When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Well, I guess it was just a matter of time...I have my FIRST problem rep!

diver_dylan

Just got it, second hand, from a member on here and already I have problems. I just looked down at it, on my wrist, and it had stopped! I shook it a bit, and nothing. So I unscrewed the crown to manually wind it, still nada. But in the process of screwing it back in....bam, it STRIPPED! Being [censored]/disappointed, I rapped it firmly on my palm to get it ticking...and it did. I can screw the crown one turn to keep it in barely, but its F***ed.

What are my options? Can I upgrade to gen parts?

Thanks!

Dylan

Yeah, almost from the first time I bought a rep. I figured I'd get some real junk.. it's just the cost of saving thousands... err... tens of thousands.... I've only received a couple of junkers and consider myself lucky. Oh what fun it is to have a several thousand $$$ watch on my wrist for only a few bucks... :)

Sorry to hear about your problems, the SMP chrono is a very nice rep!.. I dont know if a genuine crown and tube would fit, but as the movements are about the same it could be worth a try.

Check out the Bay, I bet they are not expensive... Good luck

Exact same thing happened to me ..

I knew from the start that the SMP chronos were bad for this but here is what I did ..

I have 2 SMP chronos , one I bought for my brother who could care less about the watch so I asked him to let me see it for a bit , well I took the case back off of mine and pulled the crown out by pressing the little button where the arrow is and then just pulled the crown & stem out , so now I did the same to his and just switched the two , his crown & stem was actually about 2 millimeters longer than mine which I thought was weird but I installed it in my watch and now it works fine and actually screws in allot farther than before ...

So I put my old crown stem back in his watch cuz he could care less if it screwed down or not and to my surprise it worked properly in his watch too ??

So , I would try just pulling the crown & stem out and cleaning the threads on it and then reinsert it and see if it works , not sure on that but try and find another crown & stem and switch the two , I am also wondering if the Gen crown & stem would work with the rep tube , maybe The Zigmeister could step in here ??

Zed

245661-8643.jpg

Hmmm, Im a fairly techincally proficient guy. I cant see why I couldnt try this! But if I did manage to screw it up, id REALLY be pi55ed at myself! Anyone know what part #'s I should use to order a new crown/tube/stem?

Thanks!

Dylan

I knew from the start that the SMP chronos were bad for this but here is what I did ..

I have 2 SMP chronos , one I bought for my brother who could care less about the watch so I asked him to let me see it for a bit , well I took the case back off of mine and pulled the crown out by pressing the little button where the arrow is and then just pulled the crown & stem out , so now I did the same to his and just switched the two , his crown & stem was actually about 2 millimeters longer than mine which I thought was weird but I installed it in my watch and now it works fine and actually screws in allot farther than before ...

So I put my old crown stem back in his watch cuz he could care less if it screwed down or not and to my surprise it worked properly in his watch too ??

So , I would try just pulling the crown & stem out and cleaning the threads on it and then reinsert it and see if it works , not sure on that but try and find another crown & stem and switch the two , I am also wondering if the Gen crown & stem would work with the rep tube , maybe The Zigmeister could step in here ??

Zed

245701-8641.jpg

Buy an ETA 7750 and send it to The Zigmeister. He shoul be able to remove the chrono seconds hand and install it into the ETA 7750 with a service. As for the gen crown and tube you should be able to aquire from Otto Frei but I haven't got a clue weither or not they will work without modding.

Or you could cut your losses and part it out to othr members needing parts.

Good luck! :victory:

You wouldnt happen to have the part #'s for the crown/tube would you? If I dont have that, Ofrei will tell me to go bed my mother. Ugh.

Also, would you be interested in doing said upgrades to mine for me? What would the price/time frame be?

Thanks so much!

Dylan

Common problem, even happened to me...

My fix, replace the parts with genuine ones, here is that post for ref:

My Rolmegamatic upgraded SMP chrono

RG

Hmmm, maybe something to consider. I guess I could use a dremel and make a decent cut. Where exactly should I cut it?

It'd be great if someone had the part #'s, so I could try and track them down on the web. I think I could tackle it myself if I really applied the energy. Or I could try to get a crown/stem/tube from Angus with my next order.

THANKS!

Dylan

If you don't care about the waterproofing, perhaps you could cut down the stem so the crown sits next to the case without screwing in. It would be just like a Navitimer or other watch without screw down crowns. That would be a no cost option.

<<snip>>

Zed

246138-8523.jpg

It's a long time since we've awarded Post-of-the-Month, but Zed - with this post you deserve it IMO. In the current climate of people requesting pre-serviced watches, and our dealers delivering 'exactly' what they asked for (ie. meaningless puff and mis-placed peace of mind for a lot more bucks), it is gratifying that someone (and please forgive me if this sounds a little patronizing) takes the initiative and sorts things out for themselves without resorting to a $500 movement swap.

X2.

D

It's a long time since we've awarded Post-of-the-Month, but Zed - with this post you deserve it IMO. In the current climate of people requesting pre-serviced watches, and our dealers delivering 'exactly' what they asked for (ie. meaningless puff and mis-placed peace of mind for a lot more bucks), it is gratifying that someone (and please forgive me if this sounds a little patronizing) takes the initiative and sorts things out for themselves without resorting to a $500 movement swap.

Hmmm, maybe something to consider. I guess I could use a dremel and make a decent cut. Where exactly should I cut it?

It'd be great if someone had the part #'s, so I could try and track them down on the web. I think I could tackle it myself if I really applied the energy. Or I could try to get a crown/stem/tube from Angus with my next order.

THANKS!

Dylan

Does anyone know how to remove the stem from the crown?

Thanks!

Dylan

Just screws off. I usually grab the stem just below the crown with needle nose pliers and twist. Be careful though, if you are shortening the stem, you must not screw up those threads. When shortening the stem, don't be too cavalier. Make your first with room for error. Install it, then take a bit more off. For my first cut, I used the dremel cutting disk. For subsequent alterations I used the cutting disk as a grinder, taking tiny amounts off each time. Also, you may have to shorten the tube slightly (I used a fine file). Hope this helps!

If done properly, the results will be perfect. Below are my two POs, one stripped and shortened, and the other not!

post-419-1179234514_thumb.jpg

Edited by andreww

I will do that very thing! Thanks!

My only concern now is the spring mechanism within the crown, I dont want to risk damaging it during the seperation.

Thanks again,

Dylan

PS Amazing job in the pic. Hope I can do anything near as well!

Just screws off. I usually grab the stem just below the crown with needle nose pliers and twist. Be careful though, if you are shortening the stem, you must not screw up those threads. When shortening the stem, don't be too cavalier. Make your first with room for error. Install it, then take a bit more off. For my first cut, I used the dremel cutting disk. For subsequent alterations I used the cutting disk as a grinder, taking tiny amounts off each time. Also, you may have to shorten the tube slightly (I used a fine file). Hope this helps!

If done properly, the results will be perfect. Below are my two POs, one stripped and shortened, and the other not!

post-419-1179234514_thumb.jpg

You wouldnt happen to have the part #'s for the crown/tube would you? If I dont have that, Ofrei will tell me to go bed my mother. Ugh.

Also, would you be interested in doing said upgrades to mine for me? What would the price/time frame be?

Thanks so much!

Dylan

@Dylan....do you mind to PM me the part number of the crown/tube? My smp is fine now but I may consider to upgrade it later on. Thanks :)