When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

proof that the normal public knows nothing about watches

cableguy

Of course they don't.

I could very well be that guy. I like watches but I'm not fanatic about them. I certainly don't know all the intricacies and details of them all and owning one watch doesn't make anyone an expert on all watches by the same maker e.g. Rolex.

A more accurate test would have been if he had the gen to your rep. Then he might be able to notice any subtle differences.

But even then, maybe (more likely probably) not on one of the better reps.

Most of the public, as long as the watch feels substantial and there're no obvious flaws such as a crooked marker, tilted pearl, etc., wouldn't have a clue. The biggest source of doubt would be whether they think you should own that watch. I refer you to the thread about "getting called out".

Having said all of the above, it's still a nice feeling to "pass muster". :D

Edited by Jumbie

Personally I don't give a rats ass if people spot they are fake... Please do and you have a nice discission on where, what etc. It is a sport... and a hobby.... I am not trying to fool anybody... Often it's one of the first things I tell... I tell them that with replica's I am in the position to own many beautiful pieces instead of just one!

I have yet to run into anyone who isnt absolutely facinated by the world of high end counterfeits. The vast majority of individuals who are aware of the black market for replica watches only know of the crap. My cousins husband is a guy who drives a 911, owns houses in Florida, Aspen and New York, and proudly showed off his Canal Street Asian 21J Summer Blue Submariner at Christmas saying "Can you believe this great watch only cost me $50...and it looks just like a real Rolex!!!! No one can tell." After a 20 minute discussion and websurf, he was facinated by the world of "perfectclones" and he now owns 3 quality replicas. I love converts!!!

When ppl think you are wearing a fake watch usually is because based on the way you look/dress.....more than the watch itself.

I'm NOT saying a guy driving a 1995 Honda Civic cannot afford a gen HBB or Daytona but we know the chance is slim in general. On the other hand....who would think a guy driving a 911 with 3 house (using CC's example) will have a rep TT Rolex on his hand??

I guess the key is dress appropriately and wear it in confident :)

Yes, the general public has NO IDEA about spotting fakes, but more importantly, 99% aren't trying to.

Every rolex, or omega I see, I'm looking at the details. On the contrary, most people look at a watch as a piece of art (the way I used to!!!).

I was at Hibachi the other night with a group of 14 friends. Someone noticed my LV277 and asked to see it. Of course I let them, and they passed it around the table. Everyone liked it, because they were all looking at a watch to see if they liked the style, questioning it's authenticity wasn't even considered. And for the most part, unless you are like one of us, you don't care about rehaut, lume, bezel alignment, pearl, subdial spacing, etc. etc. etc.

I agree with everyone here, no one spots a fake if they don't suspect you are faking it.

By the way, to confirm once more that the general public knows very little of watches, I got this question at dinner the other night.

"Aren't Audemars the ones with all the stuff on them, the moon and sun??? Or are those the Ulysee Nardin's?"

Of course I went into a lengthy answer, but after bottles of Saki, I doubt anyone remebers. Honestly, I was more impressed that some of my friends knew Ulysee Nardin, or Audemars Piguet.

Cheers

As a general rule, I doubt most people know anything expensive outside the Rolex name. I know until I came across this forum I had never heard of half the names, although I was never looking for a Rolex, to me it seems more like an old man watch, but as for AP, PP, Panerai, I had never even heard of them. Now I am looking for my second Pam... ;) In fact, until finding this forum, I never even thought Omega were a decent brand - although they were Swiss, I thought they were on the same level as Swiss Army watches. As such, I still don't really want an Omega. But maybe one day.

To be honest, I like having the more obscure brands on my wrist that people don't know just because they look good.