When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Datewheel on Datewheel

vmena

My watchmaker always has difficulties when he replaces the rep datewheel (usually on top of the ETA one) and places another one. Then, the DW doesn't move easily and some times even manually is very hard to move it. Also, the day transition happens slowly instead of quick.

Is there any tricky thing to consider when replacing a DW by another (overlaying it)? Thanks in advance.

Indeed... Typically, if the datewheel is having difficulty in rotating, it's usually because it's rubbing against the back of the dial (i.e. not enough clearance). It's sometimes a little tricky to get everything aligned correctly... But with the right spacer ring for the dial, the problem can usually be resolved with little effort.

2 things to have your watchmaker check

1. As Avitt & Ubi mentioned, the spacing between the datewheel and the underside of the dial. If there is not sufficient space, the two will rub and restrict the date change.
  2. Make sure no adhesive on the back of the datewheel overlay has migrated onto the gears or other parts of the movement. This will gum-up the date change gears (I have had this problem, repeatedly, with the otherwise outstanding Watchmeister datewheel sticker/overlay).

I take a razor blade and scrape the paint off the old wheel then glue the new one to the bare metal on the old one.

the first time i did this i glued it right to the old wheel and had the same troubles.

after I removed the paint it worked perfect.

Thanks sir... this is the new aproach I already took... let's see. I think must be a mix between Ubi and yours solutions.

I must say, installing any datewheel overlay is a pain in the but, The overlay has aling precisely with the actual datewheeel, it takes a lot of patience and perseverance. keep trying and trying until is right. I myself has gone pass that experience with UBI's datewheel. I manage to install the datewheel on top of the original eta datewheel, used baby powder to remove the sticky on the back after installing the datewheel.

If you do not want to use a thicker dial spacer try to not to tight movement too much with the clamps. that will allow some free movement between the datewheel and the dial. I wish I have a thicker spacer but i do not have one.

Anyway here are the pictures, comments are welcome.

277232-2213.jpg

277232-2214.jpg

277232-2215.jpg