When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are the new Chopards too expensive?

Usil

I like the new Chopards especially the white dial but at 320.00 USD plus - this just seems way too much when it just has an Asian 7750. I would think that it should be closer to 250.00 USD. Is this just me who thinks this? :whistling:

Usil

I'm with you on that. With the way the decent reps have been prioced lately I've got more money going into the Gen pot and less on reps. I am trying to hold myself to one rep every 3-4 months, whereas I used to use no discretion. If I liked it I bought it. there are quite a few reps I have been eyeing, including the Chopard, but I just can't justify the higher price tags, especially where quality is concerned.

On that note, the last rep i bought was the TAG Carrera chrono, and I don't regret it one bit. It's one of the few spectacular reps that feels so much like a gen my brain almost accepts that as truth. It was a great buy at $250 shipped. What they are selling for now is too much. The dealers can whine all day long about how risky their job is, how hard it is to make a good rep, or how they have to eat the cost of lost watches. the bottom line is these guys make plenty, they chose their livlihood, and if they aren't careful they could price themselves out of the market. If they are trying to appeal more to the unsuspecting google buyer now, why not go all the way and call themselves bluefakes?

Agreed, in general for most reps, and on this specific model in particular.

You can't get anything new under 300 dollars.

For the Chopard, after reading the various threads, I feel it's even more unfair : a 7750 which does not use the chrono features nor the seconds at 9 and has a jerky main seconds hand (whatever is explained on the reason for it). Vanilla strap ? Well... :whistling:

Of course, most owners will find it nice (which it is actually), but I think it isn't worth the price, and as many, I would rather go to the cheaper model with Asian 21J and have it modded, provided it's possible : get a black date wheel and possibly a new strap, although it does not seem absolutely necessary.

I still wonder why they chose the 7750, where any Asian21J or a Swiss ETA (with a modded datewheel) would have done the job.

I like the new Chopards especially the white dial but at 320.00 USD plus - this just seems way too much when it just has an Asian 7750. I would think that it should be closer to 250.00 USD. Is this just me who thinks this? :whistling:

Usil

No Usil, it's not just you. I agree it's too much and should be around 250.00USD. If it wasn't for the price, I'd have bought the white face version by now but instead I'm saving my money for the IWC Cousteau when it comes out. I guess the Chopard will come down in price once the initial enthusiam has died down.

Slightly Off Topic:

If u want expensive, just grab a March issue copy of Watch Time magazine and read the article about the new Patek Nautilus.

No movement complications, all stainless steel, no gold or any precious stones - totally unchanged watch from previous edition: $17,000 USD.

In the April issue of Watch Time, there is a letter written to the editor complaining that Patek "has some serious nerve asking for so much money for such a nothing watch".

I would bet that the dealer sales would increase 10 fold if they just postioned the watch - or for that matter - any new rep at around 215 to 250 depending on complications. After that I do not buy. I will wait for member sales and of course, that does not help the dealers at all.

Usil

Sorry, did I miss anything ? I only see white wheels...

Epoch's deal is interesting, but I would buy from Andrew now as I ordered a Breitling Steelfish from him yesterday...

If someone has a link (PM please, not to be against forum rules).

Thx

I thought it was worth it. The addition of the genuine AR coating, the solid buckle and the genuine looking movement made it worth it to me. Th attention to detail and finishing is excellent, comapred to the cheap one. The dat mag is not nearly as good, the AR coat is that ugly simulated coating, and the quality of the buckle is far apart from the ultimate. That being said, the jerky hand is a downside, but fortunately that is also a problem on the genuine.

And to a poster above: They used the 7750 in this watch because it is the movement that the genuine uses. Actually, the genuine uses an ETA Valgranges movement, which is based off the 7750 anyways.

My 21j asian has the white date wheel, but to tell the truth i really don't care. I love the watch despite it's inaccuracies plus it looks really good on a brown gator strap :) This is a cheap rep pam strap, I have a better one on order now actually. The best part? Only $112 from TimeSwiss. And on the 7750 topic..aside from the new Ferrari Chrono, I've pretty much sworn off that movement as well, just too flaky for me.

240431-10005.jpg

240431-10006.jpg

Doopey, are you sure ? There are only white date wheels on his website...

thx

Yes I told him that other dealers have to black date wheel version.

This was his answer:

"You can order the Black Dial version from my webstore and then state in the Special Instruction Box that you want the Black Date Wheel".