When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Big "Bang" or big "Bust"...

@The Zigmeister, Rob does this mean the same for Swiss 7750 transplants for the HBB? I was going to send the HBB to you this month for a transplant along with a couple of others. Will you still be able to do this?

:blowup:

Someone was right saying that poeple if they are still people willing to pay su much money for a rep. They still continue to use this kind of method.

But it is also right to say that the it normally cost 13000 $ for a HBB Black Magic. Ceramic cost a lot of money and especially the work that has been done on it, such polishing,....

However it is really sad to see such poor movement part used...but this is chinese standart they don't ask for 100% quality (this is not the same way to see quality in China as we do in developped country such as America or European Union,... that's why they hire a lot of european in the big standart industy) we need to a 100% free of bug but it is not a standart industry and they won't change anything for us...

But, yes, one day, perhaps we will have a version 2 with more enhancements but I'm really not sure about it...

A watch with broken hands for which you can't source parts is worthless. It doesn't really matter if the original costs $13,000 . . . if you get something worthless for $600 all you did was waste $600, you did not "save" $12,400. You may as well argue that any time I'm in the mood to buy something that costs $50 I should flush $10 down the toilet instead and save myself $40. It simply is neither here nor there.

@Ziggy, Rob does this mean the same for Swiss 7750 transplants for the HBB? I was going to send the HBB to you this month for a transplant along with a couple of others. Will you still be able to do this?

I have done two transplants with the ETA 7750, and won't be doing anymore...they changed the design of the Asian model, and none of the parts you need to swap between movements are compatible. It is also a 10+ hour modification...

You need to replace the second gear with the longer Asian one, the gear in the Asian no longer fits the ETA. The 30 minute gear also needs to be replaced, and it also is not interchangeable... so it's impossible to do the swap.

I only managed to get the two I did modified, by stripping and stealing parts from my surplus bin, and even at that, it took about 7 old Asian 21K movements to make up the two HBB's functional.

So unfortunatly I can't do this anymore...

RG

The hands were the most obvious thing I could see that were of poor quality by doing a basic visual on the watch when I received it. That, and the stickers on the rotor...obviously.

Believe it or not, if the clasp wasn't so damn uncomfortable, I'd still think that it was a decent watch if bought used. I know that flies in the face of convention. I really do believe it's 'twice as good' as normal $200 reps in appearance.

Hey Ziggy,

Thanx for the info, I have kicked the idea of getting a HBB for a bit, but I am defenitly not getting one now.

Have you had any Cousteaus's to work on yet? how is their build quality? I am thinking of getting one, would love to get some input from the master! ;)

Have one in house right now, for a transplant to an ETA engine, and relume...the question is going to be, can I relume the bezel area from 12-3...we'll have to wait and see.

I dont' expect to get to it for a while.

RG

Have one in house right now, for a transplant to an ETA engine, and relume...the question is going to be, can I relume the bezel area from 12-3...we'll have to wait and see.

I dont' expect to get to it for a while.

RG

oooh, very interested in if you can lume it! I saw Vacume saying he didnt think it could be done by hand...but if anyone can do it, I am sure you can! look forward to pics.

Thanks for the post The Zigmeister... $600 saved.

The thing that made me hold off so long (well two things really) was the obvious over pricing and B.S. of the entire "super rep" concept and the idiotic stick on letters on the rotor. When the thing was first being shown I pointed out that those letters would fall right off, gum up the movement and at the very least look cheap. I was told that I was crazy, that some super epoxy was being used and that for the money I should not complain. Now I feel vidicated... it was a bad idea and they would have been better off having no lettering instead of harmful lettering.

I have always maintaned that the best fakes are the simplist ones... they are easy to replicate, easy to service and less prone to break in the first place.

Thanks again...

• 2 weeks later...
Thx for that !

That's just making me more confident in my decision not to spend more than 300 dollars in a rep...

Ditto.

Or about 300 dollars. :D

Thanks, The Zigmeister!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind a big bust ... if it's a girl ;)

Seriously, this has put me off this. Potentially unreliable movement with no easy ETA transplant. Way too expensive a risk :(

The Zigmeister

you are very good, the collector desire to see theses post in RWG, whit great expert valutation.

I have 2 questions for you

1) rose gold HBB has identical defects of stainless ?

2) the last high price reps, as Bulgari Assioma or Chanel Ceramic are good watches, have correct value for money ?

