When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lewis Hamilton wears TAG Heuer

Pugwash

I really hope Hamilton will win the WDC. For some reason I can't stand Alonso... there's something so ghey about him. And his last whiney about McLaren favoring Hamiton was LAME and uncalled for.

If Hamilton continues to drive the way he has this season (never finishing further back than where he started is amazing for a 1st year guy) I dont see Alonso sticking around McLaren. Ferrari will pick him up and then we will have an F1 season to talk about. Hamilton in McLaren, Alonso in Ferrari red....oooohhhh Im getting giddy just thinking about it. Throw Massa in the mix and whomever McLaren fills in with. Damn.... I love this sport.

I love this sport.

Yeah, so do I. There's always the excitement about the overtaking... and which race of the season it takes place. :lol:

Seriously, the "soap opera" around F1 is often more exciting. Those guys are such prima donnas.

Zzzzzz.........hrmmpph? What, you guys still talking about current F1 stuff? Sorry must have dozed off there :yawn: thought this was a Tag Heuer subforum ;)

Seriously though I wonder if anyone can convince me otherwise as I just don't get it. I feel F1 stopped being a sport when the technical aspect took over from competitive and unassisted driving skills. Also the dearth of any genuine characters amongst the drivers - I'm not old enough to remember the likes of Fangio and Moss, but Hunt, Fittipaldi, Piquet, Prost, Mansell, and the incomparable Senna all seemed to be a breed apart combining genius with aggressiveness...unlike the dull automatons that inhabit the cockpits these days, pushing buttons when told to via headset comms. The only modern-era character - an anomaly and the last of the kind - was Eddie Irvine - top bloke - who celebrated his first F1 GP by deliberately cutting up Senna, receiving a post-race punch in the face for his troubles, which Irvine graciously accepted he probably deserved :D

Characters aside, I actually remember when positions changed every lap at one or two corners, when scientists tried to work out what other drivers couldn't - just how Senna was so fast (turns out he braked and changed down gears much later into corners and used his small feet to 'heel-toe' keeping the revs up for exiting), when "team orders" meant a lunch delivery, and when teammate 'wars' were actually deep-seated and bitter personal vendettas...Prost and Senna, Prost and Mansell, Prost and well, anyone really. Mansell-Shumacher "the early years" and Shumacher-Hill had vendetta potential but the dirty tricks (and thus, excitement) petered out when both Brits retired from F1 signalling the final death knell for my interest in what had become of the 'sport'. Now, drivers come and go, and despite the media-led 'battle' between these guys, it's much more about constructors and corporate sponsors these days.

I think it's no coincidence that the seminal point was 1994 and San Marino. For me, a critical part of F1 died along with Senna at Tamburello. His untimely death ushered in a renewed concern for driver safety, which ultimately (and unfortunately) brought with it a greater emphasis on technical advances in F1 car design at the expense of those individual driver skills and with them, true competition.

*deep sigh*

alonso claimed that canada was "a lottery" and that hamilton just got "lucky". did he forget that at the last race at monte carlo hamilton was ordered NOT to chase him down and given a pit strategy designed to prevent that? handing alonso the win?

and the "well alonso is adapting to a new team, so..."

unless i'm mistaken hamilton HAS NEVER RACED AN F1 CAR before this season?

no need for him to need to adapt i suppose ;)

Canada was in fact a lotery

what if the safety car was out a lap earlier while Hamilton was pit in the result would have been different

As for the monaco Yes Hamilton and Alonso were ordered to rev down their engines and take it easy

Hamilton did not listen and kept pushing

As for adapting to a new team remember that Hamilton is with Mclaren sinse he was 11 years old

I was not talking about adapting to an F1 car but to a new team

Anyway the key is the Briggestone tyres and that is the main reason why Hamilton and Massa are quicker of their teammates

wait till the second half of the season and we will see

Again I am saying that Hamilton is a top driver and soon he ll be world champion but I think Alonso is better

Zzzzzz.........hrmmpph? What, you guys still talking about current F1 stuff? Sorry must have dozed off there :yawn: thought this was a Tag Heuer subforum ;)

Seriously though I wonder if anyone can convince me otherwise as I just don't get it. I feel F1 stopped being a sport when the technical aspect took over from competitive and unassisted driving skills. Also the dearth of any genuine characters amongst the drivers - I'm not old enough to remember the likes of Fangio and Moss, but Hunt, Fittipaldi, Piquet, Prost, Mansell, and the incomparable Senna all seemed to be a breed apart combining genius with aggressiveness...unlike the dull automatons that inhabit the cockpits these days, pushing buttons when told to via headset comms. The only modern-era character - an anomaly and the last of the kind - was Eddie Irvine - top bloke - who celebrated his first F1 GP by deliberately cutting up Senna, receiving a post-race punch in the face for his troubles, which Irvine graciously accepted he probably deserved :D

Characters aside, I actually remember when positions changed every lap at one or two corners, when scientists tried to work out what other drivers couldn't - just how Senna was so fast (turns out he braked and changed down gears much later into corners and used his small feet to 'heel-toe' keeping the revs up for exiting), when "team orders" meant a lunch delivery, and when teammate 'wars' were actually deep-seated and bitter personal vendettas...Prost and Senna, Prost and Mansell, Prost and well, anyone really. Mansell-Shumacher "the early years" and Shumacher-Hill had vendetta potential but the dirty tricks (and thus, excitement) petered out when both Brits retired from F1 signalling the final death knell for my interest in what had become of the 'sport'. Now, drivers come and go, and despite the media-led 'battle' between these guys, it's much more about constructors and corporate sponsors these days.

