When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!

ubiquitous

Great choice, Ubi. There are reps, but they emanate from one Vietnamese cobbler in Ho Chi Minh City. They tend to have an OEM movement but they suffer from what is known as the "Stubby Dial". In otherwords, the dial is an easily spotted fakeroo. Most SM300s on eBay are fakes.

I think your best bet is to purchase a NOS Watchco kit (if there are any left).

My choice would be to have an original vintage piece because wabi/patina is of the essence for the SM300s. Just my opinion, but the SM300's true beauty comes out with 30+ years of wear and tear.

By the way, this same cobbler also reps IWC mark Xs, XIs & XIIs - they are not very good reproductions, but they remain the only reps out there. He also makes other various military watches such as the infamous Longines Greenlander and the Omega Type 53.

I have postponed purchasing an SM300 for many years and now the prices are heading towards a ridiculous benchmark. I should've I should've I should've... And Watchco is steadily running out of the world's last great horde of vintage Omega parts. Oh well, what new with the vintage watch game :crazy:

I'd love to add one to my collection as well, but I'd prefer to build one. Don't get me wrong... 100% genuine would be great to have, but for me the fun in this hobby is in putting things together :)

I've got an idea on where to start for parts (watchco is included in my list); maybe I'll start looking at starting a project this Fall...

That's a killer watch for sure. Buying a genuine now is probably going to be a good investment. The prices have exploded. Almost everyone at gen watch forums are desiring after one.

22060-1868.jpg

SM 300 also has similarities with the black Planet Ocean. If you look at the case, lugs, dial and crown design you clearly see it.

Vintages are the hot topic nowadays so this is intentional from Omega (when they designed PO) I'm sure.

I agree in buyin' a real one; but, I understand Ubi's desire to slap one together. It is indeed a fun route to take.

My favorite SM300 is the 1st generation version circa 1957 with the thin half acrylic & half steel bezel. Quite rare and a pretty penny these days.

I'd also take a late 60s issued RN SM300 + decomission papers. Wow.

Did Tomtofa just say "I'm in love with Ubi's bottom" ????

:o

Yeah but I haven't seen the pic's.............wasn't aware he was handing them out...........is that why they call him Randy :unsure: .................................... :lol:

Dear RWG members:

Watch co does not actually sell a kit, they just sell Omega parts from time to time. You must hunt slowly and build up an arsenal of parts. With a little luck, patience, lots of money and lots of time, you might get all the parts that you need to build a complete a watch. This kind of project is not for the faint of heart. It might be better to seek out the Vietnamese rep.

Just like Euno has stated, this "KIT" is VERY VERY expensive and time consuming, I would not recommend it if you have trouble waiting 3 weeks for a replica..lol

But euno, how can we get a hold of these vietnamese reps? sounds very interesting.

@ Ubi

still waiting for the ass shot matey.....come on...tell them missus to take the shot already!

Just like Euno has stated, this "KIT" is VERY VERY expensive and time consuming, I would not recommend it if you have trouble waiting 3 weeks for a replica..lol

But euno, how can we get a hold of these vietnamese reps? sounds very interesting.

The seller appears from time to time on Ebay under various User Ids. He changes IDs often because there is an enitre platoon of very angry WIS military watch collectors who have been actively hunting him down for the past 7+ years for selling forgeries as authentic. He emanates from Hanoi and has been known to sell out of Thailand from places like Chiang Mai, Udon Thani, Esan province(!!!), etc... He obviously has a network of sellers tied to him. His initial whereabouts was discovered around 8 years ago when a fellow that I know (who shall remain nameless) met with him in Hanoi.

As Ubi mentioned, there are a few assorted folks who have joined in on the SM300 counterfeit racket. So there are other sources out there these days.

As far as building a frankenwatch from Watch Co parts, suffice it to say it takes time, money and luck to gather all the parts.

I am excited to see folks attempting to do this. My personal feeling about it is that it's best to buy OEM. Who wants a fake military watch? Not me, unless it is an OEM 5513 franken with all OEM parts since the 5517 is now unobtainable by us poor mice. SM300s are still reasonably priced since Omegas have always been the so-called #2 and not #1 watch.

Oh yeah... I need to get that butt shot for you chaps ;)

Preferrably whilst wearing chaps! :gathering: