When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stuck between a rock and another rock

freddy333

What would you do if you MUST cannibalize the movement from this watch (for a Newman project), but also want to be able to continue to wear this rare & beautiful timepiece?

274478-2790.jpg

Considering what I had to pay for the watch (the purchase price was based on its having a V72 movement), I probably will not be able to purchase another fully-functional tri-compax Valjoux watch anytime soon. So I am looking for recommendations on a more affordable alternative movement that I can use with this dial and case. What would you do?

Yes, that is exactly the problem. I purchased the watch just for the movement, but then I fell in love with the watch. (I hate to admit it, but there are times when this watch looks cooler than the Newman. I probably just need more sleep.)

Does DW sell bare mystery movements, or where can I source one? Or would a V22 or V23 be a better alternative?

Freezing the hand is not a problem, but I am wondering what the price difference is between an average V23 & the mystery movement? I have never used a mystery movement, but my impression is that they are about as reliable as the average secs @ 6 7750 (not reliable). So if a V23 is close in cost, that would probably be the better alternative since I have a funny feeling that this watch may be getting more actual wrist time than the Newman does (yes, I like it that much).

You bought this watch as a parts donor. :) Right? Don't go soft man. :p Slice it open, take out the caliber and then see if you can use the remaining parts for anything else. Maybe you will patch a cheaper caliber back in and revive it, even if it limps (frozen 6). Let the donor find its course and focus on your project. Go on with your initial plan, or you might end up getting a next donor and not having the guts to slice that too :)

PS: You are not a surgeon by any chance, are you? :p

PS2: It IS a very nice watch.

Were it that simple. Yes, the watch was purchased as a donor. But, while awaiting the required parts for the Newman project (most of which arrived yesterday, but I need to make a couple of correctional changes), it became my favorite (wearable) watch and has been seeing nearly as much wrist time as my beater. So it will need to be put back into service as soon as I can afford to locate a V23 or other suitable movement.

Unfortunately, as many here are aware, a Newman is not the type of watch one can (realistically) wear often. So it is just a bit of a shame to cripple my favorite near-daily wearer in favor of a watch that will spend most of its time in a case. But the Newman is my grail watch, so it is a very difficult choice.

Yes, I hear ya, Tribal.

But here is another issue to consider. The case the Fly arrived in looked newer than a watch of 40-50 years of age, so I asked the seller about it. As it turns out, the case is not original to the Fly's dial & movement. So that will make it a bit easier when I have to steal its movement to use in the Newman. But finding a replacement V23 will be a priority so I can get my new baby back into service as soon as possible.