When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 212 1950 Flyback Sapphire A/R Crystal Project

JWR

Finepics and I have been laying the groundwork for a run of sapphire, anti-reflective coated 1950 flyback crystals, as we have discovered (to our chagrin) that most of the flyback models are being produced with mineral crystals... (even, in some cases, if advertised as sapphire!)

The crystals would be 1:1 to the current crystal, would fit both manual and automatic versions of the watch, and would be A/R coatedfrom the factory.

In order to go ahead with production, though, we need to know if there is enough interest -- the factory dictates a minimum production run of 20, and, well, neither Mark nor I need 20 extra crystals laying around collecting dust.

Exact cost for the crystals is still pending from the factory, but should be well under $100.

If you have interest in purchasing one of these crystals, please respond to this thread or contact me.

Response of interest now does not indicate any obligation to buy once the pricing information becomes available.

NOTE: THESE CRYSTALS ARE FOR THE PAM 212 1950 FLYBACK CHRONO. NOT THE PAM 127 1950.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Edited by Jonathan

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add a little something here - all 3 variants of the 212 only have mineral glass crystals. Fine until you break one as I did for one of our members!! Luckily I was able to source a spare but they are rarer than rocking horse [censored] so this is a got to have accessory especially for those that spent the big money on the Swiss movt version - as I did!!

Just to add a little something here - all 3 variants of the 212 only have mineral glass crystals. Fine until you break one as I did for one of our members!!

i thought mineral glas doesnt brake and sapphire is the glas that brakes easily?

Yeap.. if the price is right I'm in too.. THis is a reason to upgrate to a Swiss 212 because since DAY 1 I was telling Finepics ALL the 1950 flybacks have mineral glass (as I was told by Angel & Jay and research) BUT he learned the hard way :D

Mark knows I'm in :whistling: ... put me down for one crystal AR coated. :yu:

@Veni12 - Yeap.. if the price is right I'm in too.. THis is a reason to upgrate to a Swiss 212 because since DAY 1 I was telling Finepics ALL the 1950 flybacks have mineral glass (as I was told by Angel & Jay and research) BUT he learned the hard way biggrin.gif

Tell you what it didnt half go with a bang!!! Dave I have the new one here, just waiting for Davidsen to send the right hands (he sent silver ones!!) - sorry!!!

One more thing - full marks to Jonathan who first suggested this to me a couple of weeks ago and has done all the usual running around phoning and emailing etc. Taking on the experimental/genius modding mantle is spreading it seems - well done J.

Who has the best PAM's - WE DO!!!!!!!

I'm thinking about it (depends on price), but wondering whether I should get the Asian 7750 version or the Swiss ETA 7750 version.

Finepics, you got me onto this watch, any advice? Is it possible to replace the plastic retaining ring on the ETA 7750 with a metal one?

As you can tell, I havent got one yet. I was leaning towards the Asian 7750 one at the moment due to the engraved rotor if nothing else.

I'll be placing an order with silix so any advice is welcome.

i thought mineral glas doesnt brake and sapphire is the glas that brakes easily?

It's about scratch resistance. Sapphire crystal shouldnt scratch while mineral with. I'm not sure of the relative strengths to breakages though it would follow that sapphire is tougher.

By the way, is the display back also mineral crystal, and does this include both front and back?

It's about scratch resistance. Sapphire crystal shouldnt scratch while mineral with. I'm not sure of the relative strengths to breakages though it would follow that sapphire is tougher.

By the way, is the display back also mineral crystal, and does this include both front and back?

i believe that the back is mineral; it's not part of this project though... don't see the need as this is basically to counter the scratching that seems all too common on the big domed front... not much scratching on your wrist!

Chronus, it might be of interest to you, the manual version comes with a machined, very nicely finished retaining ring...

My franken-flyback, when finished, will have the correct CG and caseback from the automatic, this crystal, and the movement and (most correct) face and hands of the manual version... :)

Edited by Jonathan

Ah yes, but mine has Swiss 7750, correct (almost dial) and the rotor from the asian version!!!

Sapphire is infinitely stonger than mineral - Mineral is actually just plain glass - same stuff you have in your windows!!!

Could you help me do the same job on one too if I got the ETA version?

Hi Jonathan,

I am interested, in the context that if I work out a deal to acquire one. But if I am able to get one, then certainly yes, I'd be interested. Thank you.

Excellent work, guys. The crystal (along with the dial) is the main thing holding me back from the 212. I'm definitely in so when they fix the dial, I'll have the crystal.

Finepics, david's hands look like an improvement over the current hands to me--less lumed area--do you agree?

Finepics, david's hands look like an improvement over the current hands to me--less lumed area--do you agree?

Yes Davidsens 188 handset is perfect and if he will supply you with 2 x 6o'clock subdial hands, which are the smaller ones, instead of the 2 larger 3 and 9 hands - they are absolutely perfect for the sub hands of the 212. Maybe he will sell this as a package ready to fit (I might suggest this to him). He is also working on hands for the Power reserve models and I think he might be persuaded to do the GMT hands in which case we can correct the minute hand length problem - another fault corrected!!! The advantga of these to the lumers among us is that they come ready lumed and scratch free. The plated hands are difficult to do becasue of scratching them.