When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 212 1950 Flyback Sapphire A/R Crystal Project

JWR

Looking good. I am waiting on silix to see what they can get me on this one. They may be able to get a sapphire display back, but with the standard plexiglass front crystal which I can replace with this one :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some news from my call this morning:

1) Exact production pricing will be available to me by the end of this week.

2) Once production is confirmed as happening, there is a four to six week lead time for sapphire crystals.

3) It is possible that A/R coating was not included in my initial cost projections; may raise per-crystal price as much as $20.

4) 50% deposit is due upon beginning of production to the company -- not out of the ordinary, but coupled with the long lead time, I want to get this out in the open as a fact.

This is obviously a mixed bag of news; it seems like a) a very long time for production and B) that this company is outsourcing the production.

I am proceeding with requesting pricing from this supplier, but am also going to attempt to find another manufacturer to recieve a quote from; perhaps to lower both prices and production time.

Will keep all of you posted. (Mark, PM me!)

Jonathan

Thanks for trying Jonathan. Whilst I'd love an AR sapphire for my 212, like you I'm not convinced that this lead time (outsourced definitely which means significant markup at your suppliers end) and cost represents a fantastic deal. Look forward to you getting another quote.

Edited by docblackrock

Thanks for trying Jonathan. Whilst I'd love an AR sapphire for my 212, like you I'm not convinced that this lead time (outsourced definitely which means significant markup at your suppliers end) and cost represents a fantastic deal. Look forward to you getting another quote.

That price is actually pretty good compared to the quotes I got on sapphire lenses from US companies. I think I know what company Johnathan and Mark are using (the outsourcing bit gave it away) and they seemed up and up to me when I was working on the sapphire cyclops project.

He may be able to get a price that's 10% lower, but I doubt it since that company outsources it's projects to China keeping prices low, but in any case the lead time won't change.

Everyone:

Have been pursuing some other options. Haven't heard back from the original company yet... (archibald you have a PM)

Would people be willing to purchase a very-close-to-the-same dimensions as the current crystal (somewhat different though, not necessarily 1:1 with the current crystals) for less money? This option is available to me, and would be very easy to do...

Let me know.

Would people be willing to purchase a very-close-to-the-same dimensions as the current crystal (somewhat different though, not necessarily 1:1 with the current crystals) for less money? This option is available to me, and would be very easy to do...

Let me know.

What you mean a very close to the same dimensions?

I guess the thing that it will be different is the height of the dome on the crystal....

I think it is not that much... for how much less money are we talking?

The price would be max $70, closer to 60 probably.

The dome would be .8mm lower than on the current crystal. (4.6mm vs 5.4mm thickness at center)

the profile would be otherwise identical, just with a slightly flatter curvature to the dome.

It would be sapphire, A/R coated, etc.

Edited by Jonathan

Almost one month to the day of getting my new PAM 127 I was sitting watching TV and the glass dome popped and the so-called sapphire dome was in pieces everywhere. Is this common?

So I need a dome to my PAM 127. If you can supply one then I'm in. Another question would be how do I replace it? I'd like to do it myself as many watch repairers in London won't touch a replica.

Please can anyone help. Thanks

Almost one month to the day of getting my new PAM 127 I was sitting watching TV and the glass dome popped and the so-called sapphire dome was in pieces everywhere. Is this common?

So I need a dome to my PAM 127. If you can supply one then I'm in. Another question would be how do I replace it? I'd like to do it myself as many watch repairers in London won't touch a replica.

AFAIR davidsen is selling those. and yes its a common problem. caused probably by a faulty case (the area where the crystal sits on is slightly uneven sometimes (due to someone not working properly with the CNC machine?) causing the crystal to shatter, so you might take it to a watchmaker and let him check on that prior instaling a brand new 80$ crystal!)

AFAIR davidsen is selling those. and yes its a common problem. caused probably by a faulty case (the area where the crystal sits on is slightly uneven sometimes (due to someone not working properly with the CNC machine?) causing the crystal to shatter, so you might take it to a watchmaker and let him check on that prior instaling a brand new 80$ crystal!)

What will a watch maker be able to tell me? What do I need to explain to him? Is is fatal or can it be repaired. At this moment in time I am devastated as I spent a decent amount on the watch (which I hope was for the movement). I also got a great strap from Italy. Can you put my mind to rest by helping anwser my qesutions. Thanks

happened to me, about a few weeks after getting a 212 7750 swiss from josh, iwas like wtf, thank god he took it back and put a new dome on it. told me it was due to pressures. from freight. i guess

only recently i learned that so socalled sapphire is actually mineral

see my post on trc