When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Diverse Membership

Victoria

Since the fortnight that I become more than a lurker here, which also is the case in other rep forums, I've noticed one thing that is glaringly obvious.

Almost 100% of the 'wrist check' shots and the like, are all from us whiteys, or at least, non-African-Americans, etc.

Are black members in rep forums that scarce?

It doesn't matter one bit what colour one is, but it's curious, yes? -- and perhaps the tiniest bit discomfitting that we're so vanilla. :)

Ack! Perhaps this isn't for the General Discussion area, but for OT. Sorry, admins. Please adjust the thread if necessary. :(

I personally don't think it matters what one's ethinc background is ... I, for one, am mixed race (Afro-Cuban/ Filipino) and i know a lot of black people that are into their reps .... But i reckon that we have a fairly diverse international comunity here...

Actually, this is something that occured to me a while back as well, in terms of people's wrist shots, but, as mentioned, this is such an international community, that more than makes up the diversity factor :) Sure, I might look fairly 'Scandanavian', but I've got quite a mix of nationalities vying for genetic supremacy in the mix, including Algerian and Austrian Jewish... Oh, and just to add to the confusion and the diversity, I enjoy reading the Qur'an, but am not actually a practicing Muslim. Takes all sorts to keep things interesting :)

It's just one of those things that are "That's just the way it is.." I guess.

I don't think it's about stereotypes or anything like that, but when I saw a wristshot from a dark skinned person on here I thought "Hey, a black guy!" :)

This is without doubt the most intelligent and diverse online community I have been part of, and we have every kind here..

"There were wackos and weirdos and dingbats and dodos, athletes and movie stars and David Allan Coe, there were leather and lace and every minority race.. With a seat in the RWG show.."

Since the fortnight that I become more than a lurker here, which also is the case in other rep forums, I've noticed one thing that is glaringly obvious.

Almost 100% of the 'wrist check' shots and the like, are all from us whiteys, or at least, non-African-Americans, etc.

It doesn't matter one bit what colour one is, but it's curious, yes? -- and perhaps the tiniest bit discomfitting that we're so vanilla. :)

Ack! Perhaps this isn't for the General Discussion area, but for OT. Sorry, admins. Please adjust the thread if necessary. :(

It is a good point. Equally interesting and disappointing is the lack of female participation. Based on some of the postings, this is just not a female-friendly site and that really is too bad.

Kind of a moot point, I think.

I've belonged to the rep forums going on 4 years now and have never read any deragatory comments towards minorities. I can't imagine the environment here isn't welcoming, but what do I know?

Besides, just because one doesn't see wrist shots doesn't mean we don't have a much more diverse membership than we think. A lot of members are lurkers and choose to stay in the background.

It is a good point. Equally interesting and disappointing is the lack of female participation. Based on some of the postings, this is just not a female-friendly site and that really is too bad.

I can't speak for anyone but myself (because my ventriloquist dummy is at the cleaners), but I've never felt or been made to feel the least uncomfortable here because I'm a woman. Much on the contrary, I would say.

Now, if by that you meant that since there is a lack of women posting here, this forum might be female-friendly, I would say that's just the nature of the business, I guess. It's like a soccer forum.

Or a lack of males in a rep handbag forum. :)

I can't speak for anyone but myself (because my ventriloquist dummy is at the cleaners), but I've never felt or been made to feel the least uncomfortable here because I'm a woman. Much on the contrary, I would say.

Now, if by that you meant that since there is a lack of women posting here, this forum might be female-friendly, I would say that's just the nature of the business, I guess. It's like a soccer forum.

"Female-unfriendly" that is.

"There were wackos and weirdos and dingbats and dodos, athletes and movie stars and David Allan Coe, there were leather and lace and every minority race.. With a seat in the RWG show.."

Reminds me of another little diddy................

We got winners, we got losers

Chain smokers and boozers

And we got yuppies, we got bikers

We got thristy hitchhikers

And the girls next door dress up like movie stars

Hmm, hmm, hmm I love this bar

We got cowboys, we got truckers

Broken-hearted fools and suckers

And we got hustlers, we got fighters

Early birds and all-nighters

And the veterans talk about their battle scars

Many people have thought I was black at one time or another with all my bling. Really just a nice Jewish boy from Long Island :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Us whiteys got style too.

The fact is that in the US African Americans only make up 18% of the population. You won't see much of that small of a minority on any forum really.

"Female-unfriendly" that is.

I am happy you feel that way but I do know we have scared other females off in the past with rather off-color posts appearing in the off-topic thread.

Reminds me of another little diddy................

