When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Metal Stamping Tool

freddy333

I want to stamp a number into this caseback

post-3175-1178825334_thumb.jpg

So it looks like this caseback (from a Comex recently sold on Antiquorum (but with a different number))

post-3175-1178825663_thumb.jpg

So does anyone know where I can purchase a tool that will allow me to stamp (not engrave) Modern style numbers (with flat top 3s) that are 1/4" in height into the back of this case? For those who are not familiar with these tools, they are similar to the metal punch you use to set nails into wood, but they have a number carved into the tip instead of a flat point. You place the stamp against the object to be stamped and then hit it with a hammer to stamp the character into the object.

Here is a sample of the font I need

post-3175-1178824739.gif

I have located a number of different metal stamping tools, but either they have the wrong font or they are not hard enough to stamp into stainless steel (the 'hammerless' stampers are too weak).

Here is the original caseback -- the infamous 'Comex 729', which is referenced in just about every tutorial on how to spot a fake Rolex

post-3175-1178828970_thumb.jpg

Compared to that and the caseback that comes stock on most Comex reps, I think it is a great improvement and comes much closer to the version of the Comex gen in that Antiquorum sale. And after I add my own serial number, it will be unique and almost impossible for someone else to have the same one. But if you can direct me to a better caseback that is for sale (for a reasonable price), I would greatly appreciate it. And, like all of my modded watches, they can only be seen here (or on my wrist).

Yes, it is engraved. A definite shortcoming and something that I will need to address. But after I have stamped the number, the plan is to either soften the sharp engraved corners with an engraving bit (I think it was KingKiteSurf who did that with great success (it fooled me) on his DRSD caseback) or to sand the entire face to remove the sharp engraved edges and then polish it. The second option will probably result in a more authentic looking vintage watch that could have seen daily duty with a Comex diver.

Why do you need a flat top "3" stamp...can't you simply pick a number that doesn't have "3" in it?

I am not sure what number I will use, but if it contains a 3 I want it to have a flat top since I have seen this font used on another gen Comex caseback. It is also the font on the datewheel and I think it looks cooler than the round 3.