When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What kind of crystal is this?

Leifhaus

Early Datejusts, the 1601, 16013, 16014, for instance, all had the plastic crystal. Later models, 16200 and on have the sapphire crystal. Freddy, your example from Andrew has the sapphire crystal, it just sits up nicely, like the gen sapphires. The only way you're going to get a Datejust or Date with the plastic crystal is to build a Frankenjust. I have two that I built with cases from roling on ebay (16013 and 16014), gen dials, date overlays, 2836 movements, movement spacers and gen crown and tubes- around $500 by the time you get finished.

Also, Silix has a vintage 6694, Oysterdate w/ the 2836 and plastic crystal, but the date mag is weak.

I do consider the 1601 Datejusts as great entry models, if you're looking at the gens- it's one of the most reasonably priced along with the 1500 Date and the manual wind 6694- all classic Rolex.

Alligoat -- You are right about the crystal being sapphire. I was just referring to that watch from Andrew being the 'old style' Datejust (old dial & clasp). You are also right about having to build a franken if you want the acrylic crystal, etc. I had considered doing that as well, but with the cost of used gen datejusts starting around $600-$700, I just could not justify the cost of a franken.

Yep, southcoast68, I'd have to agree with you on the cases from roling, they are absolutely beautiful. At least the two he sent me were and they make beautiful watches- they really look great for a 20 year old watch.

@ tassilo, that Oysterdate from Trevor looks nice, especially with the gold markers on the white dial. I can't tell if the date mag is right or a little weak. It's similar to the one that Silix has, but his has the silver markers and a 2836.

http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1294