When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Lange & Sohne 1815 Up and Down

gran

33448-40002.jpg

The Lange & Sohne 1815 Up and Down

Genuine but should be higly repable :winkiss: I wish someone over in China is reading this....

The watch case measures 36 millimeters in diameter and is 7.96 millimeters thick

The 1815 UP and DOWN permanently displays its state of wind. The name of this watch is reminiscent of the date of birth of Adolph Lange, the founder of Saxony's precision watchmaking industry.

It has two subsidiary dials, one for the small seconds, and the other for the power-reserve indication - a typical feature of many historic pocket watches and high-precision marine chronometers built by Lange. "AUF" stands for wound up, and "AB" for wound down. ..up and down do you get it... :p

33448-40003.jpg

33448-40004.jpg

I hear what you're saying. They're not good 'replicas', and they don't look as good as the real thing.

On the bright side, the reps that are out there are gorgeous watches in their own right - and for a forty grand price difference I can just about bring myself to forgive the differences :p

I started out looking for genuine watches at the high-end jewellers (not uber-end), you know the sort of range (Omega, Rolex & co), and wasn't really taken with anything. I don't really like 'flash' and prefer leather straps. There was a Longines watch I didn't mind, but you need a bit more enthusiasm to spend a fair bit of money like that.

Then I saw my first photo of a Lange (online).... :throb:

Couldn't afford a real one, obviously, but I'm utterly chuffed to bits with my rep. My point is, I think my rep is better looking than all the gens I saw when I was out shopping. So from that perspective I win.

Sadly, I don't see the Lange reps getting better any time soon. Because the movements aren't available like with other brands, they will never pass close inspection. And because of this there is no demand for them at the high-end of the rep market, and without the demand I don't think you get the effort being made to improve them in other areas, if you know what I mean.

But bottom line - beautiful watches. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ah, thanks for the kind words.

Actually, here's a question for all the folk that are into Lange's. I was looking at Gunnar's link last night and eventually gravitated to the Lange website, and realised that there are no official outlets (meaning nowhere you can buy a gen Lange with a warranty I think) in Australia, New Zealand or Japan. But there is an official outlet in Kazakhstan.

What is that all about? I'm delighted for Kazakhstan (really), but does that not strike you all as odd?

Being a bit more cheeky, perhaps there is a gap in the market for an official dealer in these countries - for RWG & Co !! :whistling:

Hey, I've been waiting for a good Lange rep for four years and nothing has arrived that's been worth buying. The 1815 would be perfect for repping with a good ETA movement. Hell, I'll take a good case and face rep with an asian movement. Here's a few others that I wish would be repped in a quality manner:

1. Chronoswiss Flyback with green flourescent face;

2. Any Breguet model with porcelain face (instead of guilloche);

3. Chronoswiss Chronoscope.

Now that would be nice. But I think our manufactueres are busy with Omegas; Pammies and Rollies.

Beany