When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBW Patek Philippe Aquanaut Review In Pictures

eunomians

Well, here it is:

One of the strangest yet bizarrely stunning watches ever produced - and a Patek Philippe no less!

I have been looking at the uncommon Aquanaut ever since I saw one at the Tourneau at The Forum (Las Vegas) quite a few years ago.

Everytime I'd be in Vegas, I'd go and glance at the various Aquanauts. Sometimes there were a couple of them. Sometimes there were only a few ladies Aquanauts.

Last time I was there, there were none.

This all suggests that they actually do sell from time to time. Funny, since it is such an oddball watch.

So, why didn't I order a rep a long time ago? I could not do it since I saw too many flaws on the dial of various reps. Yeah, the hands bothered me that much that I waited literally years until I was able to pull the trigger on the infamous MBW Aquanaut!

***I want to give my thanks to Paso, the seller of this MBW. Paso is an honest seller who shipped very fast. Throughout our deal, Paso exhibited excellent communication as well.

Anyhow, I was unsure if the smallish size would look less than stellar whilst on my wrist.

Boy, was I wrong.

The Aquanaut 'wears very big'.

I have no idea why, but it fits me the same as a 40mm watch.

It has the same thickness and width as my Rolex 1675. It could be due to how the crown sticks out on the Patek.

It also could have to do with the lovely interplay between brushed and shiny surfaces.

The case sides and the bezel top + sides have different finishes - this makes the watch look way larger.

Overall, it is a very nice watch. And certainly of MBW quality.

Ok, now some pics:

245812-8618.jpg

245812-8619.jpg

245812-8620.jpg

245812-8621.jpg

245812-8622.jpg

245812-8623.jpg

245812-8624.jpg

Actually the gens sell well around here. Standard weekend wear for the 7 figure bankers. ;) Get in the porsche with your chick and aquanaut and head out to the Hamptons. :lol: I didn't know an MBW existed. I may have to find one. I prefer this one to the Nautilus. It actually was one of the first watches to continue the textured dial onto the strap. Could necessitate a call-out to George. Presumably an ETA 28__ in it?

I will take a wrist shot when it's daytime over here. This will show how large the watch actually wears.

The movement is a nickel-plated (Elaboree-Grade) ETA 2824-2

Here are some more pics... You can somewhat see the different textures on the case.

Nice brushed finishes contrasted with the shiny finishes on the lovely edges/top of the case, crown guards and bezel. Like I said, the interplay of the different edges and finishes makes for a unique larger-looking asthetic.

245909-8589.jpg

Thanks for sharing, is a very interesting watch.

I had the Ed version past year and overall quality was good but the date wheel was the standard and the dial was too plain (the hobnail dial in that PP jump to the eyes).

Only two questions: the datewheel is similar to gen (maybe this MBW has a glued overlay just like the others MBW)? and the crown seems bigger than gen and the previous reps I know but is possible that could be due the angle of the pics?

thanks again

Congrats! Paul treated you and I well with our purchases. You rec'd this one while I got the jumbo Nautilus. Both beautiful watches and not a watch we can buy from our traditional on board dealers. Paul isn't a dealer, he just did us both a favor. Tim

• 1 month later...
Actually the gens sell well around here. Standard weekend wear for the 7 figure bankers.

Actually Kruzer is right.

I have seen that watch in the wrist of new CEO of La Caixa, J*an Mar*a Nin one of the largest banks here in Spain.

*milio botin, from SCH Bank wears a white stainless steel rolex daytona.

• 2 weeks later...

I think they make a version without the obsevation back which would be better for the Replica as the movement is quite different. It is a dead giveaway assuming someone looks. I think the crown sticks out a little further than on the original but that is a close call. Nonetheless I have the replica and am quite happy with it.

The Aquanaut has a transparent back like the gen.

Regards

They did make a solid caseback version, but it was 34mm in diameter. Ok if you're a lady, but I'm not, so forget it. Anyhow, I do not remove my watch for anyone to try on. They can look at it all they want, but it stays on my wrist.

Cheers

274693-2741.jpg

• 1 year later...

No matter how often I look at the Patek Philippe Aquanaut, genuine or otherwise, I think it is a butt-ugly watch. I cannot stand the minutes markers on the circumference of the dial. It is such an eyesore. However, I do admit that the datewheel, though not exactly right, is far more accurate than the fake Nautilus watches sold through the cartel. The datewheel on the fake Nautilus is too far to the left of where it should be, and that alone is a dead giveaway. Otherwise, once one gets over the datewheel, a far superior watch over the Aquanaut. Besides, most people have never seen a real Patek Philippe before, so they won't know what to look for to spot the fake.

I bought a fake Nautilus from Puretime, and I replaced the cheap strap with a hand-made alligator strap. The strap alone made a huge difference. I got rid of the fake clasp because that did not work well, and put on an aftermarket clasp instead. The result is a watch that may be a bit franken, but I've received many compliments for the watch, and more than my share of glances at it.

qxuvqf.jpg

I would give anything to move that datewheel 1.5 mm to the right, but I still love this watch. I would pick this over the Aquanaut any day.