When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine Crown & Tube for 1680

tgchrono2

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this an early Twinlock?

No correction from me, same as I have installed on my 6541/6542 'patient' :D

Euno, aside from your frustration in sourcing that tube, would have thought there are obvious practical benefits in upgrading to triplock tube anyway?

You are right Doc, Triplock is the way to go, but since I have a NOS Twinlock crown (and a worn one on my 5513), I figured that I'd try to get the correct tube.

Usually, it does not take me years to source Rolex parts - maybe a year or so at the most. But this tube has been elusive!

I might have to throw in the towel and find a NOS Triplock set and have it installed :boat:

Euno -- Is the watch in use now? If not, I would install a Triplock so you can wear the watch while you continue the search. Otherwise, if it were me (I never swim/dive with my better watches), I would want to keep it as close to OEM as possible, so the correct crown & tube is the way to go.

Do you know which style of 7mm Twinlock tube you currently have on your watch? Is it the old style, which has the splines that mate with the Rolex case tube tool in the narrow (inner) end of the tube, or is it the new style, which has the splines in the wider (outer) end?

You may already know this, but since you are having trouble locating the correct part, this info may be of some help. The 24-600 6mm Twinlock crown that I have will only fit the newer style tube. The shank of the crown will not slide through the narrow end of the old style tube (the opening through the narrow end of the tube is smaller). Your Twinlock crown may only fit 1 of the two styles.

Guest avitt
You may already know this, but since you are having trouble locating the correct part, this info may be of some help. The 24-600 6mm Twinlock crown that I have will only fit the newer style tube. The shank of the crown will not slide through the narrow end of the old style tube (the opening through the narrow end of the tube is smaller). Your Twinlock crown may only fit 1 of the two styles.

I don't think this will be too much of a concern, as Euno is dealing with a 7mm Twinlock, and the tube is larger overall. I think that all 7mm Twinlock tubes will be "old" style.

Euno, it occurs to me that a potential solution would be to grind down the top (unthreaded) part of a 7020 tube...Unfortunately, there's no way to know if this would work, without sacraficing a very expensive tube.

(On second thought, you could find out by grinding away the top of your old crown, until it was just a donut with threads, and slipping it over the 7020 tube. That would tell you if the threads matched...)

Thanks guys for the input.

I am still confused as to what I should do. One thing is for sure, I will never expose any of my OEM vintage watches to moisture.

It is an interesting idea to file down the top of the old crown and see if the threads match. I might try that - especially out of sheer curiosity. As is, the crown is aesthetically quite worn on. I certainly would not use it again.

Perhpas I will try and procure a NOS 24-702 crown since I have a 24-7020 tube on its way to me as I type.

*Edit: I have a 7mm Triplock crown, but I am not sure which model it is. I suppose that both the earlier 702 crown and the later 703 crown share the same thread tap? In essence, what I am getting at is that perhaps all Triplocks fit the older 24-7020 tube? Once I get the 24-7020 tube in the mail I can test this out, but until that time comes, I remain at this board's mercy :blush:

One thing is for sure, I will never expose any of my OEM vintage watches to moisture.

Eminently sensible Euno, absolutely not worth the risk or trouble to rectify :unsure:

Whilst I understand your purist WIS-h ( ^_^ ) to keep your baby as OEM as possible, I think in terms of longevity (as in heirloom timelines) you'll be better served by going Triplock anyway...may as well do it sooner rather than later.

Whatever you decide though, best of luck - keep us posted and if you're still adamant on the twinlock, I'll keep my eyes peeled this side of the Pond ;)