When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cycling for a Cause

Muttsta

Wow Muttsta, my hat is off to you. What a tremendous test of endurance combined with a great adventure. I can't believe I did not see this odyssey until yesterday. It has been a great read. Wishing you a hearty congrats and a continued safe journey. :1a:

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 94 -Mexican Finale - 102.08 km

Today in the morning I once again wasn't feeling too hot. I suspect the culprit to be a Popsicle I consumed in the late hours of yesterday. This was one of those homemade Popsicles, but the thing that made it deadly was that it contained milk and not just water. I admit that it was absolutely delicious, but lurking under all that flavor was death. I eat ice cream made from milk here often, but always brand name stuff. Learn from your mistakes as I like to say. Even though my stomach was in pain and I had to visit the bathroom several times throughout the day, I pedaled onward. I don't have time for delays such as sickness!

As the day progressed I fortunately began to feel better and better. After passing through many small towns I finally made it to the larger sized city of Tapachula. Mexico's southernmost city is home to roughly 150,000 people. For this city my untrusty Lonely Planet guidebook listed the cheapest place to stay as costing $18 per night. For this part of Mexico, that's fairly steep. I decided to try my luck and try to find something else. I must be very lucky, because I managed to find a decent hotel a mere half block from the main square for only $5! My room is even fairly clean and contains a working bathroom complete with sink and shower. To sweeten the deal I have an outdoor balcony and a view onto the city's main road. I would have been happy to have paid at least twice as much!

As I made it into town fairly early I had ample time to explore the city. My first stop was the main town square, which proved to be very interesting. Trees and benches lined the entire square while vendors were located on the very outside perimeter. On the inside was a concert area of some sort as well as a water fountain. Facing the main square was a cathedral and a very beautiful museum of some sort. From the main square I dared to venture to the local market. The market at first seemed small, but it turned out to be huge. It's size is misleading as it is built atop a downhill. Thus what looked like it only had one floor turned out to have four! Every section of the market was dedicated to something different from fruits to shoes to meats. To get a sense of what this felt like, imagine a market back home; move the shelves to within a few feet of each other, age it fifty years, and throw in a bunch of people until you feel claustrophobic. Absolutely brilliant is what it is!

For the past thirty five days I have eaten tortillas with every since meal; breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I have gotten so sick of them that the mere sight of one makes me, well, sick. I opted today to try something different and went to a Chinese restaurant. I must say that the food was fairly good and for $5 was a very good deal. My only complaint is that they didn't have chopsticks. No matter where your travels may take you in this world rest assured that there will be a Chinese restaurant near by!

Today I also experienced my first dental issue of the trip. As I had braces in the past I now have a metal wire glued under my teeth to keep them from shifting. This wire unfortunately came loose on my today. Normally this would involve a visit to my dentist to get it re-glued. Since that isn't a possibility, and I'm not brave or stupid enough to visit a dentist down here, I decided to be my own dentist. With surgical precision I maneuvered nail clippers inside my mouth in order to cut this wire shorter. Fortunately I succeeded with no casualties; a permanent fix will follow back home. On this trip I have been both a surgeon and a dentist so far!

I am currently looking down at the busy city of Tapachula which is still abuzz at this late hour. Tomorrow I venture into unknown territory, namely Guatemala. Thirty five days later I will finally leave the beautiful country that is Mexico. And so the plot thickens!

Day 95

I have a lot of catching up to do having spent the last 3 weeks in hospital, but I am glad to be here in time to to say congratulations you have been inspirational and a donation is forthcoming.

Please everyone who has passed some time following Muttsta through his epic journey find it in your hearts to make some kind of donation after all he did it all for a cause.

Ken

What a trip! And thanks for shairing it with us. We were with you on each leg of the trip. Thankfully, you made it without too serious of incidents. I would bet you could sell your story to cycling magazines. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Usil