When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling Rotor/Plate cover?

maxse

Guys quick question. I just thought of this.

Are there any gen breitling rotors for sale? Now I am not sure if I am looking for the rotor but basically the plate that is first exposed on the movement when you just take the case back off. So if I decide to open the caseback and without going any further it would apear to be a swiss 7750 "Breitling" movement.

An Asian 7750 misses all the Swiss tell signs (eg ETA hallmark and a fine regulator) so basically everyone can tell it's not an ETA 7750.

If it's an ETA 7750 it will never look like a gen Breitling movement, even with the Breitling rotor, as the caliber13 is covered with perlage and cotes de geneve.

Example

So why go through all the trouble....

Edited by Rolexman

Is that what it is called though? The rotor or the plate?

Basically so if someone decides to twist open the casebac it would apear to be a real breitling ETA 7750 movement.

Since the movement is hidden from view, why would it matter if it "apear to be a real breitling ETA 7750 movement", why would you want it to "appear" to be a "Real" movement, unless your trying to fool someone?

RG

Since the movement is hidden from view, why would it matter if it "apear to be a real breitling ETA 7750 movement", why would you want it to "appear" to be a "Real" movement, unless your trying to fool someone?

RG

That's precisely what he's trying to do. lmao

He posted on here and RWI that some AD called him on his rep (which he handed over) and the guy tried opening the caseback (which was idiotic of him).

I think someone needs to accept the reality of what a rep is and what it is not.

That's precisely what he's trying to do. lmao

He posted on here and RWI that some AD called him on his rep (which he handed over) and the guy tried opening the caseback (which was idiotic of him).

I think someone needs to accept the reality of what a rep is and what it is not.

Anyone who knows anything about watches, will know immediatly that it's a rep, rotor plate with "Breitling" on it or not... It's like pasting a Ferrari logo on your Yugo, and expecting people to think it's a Ferrari...

RG

gotcha. thanks guys... I guess Im sticking to not handing the watch over to anyone to inspect under any means!

Even if I had a gen, there's no way on this planet I'd let anyone open it up unless they had a complete set of tools, some silicon grease, replacement seals and a water-resistance tester.

An Asian 7750 misses all the Swiss tell signs (eg ETA hallmark and a fine regulator) so basically everyone can tell it's not an ETA 7750.

If it's an ETA 7750 it will never look like a gen Breitling movement, even with the Breitling rotor, as the caliber13 is covered with perlage and cotes de geneve.

Example

So why go through all the trouble....

actually the link IS NOT OF A caliber 13(ie eta/valjoux 7750). Caliber 13 actually IS NOT COVERED with perlage and/or cotes de geneve, but is rather stock looking in appearance. :-) 2892-A2 is however engraved.. ;-)

tbh without wanting to sound rude, the only person you fool is yourself. If someone asks if it's a rep, its a very dodgy route to take in replying 'no it's a genuine'. Imagine if the guy had have been a bit more poilte and begun talking to you about watches. If he asked you if it was a rep and you replied no its gen (but he knows full well it's not), it doesn't paint a very good pitcutre of you.

Dont take this post personally, because when I first started collecting reps, it was nice to think that people might think I had a real Breitling or a real Omega. Gradually as you get deeper into the collecting of reps, you realise that the reps are so good, it's more fascinating to the majority of people that they are just reps. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

He's a douche for doing that whether he knew or not.

Like I've said before, either here or on RWI, he did not know and was bluffing.

Be that as it may, he didn't see you in nice clothes. Still presumptive of him though especially given the casual environment. Not like you were at fine dining in your tank top and tracks.

However, I wouldn't read too much into not being called out before. Most people wouldn't even notice and those that do likely wouldn't even care; certainly they wouldn't be so rude and classless to make a scene and call you out.

You're on a forum full of watch freaks. People here care about watches and know them. Most people never have heard of Panerai, Breitling, etc. They know Rolex, Omega, Tag, Movado, Cartier, etc. The average individual thinks that it's just a watch on your wrist that maybe cost a couple hundred rather than a few thousand.

Then there are people like myself. I like watches and know some of the expensive ones (surely the brand if not the specific models). If I was at that party, I might have looked at you and thought that your watch wasn't real but I'm not so crazy into watches that I'd approach you to talk about it - rep or gen. So for every one time someone gets called out, there are probably 50 where they might be sized up but nothing said. Yup, even at ADs where people think they've pulled on over. A smart AD would never try to embarrass a potential customer.

Wear what you like. I'm of the camp that thinks you should have something on that you could reasonably afford but I wouldn't wear a watch that I didn't love just cause it fits my budget when something else I prefer doesn't. However, if I decide to sport an $80k watch, I'm going to have to expect that I may be called on it by someone who recognizes that that watch is way out of whack with everything else e.g. my car, clothes and house.

If you do usually dress the part, etc. then wear your GT with pride and without worrying and that guy can go screw himself for being a presumptuous ass.

Good luck to you. Again, it's my opinion that you're taking this way too badly when you want to go as far as to try and pretend it's a gen to someone opening the caseback.

If it's going to affect you this much to be called on your rep, you're likely in for some more heartbreak and sorrow in the future. Realize that the guy was an ass and always will be an ass most likely and put it behind you. Be happy that you enjoy your watch. When it becomes about what other people think, you're always going to be on edge. I'm about 100% sure that that guy forgot about you around 2 seconds after he'd said his bit all proud of himself for trying to put you down. Yet you are continuing to dwell on it.

You've got some good advice on how to handle it in the future so I hope that you will take it and be more confident next time.

By the way, it shouldn't have to be said but IMO you've also had some pretty horrible advice (where I hope the posters were joking). Stooping to his level and being rude (there's nothing wrong with putting him in his place in a tactful manner though e.g. the comment about how you bought it for $3; showing how little you care for his opinion or even better, the one about how he shouldn't need to open the caseback to tell it's a rep and therefore sucks at his trade, thereby showing him up) or resorting to any kind of violence would make you even more of an ass than he is (to me anyway).

Non one has ever asked straight out if it's a rep. Usually people don't. But if you call me out, I want you to prove it! I was just thinking it would feel so good to have him open it and stare at a breitling movement lol.

But honestly, the more I think about it the more I realize what an a** this guy is. I mean what if it is a real watch and he made a mistake. He is going to compromise the seals etc.. just to prove a point. And I guess the fact that I handed him the watch to "test" kind of helped gfiving it away because if it iwas really a $7,000 watch no way in hell someone would do that. Oh well, lesson learned :)

Thanks again everyone for your helpful opinions and posts.

actually the link IS NOT OF A caliber 13(ie eta/valjoux 7750). Caliber 13 actually IS NOT COVERED with perlage and/or cotes de geneve, but is rather stock looking in appearance. :-) 2892-A2 is however engraved.. ;-)

Man, why don't you do some research before posting? I know it's a caliber17 and not a Caliber13 movement but it is just an example!

These pics are taken from the Breitling Chronolog. Is this not a Caliber13 movement? Isn't it covered with perlage and cotes de Geneve?

255276-6581.jpg

255276-6582.jpg

255276-6583.jpg

I rest my case....

Edited by Rolexman