When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How close to gen are the latest style men's Datejust reps?

itreeman

I have one from Ruby and it is really good. :thumbsupsmileyanim: It is a two tone version with domed bezel and oyster bracelet. I swapped the dial for a genuine Rolex Anniversary one in charcoal with gold Arabic markers. The dial was not bad but in no way could it match the genuine dial. Here is the photo with the gen dial. Please forgive my poor picture taking skills.

260155-5605.jpg

Here is another in all stainless steel Datejust that Came from Ruby. I also put Genuine dial in this one.

260155-5606.jpg

Overall, I am very happy with the quality of the new Datejusts and will be very good even without a dial upgrade.

Cheers

I have ordered 2, one for my mum and one for the wife of a friend, both are very good, but the dial on both was a touch off centre. These were both the Daydate though, salmon dial, stick markers, both keep perfect time( as reported by the owners both ladys over 50, when asked how many seconds out a day they just look at me blankly, my mum has not reported being late for work once) They are the mens versions though as with failing eyesight this is easier to read than a small version.

I believe that almost all reps are made by the same manufactures with the exception of MBWs. Josh is a Good dealer and sells good watches. The difference between Ruby and Josh is that Josh is a drop shipper like Andrew and others. Ruby actually takes delivery of the watch before shipping and then sends photos for inspection before shipping. It is a nice service. I have purchased from Josh and Andrew and have been very happy with the watches I received.

The gen dials fit fine. I have put them on Asian movements and on an ETA with no problems. The legs have to be removed and the dial glued to the movement. But those are the only modifications necessary.

What Datejust model did you buy?

Great info guys, thank you.

Freddy, that makes a lot of sense, good rule of thumb.

Raijor, I ordered one from Joshua and it looks very nice I wonder if Ruby's are the same? Did the gen dial fit without any mods?

Thanks!

fxrandy-"my mum has not reported being late for work once"

...LOL too funny. Yeah these ETA movements are generally darn good right out of the box.

Raijor, my guess is they are probably the same too but I think eddie lee for example gets different watches, and there are a couple different versions for a few models. Anyway I got the Salmon + Roman Numeral SS version...

260375-5564.jpg

...LOL too funny. Yeah these ETA movements are generally darn good right out of the box.

Raijor, my guess is they are probably the same too but I think eddie lee for example gets different watches, and there are a couple different versions for a few models. Anyway I got the Salmon + Roman Numeral SS version...

260463-5546.jpg

I dont know if it is the photo but is your dial not quite in the middle as well, it looks like the space between the outer black line and the rehaute is grater at the bottom than the top?

I never had the opportunity to purchase from Eddie Lee but read very good things about the quality of reps he sold. You have a real attention getter there - very nice Datejust. Cheers

260564-5536.jpg

fxrandy, you know that honestly I had not even noticed that. I just took a look at the watch right now and it is off ever so slightly, but I think the camera angle is exagerating it a bit too.

Thanks raijor. Yeah, I'm quite happy with the watch just have not had the opportunity to compare it to any of the newer style gens.

Thanks again for your input guys.

It is so easily over looked, sorry to have pointed it our really, My mum never noticed on hers. If any one ever gets such a close looks and wants to call you out, they are close enough to grab round the wind pipe and poke there eyes out, that way they will know it is rude to do such things.

I gave my lady a '06 White/Silver DJ (Men's Size) and she loves it! She didn't know any better and wandered into Tourneau last week wearing her DJ.

She started browsing and was approached by a sales rep. He commented on her tastes in watches and started showing her other Rollies, Cartiers, and Bvlgari watches. She tried on a few and the rep never said one thing about her DJ!!!

After she told me this, I chastised her and told her never to do that again unless she is wearing one of her gens...Silly girl! :rolleyes:

It is so easily over looked, sorry to have pointed it our really, My mum never noticed on hers. If any one ever gets such a close looks and wants to call you out, they are close enough to grab round the wind pipe and poke there eyes out, that way they will know it is rude to do such things.

LOL...Man, that is too funny...that is exactly how I feel. I would seriously take it personally if someone tried to call me out in public in hopes to humilate me. Now if they approached me in a more subtle way that is a different story but a public calling out would really make me want to poke their eyes out... :black_eye:;)

I gave my lady a '06 White/Silver DJ (Men's Size) and she loves it! She didn't know any better and wandered into Tourneau last week wearing her DJ.

She started browsing and was approached by a sales rep. He commented on her tastes in watches and started showing her other Rollies, Cartiers, and Bvlgari watches. She tried on a few and the rep never said one thing about her DJ!!!

After she told me this, I chastised her and told her never to do that again unless she is wearing one of her gens...Silly girl! :rolleyes:

That watch is very nice. I went back on forth for a while on whether or not to go jubilee band + fluted bezel OR oyster + smooth bezel. The watch is for my wifey as well so I ended up going jubilee b/c she loves her lady dj which is also jubilee but oyster + smooth is super nice. The pic I posted was before I sized the watch for her...I am no longer allowed to wear it. I have a similar story regarding an ad and her wearing her lady dj while trying other watches...no problems at all, very similar experience.