When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine Crown & Tube for 1680

tgchrono2

If you're looking for genuine parts, the correct crown and tube for the 1680 is the current crown and tube assembly for the 16610. Part # 24-703 and 24-7030. It is a 7mm crown.

Older crown and tubes like the 24-700 and 24-702 could also be used, but they are more expensive and the 24-703 assembly is the latest and best unless you're trying to return an old gen back to it's original condition. Rolex updates older subs with the 24-703 assembly when servicing older watches.

When buying on ebay, you have to be careful, because other numbers are often times used and older crowns don't fit the newer tube. Used 24-703 crowns are easy to find and then you can get an aftermarket tube from a place like Clark's Watch Supply (Nostalgia2000) on ebay and it should work out OK.

Timeman (www.timeman.net) is the best deal for used 7mm crowns; 3 for $60. Aftermarket tubes from Clarks or Raymondleejeweler ("best offer" has gotten me some deals) work very nicely and good quality too.

FYI, I wouldn't deal with that jerk at Helfands! :p -I purchased a few from them and one broke upon installation and I brought it up with them he said that has never happened with any of their tubes in 9 years.

I have also had problems with Rolex parts from Helfands, gen & aftermarket. Although he was helpful (and even put me into contact with one of his watchmaker friends to assist me), I got some (old style) gen Twinlock tubes and neither had any splines on the inside, so there was nothing for the Rolex tube tool to interlock with (and having to install what is supposed to be a gen part using a file is not acceptable in my opinion). I also got a couple gen Twinlock crowns that looked correct at first, but when I compared them to another Twinlock of the same vintage I have in a sealed Rolex package, it does not quite look the same (slightly different color and the single line under the crown is different).

If you are looking for the best aftermarket tube (and do not want to pay for the gen part), I would recommend Cousinsuk.com. If you are outside the UK, shipping charges can almost double the total cost, but the part that screws into the case is longer on their tubes than most of the other (otherwise good) aftermarket tubes. I cannot remember whether Clark's sells the longer tube or not. If they do, I would recommend Clark's too.

Does anybody know the parts number for the earliest Twinlock 7mm Crown Tube? I need one badly for my NOS Twinlock Submariner Crown (my tube is almost stripped).

If you're talking early twinlock for a 5513 where the crown just has the Rolex logo on it, wouldn't that be the 24-7000-1 tube?

Earlier than that, I don't know. Larrymoecu (Mark Rosenberg?) up in NYC has those old parts from time to time on ebay. I got the 24-702-1 crown from him a while back.

Are you sure you'll get what he says he's selling? There's currently an open controversy with Bodo.

Caveat Emptor?

I know the story and i know Bodo personally.

Bad but i think Bodo didn't know about his 1680 its not a MBW...

I think he is a trustfull guy,never a problem with him.

And the Sets are fantastic,look at my watches...

If you're talking early twinlock for a 5513 where the crown just has the Rolex logo on it, wouldn't that be the 24-7000-1 tube?

Earlier than that, I don't know. Larrymoecu (Mark Rosenberg?) up in NYC has those old parts from time to time on ebay. I got the 24-702-1 crown from him a while back.

I think that you might be right. Somewhere in my old laptop, I have the info. But that computer is, well, dangerous to even turn on.

Mark hasn't had this part for years. None of the usual suspects seem to ever have it. Oh well, I guess I must continue to wait for one to show up on Tha 'Bay.

BTW, much appreciated, cheers :)

Yep, Euno, it might be a scarce part, being 35+ years old.

BTW, I can never get Mark's ebay name right. Here's one of his current auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SS-Rolex-Submariner-Se...1QQcmdZViewItem

This would be the 24-703-1 crown, but a little pricey IMO.

He's a nice guy. Here's the crown that I have. I actually got it in Finland a while back. The crown and tube on my 5513 is quite worn and I would like to retain it in 100% original condition. I have almost given up over the years and upgraded it to Triplock. Just need the tube.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Very-rare-SS-Rolex-Sub...1QQcmdZViewItem

Guest avitt

Euno, I think you're looking for a 24-7020:

260888-5471.jpg

260888-5472.jpg

260888-5473.jpg

...There's only one source that I know of for these - Jensen's jewelryandwatch.com - at $150 each.

Euno,

Your crown is the earlier 24-700 w/o the three dots and is the twinlock. The tube on the 24-702 assembly would mean changing out your crown also, as it says in the tech blurb. I had the 24-702 assembly on my 1680 but had to update to the 24-703 assembly. Both are referred to as triplock.

I'm confused. It might be due to the extraordinary amount of food I ate for dinner + tequila that I poured down my hatch tonight.

- My crown is indeed the earliest Twinlock (no dots or line under the crown). I take it that it is #24-700, or is it 24-7020?

- The crown tube on my 5513 is Twinlock #210 and is identical to the one in the first pic that Avitt posted above.

So does that mean that crown tube 7020 will not fit my Twinlock crown?

Since I already have another NOS Twinlock crown, I'd like to replace my crown and crown tube with an original Twinlock system. My 5513 has never been upgraded to Triplock.

I have a NOS 24-7020 tube on its way to me. I suppose it will fit my Twinlock crown?

Euno,

The 24-7020 tube will not fit your twinlock crown. You could however pick up a 24-702 crown and install the tube and crown assembly and have something that's earlier than the current 24-703 assembly. Mark moelarrycu has the 24-702 crowns from time to time, that's where I got mine.

Logically, you'd think Rolex would keep all of the thread sizes and pitch for the Submariners the same. Rethreading an ss case makes no sense to me. But it would be best to find a watchmaker to check it out w/ first.

Neverthelss, here's a crown from Mark:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-SS-Rolex-Submarin...1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck.