When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 212 1950 Flyback Sapphire A/R Crystal Project

JWR

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From an email recieved this morning:

Hi Jonathan -

Just wanted to let you know that I heard from our engineers this morning that they are actively working on the quote. I will be in touch as soon as I have more information. It looks like pricing will not be available until at least tomorrow.

Regards,

So, looks like 1:1 price quote will be coming very soon!

outstanding...my EL 212 swiss will be here this week. you guys kick ass, thanks finepics for always striving for us fellow hobbyists. :victory:

it's been awhile since i got excited about a watch, and now i am definitely excited. hope that datewheel for the 063 comes in too! :whistling:

I'm in!! I just ordered one of the new Swiss 212s from EL (with the engraved rotor).

Can anyone tell me if this is difficult to install? I have not clue about this.

I am a definite, if this newest version of the 212 is indeed mineral.

Thanks!

GENTLEMEN!

we have a final price quotation for the 1:1 crystals in sapphire with A/R coating.

The crystals will not cost more than $65 each plus shipping from me to you, and will be 1:1 with the current crystals. $65 is the price with the setup charges amortized over only 20 crystals, yet more than 20 have expressed interest- thus, the more concrete commitments that I recieve, the lower the price will go.

There is a 7-9 week lead time on these crystals from the factory. Additionally, the factory requires a 50% deposit at the outset of the order, with the remainder due at completion.

If you are still interested, please email me at the address in my profile!

Hopefully I can have a final tally by the middle of next week and go about beginning payment and ordering instructions.

Edited by Jonathan

i'll send my pp as soon as you need it...Mr Postman just dropped off my 212 Swiss from eddie, now i'm taking off the crappy rep strap and replacing it with a dirk that's been waiting for his new friend...so I'd love to get the crystal job going. :whistling:

thanks for everyone that put this together...you guys KICK ASS. :victory:

Just for information - if a dealer describes it as synthetic sapphire that means mineral!!! If described as just sapphire that means sapphire!!

That doesn't make any sense. Synthetic sapphire means lab-made, not fake. All sapphire watch crystals are synthetic and thus only an uninformed or dishonest watch seller would make a distinction between "synthetic" and "not synthetic" sapphire crystals. Mineral glass is not synthetic sapphire any more than it is steel or water.

While people with less than good English skills might make this mistake, many of the dealers on this board would have no excuse. I have never seen EL, River, Joshua etc. use something other than "mineral" to describe a mineral crystal, and I am curious as to who these dealers are that you say misleadingly use the term "synthetic sapphire" for mineral, because your post suggests that it is a common practice on this board for dealers to mislead people by misusing the term "synthetic sapphire." I'm not sure that is the case.

Edited by kanerich

That doesn't make any sense. Synthetic sapphire means lab-made, not fake. All sapphire watch crystals are synthetic and thus only an uninformed or dishonest watch seller would make a distinction between "synthetic" and "not synthetic" sapphire crystals. Mineral glass is not synthetic sapphire any more than it is steel or water.

While people with less than good English skills might make this mistake, many of the dealers on this board would have no excuse. I have never seen EL, River, Joshua etc. use something other than "mineral" to describe a mineral crystal, and I am curious as to who these dealers are that you say misleadingly use the term "synthetic sapphire" for mineral, because your post suggests that it is a common practice on this board for dealers to mislead people by misusing the term "synthetic sapphire." I'm not sure that is the case.

I am not suggesting that every dealer describes it like this to be dishonest or misleading but in the cases where they are described as such (you only need to look at Silix or Perfect clones websites rather than some listings here) to see what I mean. There are some that clearly say Synthetic sapphire that I know for a fact are mineral glass.

Well, bad news, Finepics informs me that the specs on their proposal are not 100% correct.

Will be changing the specs and keeping y'all updated. Sorry!!!

Is it possible you or finepics, or a dealer, could send the mineral glass crystal to them? Assuming the mineral glass crystal is the correct shape and thickness, could they use that to make the sapphire crystals?

Look here, this is described as synthetic sapphire, and we are told here that it is in fact mineral glass:

http://perfect-clones.com/product_info.php...products_id=992

You're not telling the whole story. The Panerais on PC that do use synthetic sapphire crystals ALSO are described as synthetic sapphire crystals. Unless you are suggesting that every Pam Josh sells in fact uses mineral glass, I think this indicates at most laziness in posting specific descriptions, not an example of the supposed broad dealer conspiracy to call mineral glass "synthetic sapphire" and synthetic sapphire "sapphire" as was originally asserted. Aspire also is the bad habit of putting the same description for every type of watch (Rolex, pams, etc.). Even honest dealers make errors, but that's very different from what was originally asserted, which is "synthetic sapphire" is a broadly used code word for mineral glass. Most of the time, it means what it means.

I appreciate finepics saying it's something to watch out for, but IMO all that you can really conclude is that on some occasions when a dealer says a watch has synthetic sapphire, he is either genuinely mistaken or lying and the watch has a mineral glass crystal. That is a problem, but a different one from what was originally asserted. In any case I realize this is not germane to the central discussion so this will be my last comment on this point.

• 2 weeks later...
Guys,

I have updated quote with the proper double-domed specification. I am running it by Mark and then will post it here.

So what's the verdict here? Can we get a price of this crystal with AR coat?

Sorry guys, have been really busy... the last specification was not 'round' enough -- i can't understand why they are having such trouble copying a crystal that i physically sent to them... i will keep everyone posted as i'm looking for another supplier...