When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch Winders

bbell6

I want to get a watch winder and based on what I've read here, a Euilux is a safe bet. However, I was wondering if there are any cheaper ones of similar quality? Also wondering what people think of the bergeon watch testers? Will these work as winders?

I've recently done a lot of checking up on this subject. The bottom line, unless you get scammed, you get what you pay for. Eilux is good,very quiet and reliable. If you want to go cheaper you can go with the steinhausen's from Acetimer, I got mine there. I don't think you can expect a winder to last forever, but If you want it to last for more than 2 years I'd say go with something more pricey. I doubt my steinhausen will be quiet in 6 months, and I'll be amazed if all of the turntables work in 18 months. Good luck. Oh, one more thing, avoid the really cheap ones on Ebay like the plague, my brother got one and it hasn't worked right from day one.

Good luck!

I have had good luck with my steinhausen so far. It's the 8 watch winder with 2 drawers. It started out very quiet and now makes some noise, but nothing crazy. It is nice for the volume of watches it winds, plus my Breitlings are heavy! I really need another one...

Laugh all you want, but this is the best bang for the buck: hxxp://www.amazon.com/Double-Automatic-Winder-Rotates-Hours/dp/B000FGEE7E

Very quiet and reliable. The auto timer keeps the servo motor from overheating, and probably adds to longevity. Can only say good things about them. Not pretty but very pragmatic.

EDIT: you can buy 2 double winders and still stay under 100 US

I have been very impressed with Orbita. I bought a use one on Timezone a couple of years ago and it has been awesome. One of the posts on the cup broke and I thought I would probably have to throw it out. I called Orbita and told them that I bought it used but it had broken. They said they that they always stood behind there products and that they would send me a whole new cup and pillow. No asking for reciepts, no arguing with me, no call center in another country, just pure and simple real customer service. I have to say, Orbita is a but more expensive but they stand behind even a used product. Orbita will always be my winder of choice.

I have the watch winder that is shown in the amazon URL. I bought it while I was in Taiwan. It has shredded one of the drive belts, but that is no big deal, as they are just "O" rings. When I get around to it, I will pick up another one and it will be good as new. Obviously, this winder does not like extremely heavy watches.

They have plastic drive gears and are noisy, but after I greased the gears, it was amazingly quiet.

They are screwed together and easy to work on.

If you can work a screw driver, are willing to 'grease the transmission' and can drive to the local hardware store, then you can address about any issues you may have with one of these.

Watches the size of a sub will be no problem.

By the way, I paid about $65 USD in Taiwan. The current sale price on Amazon is a steal.

Bill.

The phrase "You get what you pay for" was probably coined with watch winders in mind. There's an almost linear relationship between price and longevity.

For those who just can't wait to get their pieces on a winder, $100 for a 4 watch winder is just barely entry level. Look to pay about $80-$125 per watch to be wound for a basic quality winder that will stll be working 5 years from now.

The equation gets tough when you have to factor in the longevity of some replica movements. If you are keeping replicas with questionable reliability movements wound, does it really make sense to have a winder that will outlast most of them?????