When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai Fiddy: finally got a decent one. At least, that is what I think

Stephane

Dear All,

This is a pictorial and review of the current state of my Fiddy.

I originally got it from Kelster and that was a good deal  :thumbsupsmileyanim:

What was done on that watch:

It was the right case and a nice looking Fiddy but the movement was Asian based.

Some work was needed and here is the list:

A true 100% Swiss movement was installed.

Super Luminova applied.

Case refinished to get the genuine finish (still scratches remains, but again, it's an old watch).

Crystal, bezel, everything was reseated.

O-Rings greased.

Movement was serviced (disassembled, cleaned, checked for damage, oiled and reassembled)

Crown Guard was installed correctly, so it seals better now.

A new seconds hand has been installed as the old one broke because of its poor quality.

The old hour hand has been kept after cleaning it, scratches are only very subtle and do not bother me.

Newly added capped minute hand.

Dial has been reassembled correctly.

Dial surface repainted – surface is absolutely neat now, perfect and very nice structure.

Your opinions are welcome

First I got this ugly one back a year ago  :yuk:

Panerai 1950: my ugly rep

Then I got Kelster one  :g:

Fiddy: Kelster'one before mods

Now I have the one pictured here under…

If you think some other things should be done, please feel free to shoot.

Conclusion

Well it was quite hard to finally put my hands on a decent Fiddy.

I'm happy it's here now as I have a splendid genuine Panerai Box for it ;)

Still, I have no idea which strap I should buy.

For the moment it's a BOB Honey one.

More than happy to receive some suggestions from experts!

Cheers & Thanks for reading.

Stephane

PaneraiFiddy_800_13.jpg

PaneraiFiddy_800_14.jpg

PaneraiFiddy_800_01.jpg

PaneraiFiddy_800_02.jpg

PaneraiFiddy_800_03.jpg

PaneraiFiddy_800_04.jpg

PaneraiFiddy_800_06.jpg

PaneraiFiddy_800_07.jpg

PaneraiFiddy_800_05.jpg

PaneraiFiddy_800_08.jpg

PaneraiFiddy_800_10.jpg

PaneraiFiddy_800_09.jpg

PaneraiFiddy_800_12.jpg

PaneraiFiddy_800_11.jpg

PaneraiFiddy_800_16.jpg

PaneraiFiddy_800_17.jpg

PaneraiFiddy_800_18.jpg

Dial, case, crystal, they all are perfect, congrats!

Personally, I think it's a pity that the movement -- even if an ETA -- is not accurate to the model. Especially on such a good piece under any other respects.

As for the strap, I am sure all other member will suggest you more-or-less brown leather straps, so I'll submit you a black CF instead (on a black face 203, very similar to the fiddy):

281574-11062.jpg

281574-11063.jpg

281574-11064.jpg

281574-11065.jpg

281574-11066.jpg

Thanks SSSurfer.

Black strap is not my favourite color but I must admit yours looks great.

As for the mvt, I have no idea what is accurate or not.

So you say, this one should be in there :wounded1:

Is it one I could keep for another Pam ?

What mvt should I put in that Fiddy ?

I have so few time to read Pam literature as I try to keep my knowledge updated with Rolex.

It's a pity days aren't doing 48 hours :mellow:

Cheers

Stephane

If you have gone to this much trouble and it is in the budget I would swap out the movement if it is in the budget (or from a solid case back PAM if you have one) and definitely put in the proper longer canon pinion. That cap is really weird. The top of the pinion should be polished and rounded. Watch does look really good though.

There are two camps on the issue of the movement. Yours is a proper ETA unitas movement I believe, but it doesn't have the swan neck regulator of the gen. But here's the thing - in the reps the swan neck regulator is a Chinese add-on, and anybody that knows to look for a swan neck regulator isn't going to be fooled by the other flaws in the movement - and in any case, what kind of fool is taking their watch off and handing it to a Paneristi trying to pass it off in any case.

The point is - on the wrist, you have a great Fiddy with a proper ETA movement that will run and run.

Black straps look great on it - perhaps my ideal Fiddy strap would be a 'vintage' strap though.

There are two camps on the issue of the movement. Yours is a proper ETA unitas movement I believe, but it doesn't have the swan neck regulator of the gen. But here's the thing - in the reps the swan neck regulator is a Chinese add-on, and anybody that knows to look for a swan neck regulator isn't going to be fooled by the other flaws in the movement - and in any case, what kind of fool is taking their watch off and handing it to a Paneristi trying to pass it off in any case.

Valid points. Personally, I like the correct bridges look - and best to find one w/ a good job done on the Swan's. DSN has the best IMO.

Got one coming - I already have a nice Fiddy so really buying DSN's for the mvmt!

@Stephane - that's a much nicer looking Fiddy than Mk 1 and also a good pin.

281653-11039.jpg

281653-11040.jpg

281653-11041.jpg

Stephane, your watch is great, the Cannon Pin Cap is a compromise that you know. Higher Cannon Pin is no problem... The movement is a workhorse, if yo uwant to go as clsoe as it gets it is the wrong one, but it is guaranteed to be all Swiss - not one of those Swinese or Chiss movements with some ETA marks but 100% Asian parts... strange stuff going on there, probably not worth the dollars.

@ Stephane can always get a proper pin installed.

Yeah, there's all sorts of stuff going on - mine is Swiss ETA + CN Swan's / bridges (per The Zigmeister).

@ all: thanks for all these informations.

I think I will ask my favourite MM to change the cannon pin for Xmas ;)

As for the mvt, you guys seems to say it's a great one: super swiss from switzerland and all without any Asian piece.

No one will ever see it when on my wrist except my kids :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I not stupid enough to show off with these watches. :animal_rooster:

Ok, the straps ? So we have two option a black (superb indeed after some though) and vintage...

Maybe 1950 should mean vintage after all.

Ok, I get exited now...stop. I'll finish my other projects first.

Thanks & Cheers

Stephane

I wouldn't worry about the movement. Any one who knows what they're looking for isn't going to be fooled by the "correct" replica movement, and those who don't know what they're looking for won't care. This is a quality movement that will serve you for a long time. From the front, the watch looks amazing.

The point is - on the wrist, you have a great Fiddy with a proper ETA movement that will run and run.

Black straps look great on it - perhaps my ideal Fiddy strap would be a 'vintage' strap though.

Remember the guy that did try to pass one off? He took the actual Panerai E-series movement out of his 113 and transplanted it into a Fiddy case. Posted pics on P*neristi. They called him out instantly on the serial number.

Bottom line, you cannot fool the cognescenti with these things.

i think i would not bother getting the swanneck movement.. yours is true swiss and reliable. besides, the gen movement looks nothing like the rep movement and no one would be fooled anyways.. i think the watch looks great! get a good MF strap on there! here is the movement on my 183g which is the same as the gen fiddy.

282213-10791.jpg