When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Something old, something new, part II

Nanuq

People asked for some more photos, here are a few more REALLY nasty quick ones. Sorry for the quality!

Randy, do you remember the discussion we had a year ago about the different styles of Triplock crowns? This is what I was talking about.

254452-6678.jpg

254452-6679.jpg

254452-6680.jpg

254452-6681.jpg

People asked for some more photos, here are a few more REALLY nasty quick ones. Sorry for the quality!

Randy, do you remember the discussion we had a year ago about the different styles of Triplock crowns? This is what I was talking about.

254498-6673.jpg

254498-6674.jpg

254498-6675.jpg

254498-6676.jpg

omg pardon my ignorance... i thought thats a painting :S until u said photos.. but anyway nice watch :)

Guest avitt
Is there a way to add that texture to an MBW dial?

It's easy to do, with a few coats of clear matte varnish. (But don't expect results like above...)

Edited by avitt

Thanks, Avitt. How close (to Nanuq's gen dial) does a few coats of varnish get you?

Do you have any close-up photos of a varnished dial? Or, better yet, a comparison photo of a gen next to a varnished rep dial?

I know that Ziggy varnishes some of his dials, but I do not think I have ever seen the same texture (as the gen) on any of his dials.

The aftermarket dials that PolexPete and I got have a very gen-like texture. This is one of the reasons I bought one even though I knew it had some serious problems. This was the first aftermarket dial I have found that had that texture and (mostly) gen-like printing. If I can find a way to widen the bottom of the crown and 6 & 9 index markers, I would swap it out for my MBW dial in a heartbeat.

254663-6662.jpg

Guest avitt

Freddy, here's the dial that I showed you earlier (the one that I relumed with Revell paint), after about 4-5 coats of varnish. The pic is lit from an extreme angle. I think that 2 coats would probably suffice to just add texture.

254703-6660.jpg

...Now, unfortunately, the varnish reacted with the lume paint, and turned it very yellow (but you can see that the rest of the print on the dial remained white).

Sorry to hijack your thread, Nanuq...but you knew you that your pictures would spawn several sub-topics :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Freddy, here's the dial that I showed you earlier (the one that I relumed with Revell paint), after about 4-5 coats of varnish. The pic is lit from an extreme angle. I think that 2 coats would probably suffice to just add texture.

...Now, unfortunately, the varnish reacted with the lume paint, and turned it very yellow (but you can see that the rest of the print on the dial remained white).

Thanks Avitt. Varnish, huh? I will have to try that.

By the way, is that your original MBW dial?