When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex collector spots my Sub LV

melvin johnson

During a business meeting the other day a guy commented on my Sub LV. "I see you're wearing the 50th anniversary edition of the submariner. How long have you had it?" A quick glance to his wrist revealed a two-tone GMT Master. "Oh, I've not had it that long" I said. He said "I collect Rolexes, and I have the same watch. It's a beauty, but I generally wear my GMT." Come to find out he has the tt gmt, a daytona, yachtmaster, LV, and a few others. We spent a few days working together and talked Rolexes quite often. He also admired my GMT II from Josh and asked how many I have. I said only these two.

So here was a Rolex collector who was completely fooled by my reps. I felt a little guilty for not fessing-up because he was such a nice guy.

During a business meeting the other day a guy commented on my Sub LV. "I see you're wearing the 50th anniversary edition of the submariner. How long have you had it?" A quick glance to his wrist revealed a two-tone GMT Master. "Oh, I've not had it that long" I said. He said "I collect Rolexes, and I have the same watch. It's a beauty, but I generally wear my GMT." Come to find out he has the tt gmt, a daytona, yachtmaster, LV, and a few others. We spent a few days working together and talked Rolexes quite often. He also admired my GMT II from Josh and asked how many I have. I said only these two.

So here was a Rolex collector who was completely fooled by my reps. I felt a little guilty for not fessing-up because he was such a nice guy.

Most people would probably be fooled from a distance. I suspect you didn't take the LV off your wrist and hand it to him....

I got a similar response from a coworker about my "perfect LV Sub" from Paul. He was wearing a black bezel gen Sub, brand new. He was busting my balls that I had spent the extra money for the green bezel, maybe our company was paying me too much (we are partners in a very large group). I never took it off my wrist, but held it right next to his for a good minute, pointing out the maxi-dial and fat minute hand. Just the fact that he was not familiar with these features told me I was going to be OK on that encounter. In the past 2 months of collecting reps, he is the only person that said anything besides "nice watch", or "isn't that a funny color" (about the PO and Orange Monster).

Maybe he's one of us...

No, he collects gens. I asked to see his GMT two-tone and it's the real deal. I was prepared to hand over mine, but he didn't ask.

I think the hardcore rep collectors probably are more familiar with the nuances of watches than 99% of people who own a genuine. I had a gen GMT for over 20 years and had NO idea about all the details routinely discussed on rep forums!

the only people who know a rep right off are us. When I bought my first cn sub, I held it next to my friend's gen. The only I noticed wrong was the insert pearl and over magnification of the cyclop. I didn't know the bezel wasn't thick enough, the date window and cyclop too far to the right, the crown not centered, etc., etc. It takes time to learn all that.

-bm

I'd certainly agree with the points made above, that we probably know more about the 'tells' than a collector of genuine watches, as in those cases, they simply accept the details as presented, rather than mentally comparing it to known reps or gens. My father in law knew that my Sub was a rep, because I told him (he sells watches, straps etc) but I have never told him that my Omegas are reps, nor was he told that the J12 I bought my fiance was a rep. A few weeks back, at lunch, when he was passing, he turned her wrist to 'check the time', but he certainly gave the watch a close look. He should have realized it was a rep, as the bracelet links are solid moulded, not seperate, and some of the paint had chipped, but only in places that, at a quick glance, could be mistaken for light-reflection. Either way, he never made a comment about it, so I'm guessing he doesn't know as much about high end watches as he likes to think he does :thumbsupsmileyanim:

It's certainly true, most of the time we are in a position to spot a rep more so than gen collectors. We know what the flaws are in the reps, as we are continuually searching for that 'perfect' rep. Whereas the majority of gen owners are probably less likely to notice that the rehaut on a sub is a fraction too thin, or the two little tails on the UPO.

• 10 months later...

I feel that we're more likely to be able to spot flaws, but many people that I know are very, VERY aware that 99% of the Rolexes on the market are fake. Regardless, most people I know who own gens (including myself) wouldn't "call" someone out on having a replica watch simply based on common courtesy. If you can make someone's day with a compliment, who cares whether or not the watch is a replica?

...Now, when someone decides to try and tell me that my gens are "fake" WHILE wearing a rep and having a holier than thou attitude, I'll go right for the throat :)

True, I was picking up my Yacht-Master at customs when I notice this guy next to me with the most horrible rep I have seen o a 2-Tone Black Sub, I mean the pearl was REALLY off-center, the watch was QUARTZ, gold chipped ''oyster'' bracelet, and a bezel that said "tachymeter"... :blink:

Instead o laughing I said "Nice watch!" ... glad to say I made his day with a simple comment, he smiled until I left... :lol: