When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Daytona Vintage

tgchrono2

im interested in buying a Vintage Daytona (i prefer the Black dial with white sudials). I have seen these replicas either with valjoux or with lemania manual movements. Which one is better to choose ?

What is the size of their cases ? 40 mm ?

If you are talking about the pre-16520 Daytonas, I can tell you that the versions with the Asian 7750 movements have fully functional chronograph movements (tri-compax), but they are also self-winding (automatic), which is inaccurate for the vintage Daytonas as these were manual wind. You can always remove the winding rotor to make a sort of pseudo manual movement (at least you will not hear the rotor winding when you move the watch). But if you do that, you would almost have to also replace the rep crown and crown tube with gen parts, since the daily winding would quickly strip the threads and you would have to replace them anyway.

The versions with the 'Lemania'/Venus movements are bi-compax. That is they have only 2 working chronograph subdials -- at 3 & 9 (they have a dummy subdial at 6 (the hand in this subdial just replicates the movement of the watch's hour hand, but this can be 'frozen' by removing a gear and (permanently) fixing the hand at 12 to simulate the correct 'off' position of the subdial on the gen Daytona), but these are manual (hand-wind) movements, which is correct for the early Daytona.

Check the Collectors' section as some of the collectors here display both versions.

Which is better for you? You tell me.

I agree. The Lemania/Seagull self wind is the only way to go, IMO.

The thickness of the 7750 movement is a problem for me as well. The vintage daytonas were between 8 and 10mm. Average thickness of most 7750's is the range of 12.5mm to 14.

The difference is noticeable, and on a 39/40mm watch the smaller case size and the thicker 7750 movement don't work well for me with a 6.5 in. wrist size. Go with the Seagull movement, and freeze the subdial at 6:00 if it bothers you.

im interested in buying a Vintage Daytona (i prefer the Black dial with white sudials). I have seen these replicas either with valjoux or with lemania manual movements. Which one is better to choose ?

What is the size of their cases ? 40 mm ?

I think that Venus and 7750 are not good. Poor dial, case, movemente ecc..

If you really desire a very good 6263 or 6265 buy a case as it in photo for $ 500, a movement Val 72 $ 250, an aftermarket dial for v72 $ 200- 300 and band, hands ecc.. and you have a perfect vintage for 1100- 1300 .

post-3745-1179163301_thumb.jpg

post-3745-1179163333_thumb.jpg

post-3745-1179163355_thumb.jpg

I think that Venus and 7750 are not good. Poor dial, case, movemente ecc..

If you really desire a very good 6263 or 6265 buy a case as it in photo for $ 500, a movement Val 72 $ 250, an aftermarket dial for v72 $ 200- 300 and band, hands ecc.. and you have a perfect vintage for 1100- 1300 .

post-3745-1179163301_thumb.jpg

post-3745-1179163333_thumb.jpg

post-3745-1179163355_thumb.jpg

Yes, this is the way to go.

But: you will not find a Valjoux 72 for $250. The average price is $800-$1200 for a Valjoux 72.

Factor in all the costs before you take the plunge.

Or, buy the parts slowly over a few months. That way you won't feel like you're spending so much money on what ends up being a very small-sized little tiny watch.

Cheers :)

Yes, I was just going to inquire as to the source of a $250 (working) V72. But if there is one, please PM me asap. Seriously.

Val has a price of 500 600..... ok, but is possible to search in used watch business an old economic crono whith V72, dial or case not good ecc... for 250 300 euro

Is necessary to search, this is the amusement. I have seen sometime in vintage economic watches shops and markets, cronos whith v72 not in good conditions but whit movement working good for these prices.

Val has a price of 500 600..... ok, but is possible to search in used watch business an old economic crono whith V72, dial or case not good ecc... for 250 300 euro

Is necessary to search, this is the amusement. I have seen sometime in vintage economic watches shops and markets, cronos whith v72 not in good conditions but whit movement working good for these prices.

If you find a vintage old no-name chronograph powered with a Valjoux 72 for less than $800, you better buy it. There might still be an ignorant watch seller out there who would foolishly charge such little money, but as of 2 years ago, the price for old no-name beat up bad condition case V72 chronographs is starting at $800.

I have 2 V72 Daytonas - and they were quite costly to build.

I will never do it again. They are not worth it. I like them, but they are too small to wear in this day & age.

There are too many amazingly better V72 watches out there than the tiny Daytona.

Yeah, this is coming from a diehard lonnng-time (15+ years) genuine vintage Rolex sports model collector.

Here are two of mine. One of them is powered with a NOS Valjoux 72.

247186-8347.jpg

247186-8348.jpg

247186-8349.jpg

If you find a vintage old no-name chronograph powered with a Valjoux 72 for less than $800, you better buy it. There might still be an ignorant watch seller out there who would stupidly charge such little money, but as of 2 years ago, the price for old no-name beat up bad condition case V72 chronographs is starting at $800.