Thanks.

I (and, I think, a grat number of members of RWG) espect your post about the quality of recent reps

The Zigmeister

you are very good, the collector desire to see theses post in RWG, whit great expert valutation.

I have 2 questions for you

1) rose gold HBB has identical defects of stainless ?

the HBB's are all cosmetic differences, the innards are one would assume, the same

the HBB's are all cosmetic differences, the innards are one would assume, the same

I agree...

I have not seen the other models, but I suspect all the parts are basically the same.

the last high price reps, as Bulgari Assioma or Chanel Ceramic are good watches, have correct value for money ?

I have not seen these in person, so I can't comment on the quality...

RG

I agree...

I have not seen the other models, but I suspect all the parts are basically the same.

I have not seen these in person, so I can't comment on the quality...

RG

The Zigmeister, I need your help.. this is how much information I've been digesting before purchasing this watch.. I actually read thru and tried to understand ALL THREE PARTS of the movement breakdown

pt1

http://www.rwg.cc/members/How-Does-It-Work...ment-t1405.html

pt2

http://www.rwg.cc/members/How-Does-It-Work...raph-t1406.html

pt3

http://www.rwg.cc/members/How-Does-It-Work...raph-t1407.html

now.. from the confusion that was my mind.. :black_eye: here's one simple question and all I need is a yes or no

The least wear and tear on the basic movement, is actually with the chronograph running.. (big seconds), right? right? :wounded1:

the reason i ask is that for pt3, your "Questions" is

Running the chronograph will:

1) wear out the second’s gear and tilting pinion

2) load down and slow down the basic movement

3) cause my watch to break sooner

which is basically all bad, BUT on pt2.. your Question was

What position(s) of the chronograph are the most likely to cause the most wear to the 12 hour wheel and clutch, and what position has the most drag or friction on the basic movement:

Your choices are:

1. Chrono in the OFF position

2. Chrono in the the ON or Running position

3. Chrono in the STOPPED position

which the answer was 1 & 2 which basically says the best is having the Chrono running..

anyhows I just need confirmation, I'm keeping my chrono running but some posters believe/think that keeping it off is best..

Ziggy, I need your help.. this is how much information I've been digesting before purchasing this watch.. I actually read thru and tried to understand ALL THREE PARTS of the movement breakdown

The least wear and tear on the basic movement, is actually with the chronograph running.. (big seconds), right? right? :wounded1:

anyhows I just need confirmation, I'm keeping my chrono running but some posters believe/think that keeping it off is best..

Well I want to say, your probably one of the few who took the time to actually read and try to understand this movement. Thanks for the feedback on the posts I did up, I am glad you found them useful.

Indeed you did read my information correctly, and the answer is YES, the least wear overall on the movement is with the chrono in the ON position, for the exact reasons you quoted.

In summary, with the Chrono OFF, everything except for the 12 hour wheel is turning (I dont' include the chrono seconds or 30 minute counter, as they have no wear when running...) so when you turn the chrono ON, you release the 12 hour wheel and the clutch is not wearing out anymore...

I leave mine ON all the time...

If you ever send a watch my way for service, I'll make sure to add an extra drop of oil for having actually read my 7750 posts :)

Great stuff

RG

Well I want to say, your probably one of the few who took the time to actually read and try to understand this movement. Thanks for the feedback on the posts I did up, I am glad you found them useful.

Indeed you did read my information correctly, and the answer is YES, the least wear overall on the movement is with the chrono in the ON position, for the exact reasons you quoted.

In summary, with the Chrono OFF, everything except for the 12 hour wheel is turning (I dont' include the chrono seconds or 30 minute counter, as they have no wear when running...) so when you turn the chrono ON, you release the 12 hour wheel and the clutch is not wearing out anymore...

I leave mine ON all the time...

If you ever send a watch my way for service, I'll make sure to add an extra drop of oil for having actually read my 7750 posts :)

Great stuff

RG

lol thanks for the reply, yea it's no big thing, like i said.. i'm an info-seeker -.- my mind tries to process a ton of it so i can make more effective informed decisions (one such was paying the ridiculously high price for the HBB which I didn't even want to support)

:p glad to see i understood even a little, lol.. and if i ever send a watch for service, it'll prolly be the HBB but i'm hoping not to cross that bridge for a while ^^ thank you

:thumbsupsmileyanim: