When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I've come to end of collecting replicas...

deepsea

I've come to an end for replicas... The main reason behind this is the faults I'm tired of seeing on the replicas I buy... I'll try to explain and try to be as brief as possible.

1. Very small cracks and scratches or painting problems on the dial.

2. Very Small cracks,scratches or deformations of the paint on the hands.

3. Misaligned hands. (they don't meet up on %100 12) hope you get what I mean.

4. Raised hands (the main reason we use cannon upgrades)

5. Misaligned chrono hands

These faults cannot be seen clearly sometime, you'll have to inspect the watch closely...

dealers claim even the $15000 watch can have these problems... no. NO... at least MOSTLY NO. that's not true, you can only cheat some one that have never owned/inspected gen watches

6. Dust, oil or some deformations on dials, hands (inside the watch)

7. Deformations on the fonts of the watch (I don't mean wrong font thing, for example there is a line on the "L SWISS L" on my 111 in the middle)

Yeah, these deformations can be corrected some how and dealers are helpful, but I'm very tired of the situation...

You pay for a watch...

You wait it anxiously arrive from another part of the world for days...

Your parcel finally arrives,

You open the package, you smile,

You inspect the watch quickly,

You find something,

There is a f* big disappointment,

The watch you bought brand new MUST BE OPENED AND PARTED to correct the fault, most likely you'll have to wait for some spare parts etc...

For me, it happens too much for the last months, maybe my bad luck...

There is another interesting situation. On cheap watches, there aren't these faults.

for example my $130 omega railmaster XXL has no faults that are mentioned above :) but All watches they are advertised as high, have these faults... Latest problem is 249 arrived to me with some deformations on the painted hands, and a very small paint difference on the dial... nothing big, I can never show it on photos, it is just seen under direct midday sun or a glass lamp... but I know they are there and it BUGS me...

The idea I've for the problem is: cheaper watches are mounted by machines... so no inperfection problems...

but expensiver watches are mounted by hand... and ignorant/cheap hands... so even the movement/case etc is very good, there are f* inperfections due to poor watchsmithy/quality control...

And I don't accept this phase: "you cannot expect good quality control for just a $350 watch..."

no mates. yes $350 might be a funny price compared to $10000... but it isn't a small price itself... get yourself a $60 swatch. compare it with your replicas. that damned swatch has much better details/quality control and less faulty than our $200-1000 watches... (pls don't tell me "get yourself a swatch then", pls try to understand what I mean here, the brand swatch is not important here :))

I believe these watches are put together for $20-30 or maximum $70-80, and sold to us for more than $300-400... geez...

This is my observation.

So at this point. I've come to an end for replicas... I'll get a few final replicas.

omega railmaster regular, omega planet ocean, panerai ferrari 008, and a panerai 187 (if it ever happens a very good swiss version in the future) than it is over. I'll focus on modifying/upgrading what's already in my hand, and GENS...

What do you think about the problems I've mentioned above? Does them bug only me? :)

Edited by deepsea

Jon Fort nailed it.

Some of your comments were utter [censored] as well. If you claim that a Swatch or Invicta is "better built" than the new SFSO you must be smoking crack.

I've come to an end for replicas... The main reason behind this is the faults I'm tired of seeing on the replicas I buy... I'll try to explain and try to be as brief as possible.

Buy from someone who inspects YOUR watch for the problems first.....when you buy from drop shippers.....what dya expect......the wee guy in the factory doesn't know you from a warmpissholein the snow.....how can you expect himto care.....and don;t give me the old [censored] about the dealer should care....no drop shipping dealer has the time to deal personally with your order......!

I completely agree about the dropshipping comment. I've had almost 30 reps and only ONE problematic watch, a ExpII replica with the questionable hand stack modification.

Loose screws, sharp edges on the bracelet, sure. But all that stuff is easy to finish yourself.

I don't buy from dropshippers. So... there must be some kind of connection.

I just bought my first modern high quality gen, a black Omega SMP. Yes it is better quality than my reps, maybe even much better. But it cost five-six times as much even at a great price. Examining the gen didn't make me more aware of my reps shortcomings, it made me more aware of just how good the reps are. Most people would never notice the shortcomings of good reps, I know I didn't before I found this board. Many of the more subtle shortcomings I still can't spot.

I get aggravated as well when something shows up on my doorstep - and it is not as per expectation. Even with all of the research and great reviews on the board - you still need to be pretty lucky to get a "perfect" rep. The way that we examine things - you can always find a fault.

However, my currently attitude is this: I do not buy anything that I would not spend money on to fix - and I fully expect that I will have do to so. In the end, I always like upgrading regardless of how good it is.

Once you become comfortable with that - reps are tons of fun!

