When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why are replica crystals domed?

ob1w0n

Just wondering, is a flat crystal that much more expensive? For example, a genuine Omega SMP GMT has a flat crystal, whereas the replica has a dome which affects certain viewing angles. Just wondering if there is a good reason for using the dome over the flat crystal.

*also posted on TRC

Just wondering, is a flat crystal that much more expensive? For example, a genuine Omega SMP GMT has a flat crystal, whereas the replica has a dome which affects certain viewing angles. Just wondering if there is a good reason for using the dome over the flat crystal.

Genuine SMPs are domed, but thet have AR coating so they look flat in photos due to the lack of reflections.

I'm not sure that the gen's aren't domed, but they certainly don't have the viewing angle issue, and they don't "stick out" as much in a side profile....example:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tre...o=1882470&rid=0

looking at the side shots you can see that it's maybe a very very slight dome, but certainly doesn't stick up like the SMP replicas.

Sorry this is OT but that Bond SMP Chronograph is a killer. Why the rep factories haven't repped this PERFECT WATCH is beyond me. :cry:

Oh yeah... I'd have to sell one of mine to put a down payment on it... She's sweeet !

Regarding domed lenses, I always figured them best for extreme side angles, like when driving for instance

or working with your arm extended.

I'm not sure why the factories would install incorrect crystals on the Omega, The sapphire clones I have ( Pam 029 & 063 and a TW Sub) have crystals that are flatter than Kansas. However, they did forget to apply AR coatings on the Pam crystals-it's always something. I suspect if we make enough of an issue about the Omegas, someone might listen and install correct crystals on future versions.

Great watches, Ubi!

Another vote for domes, vintage acrylic that is. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

36629-39178.jpg

36629-39179.jpg

Edited by Jetsons

Genuine domed glass crystals are usually of uniform thickness, i.e. the inner surface is concave and the outer is convex. No magnifying glass effect.

Many replicas is use a convex outer surface and flat inner, in other words, a simple magnifying lens. Looks like crap from the side and I just can't wear a rep with this flaw (unless the gen is the same).

Acrylic is molded so it is easy to duplicate the shape of originals. I'm with Ubi, make mine tall and acrylic. I love my Helfand's Tropic 39, optically superb and a perfect fit on the common DRSD rep (but you will have to settle for a non-rotating bezel).

Here's some shots of my GMT SMP for reference....The dome and its distortion effect is a dead giveaway...I would be pretty upset if the genuine looked like this from an angle.

You chose the worst possible shot,.... I have my smp on right now and can see many more angles

that though not 100% perfect,..still very much readable.

As for 'dead giveaway",... To Whom ? Rep experts ? Are we our own worse enemy ?

very well, to be fair, here is a shot at the limit at which distortion occurs. Moving in the vertical plane, I'd say the distortion occurs at about the same point on the other side as well.

36904-39109.jpg

As for being "not noticable", this effect is very obvious for a 180 degree viewing angle in any direction as Nanuq pointed out with his photo of the PO on its side. If you rest your hands with your watch face pointing up, this is noticeable to observers (admittedly only from a rather close range). It's also noticable to the wearer if you like to rest your hand in its side.

The point is not how noticable this effect is, suffice it to say that it bothers me and I'm looking for a fix to this problem short of buying a new watch. Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Edited by ob1w0n

Notice it I can... but it doesn't bother me in the slighest...a slight alteration of the angle and it's gone..

We all have to pick and choose our personal tolerated differences that are too often named 'flaws'..

{ to me a flaw, is a crooked marker, or others related to QC,... }

Other's like wrong dials i.e. Iwc Big Pilot, I term Inaccurate.. those I try my best to steer away from as well.

However even in inaccuracies, If I were to allow this crystal issue to bother me,.. knowing that gen crystals

will not fit most replicas...my collection would not be half a varied or enjoyable as it is..

thus I choose to ignore,.. :)

Beautiful Gmt by the way.. I have one as well and love it .. just the way it is... !

yeah Richard I guess you make some good points, but isn't AR coating cheap? Especially for a surface area of this size. I guess it's just one of those business things where the added cost of AR might not get you a lot more money for the product, which is unfortunate.

Is there any way to remove the crystal and send it out for AR coating, and then reinstall (as opposed to trying to fit a gen crystal)?

And yeah the GMT is very nice, except for the bezel....but that's one of those things that doesn't bother me ;) (but it seems to bother a lot of people lol).

edit: except for the bezel, and obviously this crystal issue :yeah:

Edited by ob1w0n