When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!

ubiquitous

I've been playing around with SM300 for a few months now. As Eunomians said, the genuine are getting scarce and the price is going up like a rocket. I bought a fake, it has a "genuine movement" but it is cobbled together from parts of two different calibres. a 562 and a 565. This is a Date model with the push pull quickset. Has lots of tell tale signs of being a fake, but with a new set of hands, a NOS bezel (if it fits) and a trip to Rob for a relume of the dial, it will be a passable nice watch. It's not cheap though. Bezel was 271.00, hands 80.00 and NOS dial was 161.00 , 520.00 dollars for NOS parts, plus the watch plus getting someone to put all of it together. I'll end up with a 1k fake watch (actually only the case ands caseback will be fake if I decide to use the NOS dial on it). Unfortunately, i could have bought a nice genuine in pretty good shape for 850.00!! That's why he said buy a genuine. It will appreciate, the fake won't

Parts are getting awfully hard to come by. Watchco still has some, but the "vast hoard" has shrunk. Almost no SM300 stuff. No cases, no dials, hands and bezels are still available. i think what Watchco is doing now is saving back the parts, because they buy watches that are in pretty sad shape, NOS dial,hands and bezels are put on, the movement is serviced, and they sell like hotcakes for anywhere from 950USD to almost 2k, depending on model and condition.

Great collectible watches. If you can find a good fake, and their are several on Ebay right now, with skill, you can replace the hands with a gen. NOS set and relume the dial, get rid of the "stubbies" and you got a really nice replica, with a genuine movement.

If folks are interested in more info about the fakes, click on this website: http://scubawatch.org/hallofshame.html