When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this the first-ever "Super Rep"?

By-Tor

Actually TAG Link Chrono was among first reps that was extremely accurate. But the price back then wasn't any higher than the standard 7750-based reps. It's still just as accurate as the new "Super Reps", by any standards.

And yes, it's very difficult watch to get a good pic from.

Actually TAG Link Chrono was among first reps that was extremely accurate. But the price back then wasn't any higher than the standard 7750-based reps. It's still just as accurate as the new "Super Reps", by any standards.

I'm curious what the price was "back then" if you don't mind?

I bought one a few weeks ago and it's still $250 (plus shipping in lots of cases) from most dealers.

Got it from Ruby for $239 shipped including her usual +$10 for using PP.

This watch is interesting. I was originally quite interested in the black dial because I didn't like the look of the blue one on the website. To be honest, although your pics and review are great By-Tor, the blue doesn't look so hot in them either (probably cause, like you said, not so easy to photograph). Went to an AD to check it and the UPO out to see which I liked more and wanted to buy and was trying on the black one when I decided to give the blue a second look. Glad I did cause it's gorgeous. :thumbs:

@Jumbie: I think the watch has always been around $250.

All photographers try to avoid reflections and get the lighting optimal. But this watch has "electric effect" on the dial. You can't capture it properly if you don't compromise the picture a bit. i.e accept some noise, reflections of make the pic "overly lit". I'm always aiming for the clean shots. I think I managed to capture the color quite well with this shot. Like I said, it's very tricky watch to photograph... maybe the most difficult I've ever encountered. But that makes it just fun and challenging.

Check Neil's shots of the grey one. Those are great.

Edited by By-Tor

@Jumbie: I think the watch has always been around $250.

All photographers try to avoid reflections and get the lighting optimal. But this watch has "electric effect" on the dial. You can't capture it properly if you don't compromise the picture a bit. i.e accept some noise, reflections of make the pic "overly lit". I'm always aiming for the clean shots.

Check Neil's shots of the grey one. Those are great.

Thanks. Was just curious if it came down in price at all since last year. Guess not.

Yeah, I'm not blaming you for taking "bad photos" at all. I think your shots are quite good and I understand that it's just hard to capture the true beauty of the dial. It looks quite horrible on Tag's website. Like really bad. I had to see it in person to make the decision and then it was no contest with the black or white for me.

It's a pity that it's so difficult to photograph because then people reading your review don't really know what it's like. If I didn't read that it was the same as the gen, I might not have bothered to "risk" ordering the blue replica without seeing it in person because the photos and the reality are quite different. I'd probably have played it safe and gone with the black dial.

The Tag Link was one of the first. How about the IWC GST Ti, and the Breitling Seawolf and Avengers, they were also extremely accurate.

For me, the watch that started off all of the hype and mention of 'super reps' was the SS Big Bang

The original "super rep" must surely be the closed factory Omega 007 rep with the 2892 copy movement. The case and bracelet manufacturing on these was sensational even by todays standards and it was one of the first reps to do a decent job of detailing the movement to match the one in the real thing.

The original "super rep" must surely be the closed factory Omega 007 rep with the 2892 copy movement. The case and bracelet manufacturing on these was sensational even by todays standards and it was one of the first reps to do a decent job of detailing the movement to match the one in the real thing.

Agree.. this was definately the first super rep ;)

Yes......the original 007's were the first. Perfect!!

I love those photo's Bytor. I have the Senna version and think it is a little darker blue. Also, NO AR so it gets a lot of reflection that makes the dial hard to see in certain light conditions. But, aside from that...........really great.

262800-5079.jpg

Yeah. That was my original point: I'm sure the SMP Chrono, TAG Link Chrono and 45mm PO are just as "super" as the new "Super reps" that cost significantly more. I doubt the production costs of those new reps are that much higher, either. I could be wrong though.

I'm willing to pay extra for stuff like the AR and extra visual accuracy... but NOT for the bogus QC claims, ridiculous 600m "guaranteed" water resistance claims, etc. Steelfish is awesome rep without a doubt... but my bracelet screws had to be screwed in and glued properly before the watch was even usable. "Great" QC... good luck to your first deepsea dive. :lol:

$250 to $300 is a LOT of money for a knockoff counterfeit watch... no matter how well they're done. $500 to $700 is just insane. $250 to $300 is as "super" as I'm willing to go. :)

I'm not saying these aren't visually awesome and relatively well made, but they're reps... and should always be treated like reps. I have no problem of doing the standard procedures, like having my own QC checks, waterproofing and polishing (when I receive the watch), but the factories and certain dealers shouldn't claim things that aren't true. Or most importantly, members shouldn't pay those huge prices.

Honestly, is the new Cousteau SO much better than say, the new and improved Breitling Navitimers that got released year ago?

Honestly, is the new Cousteau SO much better than say, the new and improved Breitling Navitimers that got released year ago?

In theory, yes. In practice, there's a backlog created by crappy QC. I've been waiting for weeks now for my dealer to get decent ones back in stock.

The new and improved Navitimers have an unusable offset slide-rule and no AR. Lovely reps that they are, and I have one, they're not as close as the so-called Super Reps.

Yeah. That was my original point: I'm sure the SMP Chrono, TAG Link Chrono and 45mm PO are just as "super" as the new "Super reps" that cost significantly more. I doubt the production costs of those new reps are that much higher, either. I could be wrong though.

I'm willing to pay extra for stuff like the AR and extra visual accuracy... but NOT for the bogus QC claims, ridiculous 600m "guaranteed" water resistance claims, etc. Steelfish is awesome rep without a doubt... but my bracelet screws had to be screwed in and glued properly before the watch was even usable. "Great" QC... good luck to your first deepsea dive. :lol:

$250 to $300 is a LOT of money for a knockoff counterfeit watch... no matter how well they're done. $500 to $700 is just insane. $250 to $300 is as "super" as I'm willing to go. :)

I'm not saying these aren't visually awesome and relatively well made, but they're reps... and should always be treated like reps.

I couldn't agree more with everything you've said.

I also think that they don't cost much more to produce. They just have a greater attention to detail.

Hmm... "Super Reps" always existed... It's just that certain dealers hyped the term up, eh? :whistling:

Never a more true word spoken.

Incidentally, I was trawling through my email archive and I found this from way back when I was just getting into reps...

From: xxxxx [xxxxx@yahoo.com.tw]Sent: 28 December 2004 14:32

To: (me)

Subject: Re: Omega Seamaster 007 - The Replica Collector

Hi

it's $479 for that 007 with Genuine Box set

paypal

Free shipping

^___^

It is a reply to my enquiry made to one of our 'respected' dealers.

Anyone want to guess which?! :D