When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Will Be Missed on RWG...

beanyboy

Anybody share my sentiment that the "Members" Trading Forum kind of sucked anyway? I won't miss it. All of those super-Palped, super-lumed, MBW'd, BigRedJoed watches always left me cold. Often people were asking $400 or $500 for some sooped-up Sub that didn't look any better than a Noobmariner. Now, of course, I admit to not being as much of rep snob as some of these folks, but c'mon. Talk about taking the fun out of something.

What will be missed is checking the "Dealers" section every morning while having my coffee to see what new watches were coming out. I remember fondly the day River unveiled the new seconds at six Daytonas, or when the good Bentley reps came out last spring...Then the evolution....

Ah, yes, I remember it well.....

Often people were asking $400 or $500 for some sooped-up Sub that didn't look any better than a Noobmariner. Now, of course, I admit to not being as much of rep snob as some of these folks, but c'mon. Talk about taking the fun out of something.

What you don't understand - and that's fine - is that the customization/modding is ALL of the fun for some people.

I guess not. I admit freely that I would love to learn how to repair some of my reps. Modding doesn't really appeal to me. At any rate, live and let live. The only modding I've ever done on a rep is to toss out the crappy rep strap and replace it with a good quality one. It's amazing how Eddie's beautiful Calatrava 3919 just came alive when it recieved its new real crocodile black strap.

What you don't understand - and that's fine - is that the customization/modding is ALL of the fun for some people.

I agree - I once went into the trading forum and saw one of those $500 submariners that was "one year old but it had a genuine crown and genuine hologram and genuine hands etc"

It's so silly......

Joshua is my man - I've never strayed from him; he is a good dealer... I don't have enough trust to do trading with other members.

Narikaa is the only exception. She is A-OK....

I have to say the Members Trade Area is the bit i miss the most ... its probably the place i go to first intuatively ... For me modded watches are nifty and i can understand the high asking prices. Those projects can get costly and a lot dare i say also emotional investment goes into getting a piece to a particular standard. That being said i miss the whole Trading Area

I find it great and will be missing the trade section for the period it is gone (although when (read: if) it comes back, I'm sure there will be tons of people with stuff to sell as they lay their unwanted reps in the winders for now), how people mod their watches to a perfection, its an art, shaping, molding, forming something better and better with the knowledge of By-Tor, Chief, Flava, or Ubi or The Zigmeister or RBJ or tons of other members who modded for ages or have started to attempt to mod their watches recently. By changing inserts, bezels, dials, and hands to cases and movements, I admire them greatly :)

Anybody share my sentiment that the "Members" Trading Forum kind of sucked anyway?

No.

I agree - I once went into the trading forum and saw one of those $500 submariners that was "one year old but it had a genuine crown and genuine hologram and genuine hands etc"

It's so silly......

Joshua is my man - I've never strayed from him; he is a good dealer... I don't have enough trust to do trading with other members.

Narikaa is the only exception. She is A-OK....

Oh, I forgot: Corgi is an exception.

It is the creation or improvement of a thing with my own hands (often with the assistance of like-minded others) that makes rep collecting so enjoyable for me. And RWG, being such a wealth of useful information, makes this hobby that much better. But like someone else said, the rep genie is already out of the bottle and there are so many bottles on the map already that I think it is too late to put the cap back. I think RWG will ultimately recover and grow to even greater heights after all is said and done.

Anybody share my sentiment that the "Members" Trading Forum kind of sucked anyway? I won't miss it. All of those super-Palped, super-lumed, MBW'd, BigRedJoed watches always left me cold. Often people were asking $400 or $500 for some sooped-up Sub that didn't look any better than a Noobmariner. Now, of course, I admit to not being as much of rep snob as some of these folks, but c'mon. Talk about taking the fun out of something.

What will be missed is checking the "Dealers" section every morning while having my coffee to see what new watches were coming out. I remember fondly the day River unveiled the new seconds at six Daytonas, or when the good Bentley reps came out last spring...Then the evolution....

Ah, yes, I remember it well.....

sorry but i could not disagree more.

many of the closest friendships i have developed over the years on all the different forums i am on started with a sale. or negotiating a sale. or even a sale that didn't happen. i later introduced one friend that i met on a knife forum just that way to the woman who became his wife :D

What the hell is going on here? i fly home from San Fran and the dealer and member trade sections are gone? I've bought half my reps from other members on the forum! What is the reasoning behind this?

The trade section is important especially the one for members.....just tell me how can we sell our rep without it? Standing on the street and flash the watch or post a pic at your local supermarket...? Also, I believe the secondary market here can indirectly help the flow of rep, a member can buy a new rep after he/she sell some from the collection, and some member can pick up a rep with lower price.....need I say more?

Since most of us know the dealers website...., it only take a day or 2 more for us to find out the new products w/o the dealer trade section, not a big deal cuz you can still visit their website or album.

many of the closest friendships i have developed over the years on all the different forums i am on started with a sale. or negotiating a sale. or even a sale that didn't happen. i later introduced one friend that i met on a knife forum just that way to the woman who became his wife :D

Lucky guy, I guess...

I've proposed several times to Narikaa, but she keeps turning me down.

Something not right about that chick...

Guest RiverwindMDS
I am the opposite. There is no better feeling than buying a watch with a suspect movement or some other potential flaw knowing that some other trusted member has inspected it for you. :thumbsupsmileyanim: And I am in Chieftang's camp on modding. That is the joy for many of us.

ME TOO

Ry,

Can't beleive that "Regina" knocked you back.

Ohhh.. the synchronisty of it all.. of a rep buyer & seller.. or looking at it another way... a giver.. and receiver :p

Offshore

:serenade:

That's the Yin and the Yang of it,

The Thing 'an the Thang of it,

But I just never could get the hang of it:

This Rep Love just ain't the real deal.

My movement's dead,

My dial's a LED,

And my dealer's gone missin'

With all my WU dough :bye1:

Does anyone know how I feel?

Can anyone tell me