When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep as a gift

anonymous

I'm not talking about to someone who knows its a rep and ok with that (I know i would be). But someone who doesnt know anything about watches/brands, and buying them a good quality rep with a good movement (probably not a swiss though).

A good rep is still a lot nicer than some cheap brand, but it would rather embarassing for somewho wearing a watch if someone pointed out to them that they were wearing a rep without knowing it.

It's simple.

Tell that special one, it is a replica.

fitmic is right. As long as you choose a rep with a good quality movement, get it serviced and waterproofed and tell the person you're giving it to it is a rep but explain that it's a quality watch in it's own right, I don't see any problem. I would also get the gift box as well; it makes the whole thing more special than giving the watch in a bag of bubble wrap.

If you can't tell the person it is a rep then don't give it. There is no upside. Good quality reps are not cheap and you could take the same amount of money and buy them something nice. :) They will think you have bought them a very expensive gift (most likely too expensive if you don't know them well enough to tell them its a rep) and they will be hurt or [censored] when they find out it is a fake. Now if it is some woman you are taking out for a wild weekend and don't expect to see her again... Just kidding. Don't do it.

Nope, the people that would appreciate them will have a strong enough opinion on watches etc to either be for or strongly against reps. If its just somebody that has little or no interest in watches only to wear it to tell the time, then they wouldnt appreciate a rep and you may as well get them a seiko with a warrantee and box. If on the other hand you insist on buying reps as presents drom me a PM and Ill take one of your hands!

Tricky - since you never know how they feel about 'Fake' watches. There is no doubt that you have to explain that it is a rep or the first time they take their prize posession for which they have so much love and respect for you for giving it to them to an AD for service - your busted. I don't even want to think about the consequences.

Usil

Pen/bag - yes

Watch - no

There are enough people wearing Rolexes already... reps are becoming too popular as it is. We don't need to introduce more people to the hobby. I'm tired of seeing every 10th person on the street wearing a Rolex.

I'd say it depends on how well you know the person, but definitely tell them its a rep.

Beware that you often end up being quality control (especailly if its family) if it has problems and that puts you in an akward position, unless you like working on them.

Just my .02

I bought a DayDate for my mum, got the box the whole lot, all from Josh, It was supposed to be for xmas but arrived a tad to late (not the dealers fault) so i gave it to her next time i saw her, Easter. I told her it was a rep (she knows i collect reps) but would not believe me at first. She wears it all the time, washing the dished ect and tells me it keeps perfect time, she loves it and knows what it is, a rep! The best bit is my mum works in a very posh privately owned furnature shop and her boss is a stuck up cow by all accounts (old money). When she noticed the Rolly my mum had, she went an checked the price at the AD then inquired how my mum could afford a rolex on what they pay! My mum just smiled and said "because my son loves me" and walked off, it made her week!

She also collects boxes, not any old cardboard boxes but gift ones, and said she would have been happy with just the box.

BUT it would never give one to some one who thought it was real, that is just wrong.