When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 212 1950 Flyback Sapphire A/R Crystal Project

JWR

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about scratch resistance. Sapphire crystal shouldnt scratch while mineral with. I'm not sure of the relative strengths to breakages though it would follow that sapphire is tougher.

I read that sapphire high hardness (2nd only to diamond) applies to its surface hardness, i.e. its resistance to get scratched. But that, as for hardness against breaking, mineral glass is thougher.

(Yes, I know I am replying to old posts, but this info could always come useful :D).

• 2 weeks later...
Just for information - if a dealer describes it as synthetic sapphire that means mineral!!! If described as just sapphire that means sapphire!!

Hmmm... it is just not possible to make a watch glass out of genuine sapphire. If a genuine sapphire that big existed, it would be in the Tower of London, sitting alongside the Koh-i-Nor diamond.

So quality watches... and quality reps... have crystals made from synthetic sapphire.

I have seen this stuff in its raw state... a cylinder of synthetic sapphire, maybe six or eight inches long, just waiting to be sawn and ground into watch crystals.

It is not so hard to distinguish between synthetic sapphire and mineral glass - if a dealer advertises his product as having a synthetic sapphire crystal and it turns out to be mineral, make a fuss.

• 4 weeks later...
bump

Any update on this project ? Joshua is send me a replacement crystal for my Swiss 212 which shattered the other day after a very minimal impact (thanks Joshua!)

I'm very interested in getting an AR coated sapphire crystal for this nice watch. I would also love to get one of the new rotors...

Any word on the saphire AR crystals? I am so ready for one of these! Thanks Jon! :whistling:

Edited by promotersf

Guys,

I have not given up all hope on this! I crushed by accident my crystal as it was to be sent off to be duplicated..

I think I could get the project going again if I were to get my hands on another broken crystal... IF any of you guys would be willing to part with it so I can send it to the company for duplication, I'd really appreciate it... PM me if you've got one?

Jonathan

• 1 month later...

I've seen some dealers are now selling this rep with a domed sapphire crystal. I don't know if it's AR-coated (I doubt it). They also have the correctly coloured hands now - black coloured hands for the minutes, hours, seconds (subdial), and minutes recorder (chrono subdial). The chrono seconds hand (big seconds hand) is still silver as it should be.

The back crystal may ot may not be sapphire, the information around the caseback is not all there, and the font of Officine Panerai on the movement does not look right. There are also no blue screws, and the dial still has the tick - marks on the outer edge and not going inwards (like the manual wind version). Also, the chrono pushers are brushed and not polished, though I would imagine that is the least of the flaws.

Still a nice watch though!

The domed sapphire crystal is available on both the Asian 7750 and the ETA 7750 versions that I've seen.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Finepics, I know many of us would go for this upgrade. I emailed davidsen and he advised he may have somthing in the FUTURE, but that's no definite.

:victory:

• 2 weeks later...