When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega- Exclusive Brand - REally

fotoman

so i went to try on this Aqua Terra 42mm "big size" its really cool, they should rep it

but the lady was like - let me tell you what they are doing with omega, they just cut down on the number of retail stores, so you will find them in less now - its more exclusive.

I was like - so, what now only 74 million stores?

Cmon lady

Omega? Exclusive? Hello?

They have been yanking small boutique dealers franchises for quite some time now. I read an article not too long ago about a guy who had been an Omega AD for 20 or so years and they stopped shipping to him. They said they want to improve their image by selling only in high volume mega stores who honor the retail price with no discount. It's just like what Rolex has done for years. Only recently did I start seeing Rolex AD's offering discounts. You would think this would hurt their sales. Isn't business about bottom line? Image isn't everything.

I have a strange rule of thumb... if a watch is sold in a store in my town of Ottawa, Canada; it is not rare.

For instance;

Omega is sold in 3 different locations in ottawa

Therefore, Omega is not rare or exclusive.

Vacheron Constantin dealer is 500Km away from Ottawa

Therefore, VC is rare and exclusive.

...works every time....

No... I think they're somewhat of a grey market source... My comment was just tongue in cheek... :lol:

I do suspect that the Costco 'issue' is one of the motivating factors for wanting to tighten up distribution... But I think Costco obtains their stock in a different manner than most other grey market dealers/sources do (i.e. not by buying excess inventory off of AD's selling out the back door).

I don't think omega is 'exclusive' at least not here in the UK. You regularly see them in sales at authorised dealers, at christmas I saw a 42mm orange PO at halfprice in an AD window. On top of that at least one AD regularly offers 3 years 0% finance on omegas (and a few other brands) so anyone who can afford

Strange as it may seem, it is true, part of Omega's new global strategy...

As been mentioned, the little guys have been dropped, and even amongst the large high-end chain ADs, they are consolidating distribution to only the flagship stores in an effort to increase the perception of exclusivity and create more of a demand. Hell, it works for Rolex so why not.

As for discounts, I find that is a bit of a false indicator especially here in the EU....in my experience with ADs, whether buying a Mercedes or a Panerai or a Rolex (brands which proudly state "no discounts, don't ask"), the price in the window is the RRP and fixed. But then you have the chat, agree the spec, and then and only then when you've almost completed the transaction....you ask to be reminded about the price, almost as an afterthought, and then when told, say nothing.....pause........*tumbleweed rolling*....before the salesman having given a paranoid glance around, takes you aside and in a conspiratorial whisper, mentions that of course, there is some flexibility on price :ph34r:

Works every time :whistling:

Strange as it may seem, it is true, part of Omega's new global strategy...

As been mentioned, the little guys have been dropped, and even amongst the large high-end chain ADs, they are consolidating distribution to only the flagship stores in an effort to increase the perception of exclusivity and create more of a demand. Hell, it works for Rolex so why not.

As for discounts, I find that is a bit of a false indicator especially here in the EU....in my experience with ADs, whether buying a Mercedes or a Panerai or a Rolex (brands which proudly state "no discounts, don't ask"), the price in the window is the RRP and fixed. But then you have the chat, agree the spec, and then and only then when you've almost completed the transaction....you ask to be reminded about the price, almost as an afterthought, and then when told, say nothing.....pause........*tumbleweed rolling*....before the salesman having given a paranoid glance around, takes you aside and in a conspiratorial whisper, mentions that of course, there is some flexibility on price :ph34r:

Works every time :whistling:

nice move, i'll put that in the book of tricks

but the lady was like - let me tell you what they are doing with omega, they just cut down on the number of retail stores, so you will find them in less now - its more exclusive.

I was like - so, what now only 74 million stores?

Cmon lady

Omega? Exclusive? Hello?

I just read an interview in 24/00 where Omega CEO said they were going after Rolex in terms of sales volume !!!!

Ahhhh... The art of negotiation, eh doc? I love it!

:lol:

nice move, i'll put that in the book of tricks

You know, it's almost become a perverse sadistic pleasure of mine....waiting until the salesman can almost taste the sale, the fine art of saying nothing, a sudden apathetic eyebrow, reconsidering perhaps.....you can almost see the bead of sweat on their brow. Did it with my Merc and five grand (sterling) came off in the blink of an eye....course it helped that the Audi dealership is literally next door. ^_^

Must admit though, it depends how I'm treated.....high-end watch purveyors are either incredibly patronising/annoying/rude or respectful/pleasure to deal with. No grey areas it seems. Stupid perhaps, but I'd rather pass up a bigger discount and shop elsewhere for that service. My local AD (probably the best independent AD in the country outside Bond St) for instance, I don't ask or expect a discount.....but I'm always treated well even if I just go in for a browse and a chat....they're playing the long game of course, very smart, and I respect that.