When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ingy w/Mods AR & lume...

Nebakanezzar

Hey All,

Just got back my Ingy from The Zigmeister, man it looks sweet! i always feel sketchy about sending my watches to Rob due to possible custom issues, but it is always worth the stress when I get them back!

I had him send off the crystal for double AR, lume the dial and hands and service the movement.

the AR really makes a difference on this! one drag is the areas on the crystal that dont get AR...Chieftang pointed out this issue, so I was aware of it going in, but it seems like a larger area than I was expecting. over all it is not that noticable though, and I would do it again...infact I am! :) but perhaps there is somthing that can be done to adress this problem in the future.

I will post some pics over the weekend.

***Update***

Here are some pics......better late than never :)

Before:

244320-8903.jpg

After

244320-8904.jpg

244320-8905.jpg

244320-8906.jpg

More info here

Hey All,

Just got back my Ingy from The Zigmeister, man it looks sweet! i always feel sketchy about sending my watches to Rob due to possible custom issues, but it is always worth the stress when I get them back!

I had him send off the crystal for double AR, lume the dial and hands and service the movement.

the AR really makes a difference on this! one drag is the areas on the crystal that dont get AR...Chieftang pointed out this issue, so I was aware of it going in, but it seems like a larger area than I was expecting. over all it is not that noticable though, and I would do it again...infact I am! :) but perhaps there is somthing that can be done to adress this problem in the future.

I will post some pics over the weekend.

Yea, the lip marks. Someone PM'ed me on this; maybe it was you. I don't remember. Anyhow I think you'd agree that they're only noticeable under certain lighting conditions and at certain angles. Looking at all of Flav's pics, I think I only saw a lip mark in maybe one or two. I don't mind them, personally. At first, I found myself trying to find them everytime I looked at the watch. But after a few days, that obsession wore off and they rarely catch my eye now.

Unfortunately they can not be avoided (as described in the AR Reference thread linked in my signature). Long story short, for this type of durable coating the crystals must be fixtured inside the chamber with rails that have these small lips. For lesser coatings, double stick tape can be used in lieu of the rails, and then there are no lip marks. This will be the case for my single sided run. But then you won't get the durability - not even close to what we're getting. For single sided this won't matter because it won't be exposed to the elements. But for a double sided coating, nothing less than my ultra durable coating will do. Further, there is no option to recoat the lip marks without masking off the previously coated areas. And there are too many issues associated with that, not the least of which would be cost.

Arrrgh, you're killing us by not posting pics 'til this weekend. Especially for a dude like me since I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on an Ingenieur.

I'd be very interested to see the lume pics too. I tried luming mine with C1 but I will never be able to get it like the gen where the small numbered text next to the markers, 15, 30, 45, and 60 are also lumed :(

Here is a pic of the gen lume:

244437-8887.jpg

I'd be very interested to see the lume pics too. I tried luming mine with C1 but I will never be able to get it like the gen where the small numbered text next to the markers, 15, 30, 45, and 60 are also lumed :(

Here is a pic of the gen lume:

244826-8781.jpg

Does the titanium AMG version have similar lume? The numbers on the track around the dial are red, so I'm not sure if they would. :mellow:

Arrrgh, you're killing us by not posting pics 'til this weekend. Especially for a dude like me since I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on an Ingenieur.

HEHE, sorry, didnt mean to be a tease, I just dont have the time to take/post pics till the weekend.

BUT, just pull the trigger, the fit, finish and accuracy of the Ingy is AMAZING! this is one of the few reps that with a couple mods (lume, AR and date wheel) no one could ever call you out without opening the case back. Some say the hands are too short, but only ever so slightly, no one could ever tell unless they had a gen side by side, and than they still probobly wouldnt notice.

...oh, and The Zigmeister didnt lume the outer 12, 3, 6, 9 markers, I never knew they were suposed to be lumed, so I never asked him to. but I think it would be pretty dificult anyway, those numbers are very small.

@cheiftang,

Just to make sure there is no confusion, my intention was not to critisize. You have done an excelent job, and made a big effort for us...and the result is great and I have no regrets...its just one of those things that no one will probobly ever notice, but it buggs me every time I see it...

But perhaps we can make it better, maybe you can have them take a pic of whatever contraption it is they use to hold the crystals and post it here, there must be a few engineers on this board that might be able to come up with somthing very simple to improve on their contraption.....only a thought.

there must be a way to clamp the edges instead of the face....

There isn't for the durable coating due to the extreme temperatures. The steel rails expand and contract at different rate than the crystals, so if you don't have a lip or if you just clamp at the edges, the crystals would come lose and break. If you read my Reference thread, you'll see it all explained including how it's done for gen crystals and why that's not feasible for us.

The only other option would be to use a different coating entirely, which wouldn't be nearly as durable and not at all comparable to that found on gen watches. Not my cup of tea.

I've heard the lume on the gen is one of the worst around. You may have outdone the real deal with yours.

The Ingy is such a fine rep. My mother who is a jeweler agrees! I was at Tourneau in Chicago and they had no clue that it was a rep. Mine has quite a good AR coating to begin with. Datefont, smatefont.

I've modded some very nice straps for my Ingy. Haven't posted here in a while. I'll post them this weekend if I have time.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

Congrats on a great watch. My incoming Ingy will also visit Mr. The Zigmeister for a lume, AR and datewheel job.

The datewheel is the only thing missing link between your watch and the gen ingenieur. Well, that is if you disregard the IWC movement. But the ETA that comes in this one is also sweet! If you want a datewheel, I think lello is printing some more.

Love your Ingy! Hope mine looks as good.