I have 2 V72 Daytonas - and they were quite costly to build.

I will never do it again. They are not worth it. I like them, but they are too small to wear in this day & age.

There are too many amazingly better V72 watches out there than the tiny Daytona.

Yeah, this is coming from a diehard lonnng-time (15+ years) genuine vintage Rolex sports model collector.

Here are two of mine. One of them is powered with a NOS Valjoux 72.

Very good photos. Thanks, I love day vintage . But my prefer is Killy. Is impossible, in my idea, realize a fake Killy. Shig......

post-3745-1179250921_thumb.jpg

Guest avitt
Very good photos. Thanks, I love day vintage . But my prefer is Killy. Is impossible, in my idea, realize a fake Killy. Shig......

post-3745-1179250921_thumb.jpg

Looks like you'll need a 72C for that one...and that remarkably rare dial. I think you can do it....

I agree it is rather small but I find all Rolex to be small. On the other hand I find the Daytona to be one of the most comfortable of all on the wrist.

I have a DW v72 case and I am also searching in vain for a reasonably priced v72, however I think it will take quite a bit of luck to find one. I think the best chance is to spread the word around to friends and hope that maybe somebody knows someone with one and is willing to part with it to a friend. :wounded1:

Good luck to all those looking, and there are many.

Did you know that DW sells them including a v72 movement, I found that amazing. :victory:

I agree it is rather small but I find all Rolex to be small. On the other hand I find the Daytona to be one of the most comfortable of all on the wrist.

I have a DW v72 case and I am also searching in vain for a reasonably priced v72, however I think it will take quite a bit of luck to find one. I think the best chance is to spread the word around to friends and hope that maybe somebody knows someone with one and is willing to part with it to a friend. :wounded1:

Good luck to all those looking, and there are many.

Did you know that DW sells them including a v72 movement, I found that amazing. :victory:

I bought this watch about 2 years ago I cant say what it is (If its a DW or not) I paid something like $580 at the time. It measures 37mm in diameter and 19mm lugs. I have posted pics of this watch on finest rolex forum and I was instantly getting offers to buy the watch for 14 to 18k one guy that lived close even offered to bring a cashiers check!

Edited by tonyp1

I bought this watch about 2 years ago I cant say what it is (If its a DW or not) I paid something like $580 at the time. It measures 37mm in diameter and 19mm lugs. I have posted pics of this watch on finest rolex forum and I was instantly getting offers to buy the watch for 14 to 18k one guy that lived close even offered to bring a cashiers check!

Somehow... I doubt it.

Please post the link.... I'd love to see that thread...

tonyp1 -- I would love to know the source for that watch. Do you have a link or contact info?

Somehow... I doubt it.

Please post the link.... I'd love to see that thread...

LOL This is watch near indistinguishable from the real thing. Sorry but most of the junk watches Ive see you guys post are the wrong case size IE 39mm and the pushers are also incorrectly symmetrical.

Edited by tonyp1

ubiquitous I also Know you go to INSANE levels on your frankens. Im saying for out of the box this watch kicks butt. Im not saying that it has anything on the watches above that have GEN pushers dials ect and costing nearly $1500. Come on there FAKES no FAKE 6263 is gonna stand a chance with someone that knows these watches.

"tonyp1 -- I would love to know the source for that watch. Do you have a link or contact info?"

Im pretty sure its a DW and last I heard the one gentleman who could source these (guy I got mine from) operates out of japan and wont ship to the US anymore.

Edited by tonyp1

Guest avitt
Im pretty sure its a DW and last I heard the one gentleman who could source these (guy I got mine from) operates out of japan and wont ship to the US anymore.

If it is a DW, then 1) you paid too much, and 2) it's got a crap movement, that's worth no more than $50.

If it is a DW, then 1) you paid too much, and 2) it's got a crap movement, that's worth no more than $50.

LOL The movment works and Ive been watching what Im sure are DW cases go on ebay for something like $900.

So are you trying to say that even though this watch is a DW its only $50.00 ???

Edited by tonyp1

Guest avitt
LOL The movment works and Ive been watching what Im sure are DW cases go on ebay for something like $900.

So are you trying to say that even though this watch is a DW its only $50.00 ???

DW VJ72 cases sell for good money on eBay. If your watch is a DW, it does not have a VJ72 case, and can't be sold for such a high price.

2 years ago, when you bought this watch, the DW's were selling for about $250.

Does your 6:00 sub-dial operate? If not, you probably have the Asian copy of the VJ23 movement. You can do a little searching here on the board, to learn more about that one.

The good news is that you can still find people who will pay about $600 for a DW 6263, so you really haven't lost any money.

Edited by avitt