I think it's no coincidence that the seminal point was 1994 and San Marino. For me, a critical part of F1 died along with Senna at Tamburello. His untimely death ushered in a renewed concern for driver safety, which ultimately (and unfortunately) brought with it a greater emphasis on technical advances in F1 car design at the expense of those individual driver skills and with them, true competition.

*deep sigh*

speaking of characters, I think you're right. DC seems to be the only character in the current field. Irvine was the last one before DC.

Canada was in fact a lotery

what if the safety car was out a lap earlier while Hamilton was pit in the result would have been different

As for the monaco Yes Hamilton and Alonso were ordered to rev down their engines and take it easy

Hamilton did not listen and kept pushing

As for adapting to a new team remember that Hamilton is with Mclaren sinse he was 11 years old

I was not talking about adapting to an F1 car but to a new team

Anyway the key is the Briggestone tyres and that is the main reason why Hamilton and Massa are quicker of their teammates

wait till the second half of the season and we will see

Again I am saying that Hamilton is a top driver and soon he ll be world champion but I think Alonso is better

nothing but more alonso excuses :rolleyes:

your post is the only place i have read any claim that both mclarens were ordered to "rev down" or that hamilton failed to follow team orders. that not what dennis said?

yes the race would have been possibly different if the safety car had come out while hamilton was in the pits (the only chance for alonso to pass him?? :whistling: ). it would have also been different if alonso had not kept mistaking his car for a riding lawn mower. or if a meteor had struck hamilton's car, and the other six cars ahead of alonso. those things did not happen. the safety car came out 4 times cutting hamilton's lead, 4 times he stretched it out again.

even today at indy alonso is quoted as being "happy that i have been fastest all weekend". except he does not have the pole position :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

alonso should be better. better then a rookie anyway. he is a double world champion. and a whiner. true champions don't whine when they are beaten. rossi does not, he says "very good race and i will try harder next time". then rossi does, alonso just cries and complains and makes excuses.

rossi does not, he says "very good race and i will try harder next time". then rossi does, alonso just cries and complains and makes excuses.

That depends who beats him. I can't remember him ever being graceful when beaten by Max Biaggi, for instance. Their rivalry extended to Max trying to kill or maim Rossi by elbowing him off the track. Great racing. :D

That depends who beats him. I can't remember him ever being graceful when beaten by Max Biaggi, for instance. Their rivalry extended to Max trying to kill or maim Rossi by elbowing him off the track. Great racing. :D

Excellent :tu: now that's EXACTLY what I was talking about Pugs. MotoGP sounds much more 'fun' :whistling:

IMO Alonso is a true gent, the model professional sportsman, great attitude, a born winner with a cool head, possessed with sublime vision and preternatural passing skills.....sure, he's been a little off the pace this season, unlike last year, but I truly believe we will soon again see the rise of the imperious and incomparable Alonso......

.......Xabi, that is ;):lol:

Hamilton wins at Indy and makes Alonso look silly while doing it. McLaren's #2 guy comes in 1st for the second straight week and Alonso Im sure can not be happy at all that he is second fiddle to him again. His demeanor on the podium is that he would rather be anywhere but where he was at that time.

I can see this turning into a great story as the season rolls on.

I am actually starting to suspect some fowl play with McLaren's strategy at Indy. All data showed that Alonso was fuelled more heavily at the start (based on his drop-off in performance between qualifying sessions) and should have been able to go longer in the race before refuelling, but 'safety car paranoia' led to him being called in only 1 lap after Lewis and losing this advantage. They actually short fuelled Alonso after the first stop (presumably they'd settled on their driver order at that point and did this to avoid a 1-2 becoming a 1-3) and switched his strategy, which is why he was further frustrated at then being behind his team mate.

Alsono is not happy with his team as they seem to be making the decisions that are affecting the outcome of races. The cars and drivers are so evenly matched that they can make practically no difference to the outcome.

I am actually starting to suspect some fowl play with McLaren's strategy at Indy. All data showed that Alonso was fuelled more heavily at the start (based on his drop-off in performance between qualifying sessions) and should have been able to go longer in the race before refuelling, but 'safety car paranoia' led to him being called in only 1 lap after Lewis and losing this advantage. They actually short fuelled Alonso after the first stop (presumably they'd settled on their driver order at that point and did this to avoid a 1-2 becoming a 1-3) and switched his strategy, which is why he was further frustrated at then being behind his team mate.

Alsono is not happy with his team as they seem to be making the decisions that are affecting the outcome of races. The cars and drivers are so evenly matched that they can make practically no difference to the outcome.

Corruption and malevolent shenanigans by an F1 team intent on rigging the outcome for their own benefit, you say? Surely not......can it really be true????? :rolleyes:

I suppose though it's no different to my preferred sport as last night's result at the Bernabeu showed (sorry r11co! :bleh: )