We got winners, we got losers

Chain smokers and boozers

And we got yuppies, we got bikers

We got thristy hitchhikers

And the girls next door dress up like movie stars

We got cowboys, we got truckers

Broken-hearted fools and suckers

And we got hustlers, we got fighters

Early birds and all-nighters

And the veterans talk about their battle scars

Many people have thought I was black at one time or another with all my bling. Really just a nice Jewish boy from Long Island :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The fact is that in the US African Americans only make up 18% of the population. You won't see much of that small of a minority on any forum really.

well if that is true, one would think 18% of the US based forum members are African American.. and maybe it is, but my intuition tells me otherwise.

Heh, first, loved the diddy. But your stat doesn't make sense. Aren't there 14-20 million Jewish people around the world, TOTAL? :)

By that reckoning there should be very few, if any Jewish posters here and I'll bet you there are plenty!

Why? Maybe because of the perceived affluence Jewish people have...ah, I think I just answered my own question (or maybe not!, since reps are WAY cheaper than real ones, wouldn't it follow that perceived lower incomed people would flock to these forums?).

I am happy you feel that way but I do know we have scared other females off in the past with rather off-color posts appearing in the off-topic thread.

Ahh, I see. I rarely go to the OT in this or any other forum that I've frequented. In fact, I hate doing so because of the political angles which tend to sour a lot of potential relationships, in this day and age.

I'm fairly comfortable dealing with men, and I am not a feminazi in the sense of being outraged if guys post stuff about boobs, sex, or anything remotely drool-centric like that. I wouldn't like to think it stopped just because we were around!

Anyway, I got a mouth. If I don't like something I'll pipe up, rather than scoot out of here in terror. :)

P.S.: To make this post a little on-topic, just to mention that I have noticed here in Miami at least, a lot of black people wearing Rolexes, which was not the case even 10 years ago. So they are buying them, just maybe haven't found our forums yet. Look at me, I didn't until a fortnight ago when my boyfriend pointed it out!

Heh, first, loved the diddy. But your stat doesn't make sense. Aren't there 14-20 million Jewish people around the world, TOTAL? :)

By that reckoning there should be very few, if any Jewish posters here and I'll bet you there are plenty!

Why? Maybe because of the perceived affluence Jewish people have...ah, I think I just answered my own question (or maybe not!, since reps are WAY cheaper than real ones, wouldn't it follow that perceived lower incomed people would flock to these forums?).

I disagree. Many of the people on this forum (I have noted) collect both gens and reps. We are into watches. Just a fun and very cool hobby. (Unfortunately a ridiculously expensive little hobby but I'm getting off topic...)

Ack! Anything can be done with photoshop these days :whistling:.....

But lets take a good look at this. Semites (The Arabic and Jewish members), The Finnish, The Sami membersbers (also S

I disagree. Many of the people on this forum (I have noted) collect both gens and reps. We are into watches. Just a fun and very cool hobby. (Unfortunately a ridiculously expensive little hobby but I'm getting off topic...)

So, what I believe you are saying is that EVEN though we collect reps (and yes, also gens; count me in, our family have at least 10-15 of them), we're still into a hobby which requires some purchasing power...hence, perceived or actual lower-incomed people would not be present as much here? Hmm, maybe.

Nanug made an important point, that it may well be a cultural angle. If I had gone into a swimming forum, I might just have asked the same question, only I wouldn't have because societially, we're not used to seeing many black kids in say, Olympic swim teams. But rep watches? That I didn't think applied.

P.S.: Thanks, Nanug! :)

Are all women teasers?

You have your opening. Now clean up the oil on your driveway, shine your chrome with the microfiber cloth, Loctite your bolts, throw on some bling, and try to get that Harley rattling down to Miami. (You can tell I ride a sport motorbike :whistling: )

...and the answer to your question, is "yes."

You have your opening. Now clean up the oil on your driveway, shine your chrome with the microfiber cloth, Loctite your bolts, throw on some bling, and try to get that Harley rattling down to Miami. (You can tell I ride a sport motorbike :whistling: )

...and the answer to your question, is "yes."

[/quote_)

LOL it will be a long ride for me all the way from germay with Mrs FxrAndy chasing me on her harley :bicycle::cc_scooter:

LOL it will be a long ride for me all the way from germay with Mrs FxrAndy chasing me on her harley :bicycle::cc_scooter:

Pros: My mother is German, so I'm in like Flynn conversationally; I get along just great with wives.

Cons: I hate motorcycles. Also, my boyfriend is a hot-tempered Italian.

I think we best stick to flirtation on forums, and the like. *g*