When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which Rolex GMT II is more reliable?

dvn

Hi Bill,

Are you selling yours? Is it available from any dealers here?

Nope -- I had a pair and let one go once. I thought I'd never be able to find another.

The 2836's can be decent watches - MBW GMTs are 2836's, although I wouldn't recommend the vintage MBW GMT. The GMT Master II by MBW is a much better watch.

When you consider that the 2893 movement costs more than $200, you can expect to pay a lot more for a watch with it. I have four of them (or I will have when number four gets back from Ziggy) and I also have the Explorer II with a 2893. If you read the reviews about the 2893 movement, it compares very favorably with anything out there - including gen Rolex.

That's the way to go in my view.

Bill

I'll echo what Bill stated.

The 2893-2 is one very refined & accurate movement. If you plan on keeping the watch for the long term, I would suggest spending a bit more and opting for this movement.

I've had the opportunity to compare the modified ETA 2836-2 (GMT hand at bottom of the stack) and there is just no comparison when it comes to smoothness of operation. I have three of the 2893-2's and all maintain near quartz accuracy, have been flawless operators and super smooth.

I mentioned this before & IMO, choose the movement, the watch and finally, the seller. No different than purchasing a gen. Movement problems are a total PIA and not inexpensive to fix unless you have the skills to perform the work.

Nope -- I had a pair and let one go once. I thought I'd never be able to find another.

The 2836's can be decent watches - MBW GMTs are 2836's, although I wouldn't recommend the vintage MBW GMT. The GMT Master II by MBW is a much better watch.

When you consider that the 2893 movement costs more than $200, you can expect to pay a lot more for a watch with it. I have four of them (or I will have when number four gets back from The Zigmeister) and I also have the Explorer II with a 2893. If you read the reviews about the 2893 movement, it compares very favorably with anything out there - including gen Rolex.

That's the way to go in my view.

Bill

Bill,

Do you know if the 2893 has the same stem hole position as the 2836? I wonder if I can swap in a 2893 into my GMT which has a modified 2836. Will the crown tube line up with the stem hole of the 2893? I will love for that to work. The reason is the correct hand stack GMT visuals are dead-on perfect. Check out these pics:

gen:

244567-8829.jpg

my correct hand stack gmt:

244567-8830.jpg

Near perfect visuals.

If 2893 fits, I will transfer the datewheel. Oh, I need to get a set of hands. Any idea where to get them?

- BK

- Bert

Ziggy was kind enough to take somre of my watches apart and try this. He says there is no way to put the 2893 in where the 2836 comes out. It made sense to try back then because there were no 2893's available. Now that we can buy the TW Best with the 2893, it would make no sense to spend a couple of hundred bucks on the movement and try to put it in a watch we paid a couple of hundred bucks for because the labor would make the whole thing ridiculous.

post-223-1178843197_thumb.jpg

Here's three GMTs and an Explorer II, all with 2893s.

For Better Pics, see Josh.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

A note on the 2836-2 modified GMT movements... I've had nothing but trouble with mine.

It cannot keep a constant rate... it varies from 20+ min slow a day to 1+hour fast a day, adjustments have made no difference.

The GMT hand itself seems to *slip* occasionally and drop hours behind for no reason. (i'm aware of the 24hour dial... it loses 3 hours some days... others its bang on)

When screwing the crown home... it frequently will change the date 2 or 3 days ahead, or move the hands backward 12 to 15 minutes... what a wonderful movment my watch contains that the stem doesn't *quite* fit correctly, or even incorrectly consistantly.

I'm certain a full servicing *could* fix a few of its issues, but I'm not willing to invest the time or money in it, If I ever decide to get another GMT2 rollie rep I'll be going ETA 2893.

I've had the watch on my winder for a few monthes trying to "break it in"... Not gonna happen, its "broken".

The 2836-2 might be much cheaper than the 2893 but IMHO you get what you pay for.

All the GMTS I wear now are either 2893 or 7750 based... the 2836-2 isn't up to par in my experience.

Your milage may vary and I'm certain someone reading the forums here has a 2836-2 based GMT that runs like a top, mine certainly doesn't.