What do you think about the problems I've mentioned above? Does them bug only me? :)

I think you are very picky. My watches have problems too, but I say who cares! For ~$250 I get a watch worth ~$30000 If I wanted to replace all of my reps with their gen counterparts it would cost me over $1,500,000! I like to feel rich and look at a watch box worth "millions". I also have watches that are perfect and flawless like my Omega SMP chronometer and Vacheron Constantin 1755 Jubilee.

Many of my timepieces have small faults like you mentioned, but all of them keep good time (if not perfect COSC time) and you would have to have telescopic eyeballs with super-magnification to notice them if I were just walking down the street. These issues bothered me at first, like my PAM with dust under the crystal, but now I just don't give a hoot! And I'm much happier for it!

If I were into collecting gens I would have maybe one watch, the cheapest Omega or some kind of used decrepit Rolex. The watches offered by our dealers here are phenomenal, because they provide me with variety. One day I can wear a PAM, the other day a Rolex, no way I would ever be able to do that with the real deal. ...the fact that the former has dust under the glass does not override the fact that nobody even knows what a PAM is in hickville Canada.

I will never buy a genuine watch ever. Never ever ever... unless I win the lottery. If I win a gen, I'll sell it to get more reps!

Just my opinion..

C

Indeed... And we all know that with reps, some flaws and inconsistencies are to be expected. Just part of the game :)

Finally, I can use your quote (my sig) on somebody... :whistling:

But seriously, @deepsea, be thankful that rep collecting did lead you to make a decision to purchase gens... :victory:

Perspective - your perspective is off. A $200 rep should not be expected to be perfect - it is a cheap copy. If you want the best rendition of a brand watch buy the real thing at 100 times the price. You will receive a better version and be out 20K. Cheers

-Your post sounds a bit like you're trying to convince others to stop collecting reps. Is this the case?
no this is not the case. I wrote things that bug me about replicas, and just wanted to know if I'm the only one or are there any other people that have same unhappiness about replicas...

I'm really not overly concern if you do or do not continue this hobby. I don't really care about whether or not you continue to do scrapbooking, or if you separate your whites from your colours before you do laundry. This is a place to talk about the hobby, gain some knowledge, and have a laugh. I always hate the "Screw you guys I'm going home" posts on a hobby forum. It smacks of self absorption and contributes about as much to the hobby as does my latest cholesterol levels.

Yeah I respect it but what is the point of replying someone's topic if you don't care about him or the things he is mentioning?

and BTW, this wasn't a post of "I'm leaving guys byeeeeeeee"...

On the other hand, thanks for the other comments, and TTK's advice is appriciated, thank you. :)

Picky, Picky, Picky. They all have some issues and many you site are arn't worth worrying about. Besides this is a hobby for many of us and we just take the issues as challenges to work on. We learn somthing on each watch, we make the improvements and we get satisfation on the project. Great hobby. Great watches - far better than the swatch.

Usil

I completely agree about the dropshipping comment. I've had almost 30 reps and only ONE problematic watch, a ExpII replica with the questionable hand stack modification.

Loose screws, sharp edges on the bracelet, sure. But all that stuff is easy to finish yourself.

I don't buy from dropshippers. So... there must be some kind of connection.

I disagree with those who are criticising this post. Look, this is an open venue to discuss all aspects of replica watch collecting. This person is expressing a point of view. It might even help the 'collectors" better understand the need for quality control. Either way, it is a perspective that is a legitimate and relevant as some of the more postivie posts here are.

I did not get from this a 'screw you i am going home' attitude, just a thoughtful explanation of why he is disappointed and why he no longer finds value in the hobby. Nothing wrong with this at all as far as I am concerned.

It also further highlights the value of QC before shipping which I think is more and more becoming a distinguishing value added dealer service.

Everyone is well aware of the quality control problems with reps. Statistically speaking, there will be a few really unlucky people out there that will get one bad one after another just due to chance while a few others will have one perfect one after another. I guess I sympathize with the frustrations of the first group. For some very similar reasons, I was turned off a while myself, but then after a break something kicked in again and ordered a few interesting things two weeks ago. Who knows,

The problem is that no one cares about anything here... People just care about themselves.

Dealer about money and us about our watches. But that's the way of life...

But he is also right that there are lot of flaws in High price watches...

Also, TTK is right (even if it is in order to gain more money) when he said that he has to order from someone who QC the watches he sells...and TTK does as some other too...

For the rest, sorry for you man to see all this problem, I can imagine how it is hard to wait for something so hard until the day you recieve it and there are flaws on it...:(

I see only one solution here instead of stoping buying reps: ORDER FROM SOMEONE WHO QC HIS WATCHES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because no one is going to change this problem, the dealer cannot heavily change the way factory build the watches and factories themselves who don't care about their long range customer as they don't have too. (no law for it)

don't forget that the "quality" in China is not the same as Europe or US. That's why a lot of european poeple earn a lot of money helping Chinese factories with the "quality check" thing...but that another story

You can only trust your dealer who is the only one who can fix this...

;)