When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watches that one do not wear should be sold right away!

Stephane

I use to have 31, It was very hard to decide which watch should go. It got to a point that I spend at least 15-20 minutes in front of the mirror every morning staring at 31 watches before I go to work just deciding which watch to wear :black_eye: .

I love them all dearly, but I just held my breath decided which six should stay. I sold and gave most of it away.

Kinda tells my story HighDef...

Although my collection is/was smaller...

I was at 17 pieces and want to trim it back to about 8 or so...

Gen's & Rep's alike...

I've given away 5, sold 2, and auctioned 1 in the last month or so...

Now I'm going to do the same with a Fiddy, PAM 231, PN Daytona, LV Perfect Sub, TT Sub, and a IWC BP...

That will leave me with:

• Two Tone Sub [Gen]
  • Breitling Hercules [Gen]
  • Sector ADV2500 [Gen]
  • Cartier Santos
  • IWC FA Jones
  • Yacht Master
  • PAM 188 [Old Case]
  • Sea Dweller

And of course I'm still looking for a Gen PAM 007 and trying to figure out a way to get Neil to part with his GEN Broad Arrow...

I am learning [slowly] Ubi's statement of Quality over Quantity...

TT

I collect, but I only collect what I like. I have several in my box I like a great deal, but do not wear. However, I have sold many I don't like. The great thing with reps if after you get bored/tired of one, or you decide you don't like it, you can sell it. I bought the ti gst on the hype, and immediately sold it at a modest lost. Kept a fiddy, thought I liked it for about 4 months, and the decided I hated it and sold it at a loss too. If/when you decide you don't like one, you might as well sell it. Better to put the money on something you want than in something you don't.

I'm also culling my collection to watches that I will wear... Although I have a bunch of really nice pieces, I find that I just don't wear some... so I take that as they don't suit me.

It's not like they're going to be worth much on the open market (well, maybe in 30 million years lol)

I guess it's all boiled down to experience, and filtering through what really floats my boat.

I know I rambled on a bit long about myself but please do share what gens you are considering Mr. Pug - I am genuinely interesed to hear your considerations.

I want an IWC Aquatimer Chrono. That would be the ideal option.

I'd also like a gen vintage Sub/SD, but I'm happy with MBW vintages for now. :D

Sure, there are piles of other gens I'd like, but being realistic, I need to get an IWC first. Oh, and a Daytona.

i've once had 40 reps..now that is hoarding! now i'm down to 25 reps w 6 gens..and i'm still trying desperately to cut the number down to abt 10reps..

money:

yes, we're collectors and we shld "collect"..but i think it makes more sense to cull the watches i don't wear cause they are all gonna cost $$ to service 5 yrs down the road..and if i've nt worn them enough, i don't see how i can justify the $$ to service them only for them to be kept in the watch box for another 5 more yrs..so why nt sell them and use the money to get a super duper rep (roo w 2894/dd module?) or a gen?

wrist time:

i'm finding it hard to keep the reps in rotation cause i change watches once a week, almost always among the gen and the reps just don't get worn at all..there are some which i've spent a lot of time on to mod and in effect i don't dare to wear em in fear of damaging them..and there are some which are just impulse buys.. isn't it a waste to see em all in ur watchbox, unloved??

progression:

new reps are coming out almost every other week, a super rep almost every month..so if i keep buying and don't sell those that i don't wear, i'll end up w a room full of reps and a hole in my pocket..

i'm nt saying sell all except for one or two..in the spirit of collecting, i reckon we shld have at least a few beaters to rotate, a sports watch and a dress watch..

I don't sell any of my watches. (gens or reps)

but I don't buy many watches, I think about every watch maybe months...

and for reps, I don't usually buy the cheapo (or low quality) reps... (railmaster xxl was the only exception)

because when the watch is low quality, the desire for keeping it vanishes quickly :)

Edited by deepsea