When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Black Jones Franken

eunomians

Yes, I was one of those idiots who would go to the back of the Tourneau in Las Vegas and stare at the IWC Jones models; but, I would never buy one.

Very lovely watch, but white is not my cup of tea. I can only tell you that black is where it's at - no matter what.

So I picked up one of the fantasy black dial Jones watches for pennies on the dollar.

Ohh dear, that very shiny dial and that ugly flat sapphire crystal had to go. The combination of sapphire and shiny dial made for an impossible to read dial. Besides, I am not a fan of the sapphire crystal on the art deco IWC Jones. It makes the watch look 'cold'.

So, off with the sapphire... I slapped in a high dome acrylic crystal.

I wanted to remove Mr. Jones's signature on the dial, but found that nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol and isopropyl alcohol did not want to remove it. I guess it looks fine as is.

Then there was the issue of the forged Jones serials on the left side of the case. I stripped it off by sanding it lightly. It's gone now and I am relieved since the serial was idiotically "000/1000".

Well, there you have it. Done. And mighty fine looking, too. Right up my alley.

The watch looks very classically tasteful and has a vintage air to it.

It now reminds me of some of the oversized vintage 1920's aviator watches that I own - just my style B)

Have a look at the before & after pics. I hope that you can get a sense of the warmth that the acrylic domed crystal lends to the watch. Plus, the dial is now readable since only the dial is shiny!

Before:

251384-7449.jpg

251384-7450.jpg

251384-7451.jpg

After:

251384-7452.jpg

251384-7453.jpg

251384-7454.jpg

251384-7455.jpg

251384-7456.jpg

Glad you guys dig it! I'm really enjoying wearing this one.

I got the crystal at a local watchmaking supply shop (one of the only ones around here that sells to the public). I have been going there for many years now when I need to buy a crystal. I just give them the bezel and they come back in few minutes with a crystal that fits. This time I did not ask what the size was, nor did I measure the bezel myself (sometimes they just hand me digital calipers).

Euno the watch looks amazing , the crystal gave it whole new persona :thumbsupsmileyanim:

It takes an imagination of a watch genius to come with such an idea :thumbsupsmileyanim:

So let me suggest the next Mod ,,,, you repaint / Age the numbers to add some patina look and remove the IWC logo and replace it with : International Watch company

Wadan, I dream of owning a vintage Portugese like the one in that pic.

It's too bad that the rep dial markers do not come off without destroying the dial finish. I guess that's what happens when you make a dial out of plastic :(

I think that what I might try to do is have a dial made to the same dimensions as the rep dial. This could seriously turn into an interesting long-term project.

Cheers gentlemen! :)