When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Two franken datejusts

Hi all,

Here are two franken rolies I put together following the great advice here.

266043-4491.jpg

The date watch is a 1500 circa 1973. I uses a date wheel from, of all places, a super cheap modern submariner I bought years ago from watchsolution. Open 6/9 etc. Movement is held firmly by just the standard case clamps. Took the liberty of using rep 6694 hands since I'm so fond of them. Aftermarket glass from clark.

266043-4492.jpg

The datejust is a 16200 circa 1991. It's for sure a gen case, but came with a tube for the 5.3mm crown. It was obviously drilled for this, since the threads in the case are too small for the 6mm. I didn't know this was possible, but apparently...

Thanks for all the great guidance in the topics here.

Steve.

Hi Steve! They look great! Nice job.

The case tubes on the 162XX series cases and 152XX series cases are the same. You probably had an older style 160XX 6mm crown. These are thicker and do not fit in the newer style case tubes.

I have a 16220, 16200, 15200 case, and I can fit either 5.3 or 6mm crowns in the tubes.

Did you change out the tube already? The correct crown for your 16200 is 24-603-0.

btw... I really like the dial on your 16200.

Edited by stilty

Wow, I am impressed! I can't believe you found the right crown. I have ordered three, none of which have worked. Two were # 24-603-0. I am beginning to think my tube has been switched out or ebay sellers mis-represent the items they list. Hopefully I will get lucky soon.

Yes, eBay sellers do mis-represent the items they list. One seller in particular. I bought a crown a few years ago, and it took three tries before I got the right one. I bought one a few months ago from the same seller. Same problem. I sent a very specific email to ensure I was sent the correct crown as listed. I'm sure we are talking about the same seller. He shows the crown in a picture next to the 24-603-0 package, but you get the older style crown. My last transaction took three tries before I got the correct crown. Now I just buy them new in a sealed package. I figure once you factor in the time and effort to get the crown, as well as paying return shipping two times, just spend the extra cash and buy new in package.

I find you have to be persistant with the seller to get the correct crown.