When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Manual winding and shaking...

Pix

271756-3469.jpg

Hi,

I have just reviewed this fantasy JL rep.

I thought it was an Asian auto movement, as it is reacting when shaking the watch. But the lack of a rotor and the fact that it has a limit while winding manually seem to be confirming a handwind movement. But then, why does it react to shaking ?

Correct, that's an alarm model.

While I was saying "reacting", I was meaning that the seconds hand was really resuming the movement. Sounds wrong, I know. But that happened. I'll leave it on the watchwinder a few time and see if it stops or not (should normally). I feel stupid saying a watch with no rotor is running while shaken... :huh:

I replied in your other thread as well...

I believe the motion of shaking the watch (manual wind and mainspring unwound) is causing the balance spring to oscillate... Thus causing a bit of movement from the seconds hand. That's about the only thing I can think of. I have a v23 manual wind movement in one of my vintage frankensteins... It exhibits the same charatceristic (along with a couple of others)....

I'm sure Ziggy can clarify what's really happening :)

I must say that i did not expect this question from you PIX....you certainly have enough crowns to screw on with that one. looks like a SEA-Gull produced movement to me (but I guess the movement design was originaly from the soviet union)

There is certainly something wrong with it if it responds to shaking...send it back to the dealer

regards

Gunnar :)

I must say that i did not expect this question from you PIX....you certainly have enough crowns to screw on with that one. looks like a SEA-Gull produced movement to me (but I guess the movement design was originaly from the soviet union)

Looks like a Cricket. :D

:lol:

As it's keeping good time, I see of course no reason to send it back, that would be a pain. My question is more driven by curiosity than by anxiety.

GG, do you mean that this JL might be a hidden Poljot clone or something like that ? :thumbsupsmileyanim:

:lol:

As it's keeping good time, I see of course no reason to send it back, that would be a pain. My question is more driven by curiosity than by anxiety.

GG, do you mean that this JL might be a hidden Poljot clone or something like that ? :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Look here at Grans list of Sea-Gull watch movements, Asian movements united and revealed

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...amp;hl=sea-gull

272064-3387.jpg

Your movement is a ST28 version

It looks like the classic A.Schild pattern used by both Poljot and Citizen (many years ago), but the bridges are different to both of those. I should take a look over Roland Ranfft's database for a closer match. Vostok calibre 2612.1. After all the mechanical alarm used to be the only affordable complication unique to Russia...

Un murmure au del

You gave the essential information indeed.

The "sans souci" thing was maybe worth noticing : a curious name for a movement, as it actually means "no worry". That sounds odd !

As for the Poljot watches and movements, I was recently surprised by how "expensive" they are. Just for fun and to add to my collection, I was thinking about buying one, and expected a chinese price level. How wrong I was...

At the moment I'm writing, the ST-28 still did not stop, whereas it's not been wound (winded ?) for more than 24 hours... Still waiting, we'll know more in an other 24 hours. I fully understood why and how the shaking (sic!) of the watch could lead to the seconds hand to move. But I do not expect what is considered as a side-effect to be a real feature. Strange movement. Let's wait.

Si finally the thing has stopped yesterday evening.

I can only conclude that it has an excellent power reserve together with an odd behavihour that helps the movement to run when shaken.

Thx for all the technical explanations. :D