When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The life of a fisherman in the North Sea

Everythingape

Wow it reminds me of when I was a little kid in the bath with my plastic tug boat, no matter how many waves you made or how many times you pushed it under it just kept popping back up.

At least I hope thats the case for you too Ape. :o

Ken

Thanks for your comments, you're making me feel all special ^_^

My boat is a bit larger than the boat in the clip, and taller above the waterline. It's no picnic going through what those guys are experiencing there, and I heard the whole crew was standing on the bridge looking worried, but as long as all hatches are closed and secure you're going to bob back up. (At least that's what they tell us)

That boat had 1700 tons of blue whiting on board, making it too heavy to ride the waves like it would have if it was lighter, that combined with the tidal races and wind in the Pentland makes for a wet passing. The older guys on my boat tell stories of boats going under, green water all they could see in the bridge windows, an eerie silence as the boat floated back to the surface, some coming through with seaweed on the roof of the bridge, and every other window smashed, boarded up as best they could.

We have dirty weather ahead too, with 40 knot stable winds blowing on the fishing grounds.

Like I said earlier in the thread, it's just a job after a while. You are aware of the dangers, but you'd go crazy if you focused on them all the time.

• 2 months later...
man if i where in that boat/ship in that type of sea , i will poop in my pants like a 3 yearold kid :lol: ..

p.s. then vh JUMP will be my friend !! do you have anything on the tube ? you playing keys .

Haha! My keyboard skills are limited to the guitar parts of Metallica songs ;) ..also some religious childrens songs I learned as a child.

Impressed by your job, Ape! You guys from Northern Norway are something special. :)

I have done my time working on the Oil rigs, that is wet enough for a "Soring" like me! :lol:

Thanks chrgod :)

I'm not from the north though.. Nordfjord, Sogn & Fj, born and raised. ;)

Thanks chrgod :)

I'm not from the north though.. Nordfjord, Sogn & Fj, born and raised. ;)

Wow, small world... do you know the Meyer or the Kobek family farm at Sognefjord?

I guess the picture in the signature fits the user quite well.. :cool2:

A question though: when you have 10.000 tons of fish in the net :fishing: .. what's the next step? I mean, do you pull it out of the water with a crane and put it in the boat or do you just tow the net to the port? I can hardly imagine that it is possible to pull 10k tons into the boat.. :boat:

Wow, small world... do you know the Meyer or the Kobek family farm at Sognefjord?

I've heard of them.. ..from you ;) (We have discussed this matter before, you and I)

..I do not know them, but I can imagine how beautiful a fjordside farm must be around those parts. I worked a summer on a passenger catamaran going from Fl