When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I just got my Pam Fiddy Ultimate from Davidsen!

reficul

Hello folks!

I finally got it! After tons of romancing emailing session with Davidsen, I managed to get the ultimate Fiddy!

My thoughts, the whole watch looks wonderful! I really cannot complain much... seriously....

The only few flaws I found is the AR on the sapphire is way too much. The gen looks almost NO AR in fact. Hence I wanted to remove the AR tint on mine. Any ideas how to remove it safely?

The other thing is, I am looking for a tool to open this caseback as this caseback is huge! Anyone can recommend me how to get the caseback opener for this fiddy? I even thought of using a clay and pressing it onto the caseback while the clay is wet to form the mould so that when it is hard, I can use it to open the caseback... LOL Not too sure if the clay will be too soft then.... lol

Thanks for any ideas mates! I will find time to post pictures when I have done all the necessary upgrades myself! :-) :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The only few flaws I found is the AR on the sapphire is way too much. The gen looks almost NO AR in fact. Hence I wanted to remove the AR tint on mine. Any ideas how to remove it safely?

CONGRATULATIONS! That's a romancing the stone procedure still to come for me. ;)

One question about AR, in general. I read an Omega review yesterday where the writer said he doesn't approve of double-AR coating on watches. If anything, just on the underside of the sapphire crystal, since having AR on top is more prone to scratching?

Confirmation?

One question about AR, in general. I read an Omega review yesterday where the writer said he doesn't approve of double-AR coating on watches. If anything, just on the underside of the sapphire crystal, since having AR on top is more prone to scratching?

Confirmation?

Definitely. The AR hardness is not as hard as Sapphire and when the top AR is scratched, the sapphire crystal will appears as though it is damaged.

Hence I wanted to remove the AR tint on mine. Any ideas how to remove it safely?

Cape cod cloths.

The other thing is, I am looking for a tool to open this caseback as this caseback is huge! Anyone can recommend me how to get the caseback opener for this fiddy?
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Arrival-custom-mad...VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...atchlink:top:it

Confirmation?

Confirmed.

Even if chieftang's double side AR coat is in compliance with military specs, i.e. it must stand at least 20 pumice-stone strokes without showing any scratches.

This puts it halfway between sapphire and glass. So, if placed on a glass crystal, that AR coating actually makes the crystal harder to get scratched.

Unfortunately, not the same on sapphire. But if one really wants double AR coating like on some gens (not PAMs), that makes for a fair compromise.

Yes it is unfortunate that AR does scratch. I have a very tiny one on my gen Breitling, and it is obvious once you know it is there. However, the other watches that I have with double AR are fine. If it is a watch that you won't wear for rigorous activities, it is quite hard to scratch the coating.

Cape cod clothes.

Confirmed.

Even if chieftang's double side AR coat is in compliance with military specs, i.e. it must stand at least 20 pumice-stone strokes without showing any scratches.

This puts it halfway between sapphire and glass. So, if placed on a glass crystal, that AR coating actually makes the crystal harder to get scratched.

Unfortunately, not the same on sapphire. But if one really wants double AR coating like on some gens (not PAMs), that makes for a fair compromise.

Thank you sssurfer! Now I need to find a good caseback remover to remove the AR!

Thanks again! I will post pics once everything is done!

Thank you sssurfer! Now I need to find a good caseback remover to remove the AR!

Well, those were two links to caseback openers for 47mm:

one quick comment re: AR coating scratches....given the goal of an AR coating is to make the crystal invisible, most of the time minor scratches in the AR coating of a crystal are not noticeable. i'm usually pretty anal about scratches on watches (in particular, scratches on crystals), but for whatever reason, small scratches in the AR coating don't bother me too much.

deltatahoe

Hahaha... Sorry, I meant to say its time for me to get one, not find one! I saw your earlier post to the links!

Thank you for taking time off to help me here sssurfer! :-)

PS: sssurfer = Super Silver Surfer?

got mine last friday. this thing was worth the 4 month wait. Awesome piece!! the strap is top notch too!!

Yes, I was most surprised at the movement. The movement just needs a little "rodico touching up" and remove those finger print smear and it looks really close to the gen! My friend has a gen 127 and we compared it. There is really minimal flaws between Davidsen's and this one....

The movement keeps time to +2-3 second for 3 days already! Top notch!

PS: sssurfer = Super Silver Surfer?

sssurfer = stainless steel surfer.

I found this more appropriate than silver to a replica forum. :lol:

----

Btw, just in order to avoid any possible misunderstanding in case anyone interested in removing AR coat read this thread in the future:

Cape Cod cloths are only to remove AR from sapphire crystals! DON'T use them on mineral crystals!

sssurfer = stainless steel surfer.

I found this more appropriate than silver to a replica forum. :lol:

----

Btw, just in order to avoid any possible misunderstanding in case anyone interested in removing AR coat read this thread in the future:

Cape Cod cloths are only to remove AR from sapphire crystals! DON'T use them on mineral crystals!

Stainless Steel Surfer, now that is really a good one! ROTFL

Thanks again mate. You have been a great help. I was just wondering for ALL DSN fiddy crystal, did you guys have to remove the AR as well?

...so are you guys planning to post some photos of the latest Ultimate-Fiddy...or do we need to beg ?! :lol:

Hello Babola,

I will, but not now as I am still in the process of doing my personal modd. Will definitely share pics when its done!

Mod ?! :o

On DSN Ultimate Fiddy ?!

Tell us more mate...

babola

well, I will need to redo the case so that the CG appears to be sitting away from the case more. Currently, you cannot really see the "flat" side of the CG before the curvy side of it. Secondly, I will need to remove the irritating AR from the crystal. The gen AR is sooo subtle that you almost can't see any AR at all. Thirdly, I will do a final finish touchup on the crown surface as the finishing currently appears a little too rough. I will also need to redo the inside of the CG lever too. And finally, I will remove those fingerprints on the gears, swan neck regulator and the movement bridges.... And maybe some little touch up here and there....

So, as you can see, its all very minimal work for me, but I am kinda a perfectionist here. And since it is so accurate, I thought that I should make it close to near perfect gen! I might post a picture with a gen 217 to compare when I am done with all the works.

well, I will need to redo the case so that the CG appears to be sitting away from the case more. Currently, you cannot really see the "flat" side of the CG before the curvy side of it. Secondly, I will need to remove the irritating AR from the crystal. The gen AR is sooo subtle that you almost can't see any AR at all. Thirdly, I will do a final finish touchup on the crown surface as the finishing currently appears a little too rough. I will also need to redo the inside of the CG lever too. And finally, I will remove those fingerprints on the gears, swan neck regulator and the movement bridges.... And maybe some little touch up here and there....

So, as you can see, its all very minimal work for me, but I am kinda a perfectionist here. And since it is so accurate, I thought that I should make it close to near perfect gen! I might post a picture with a gen 217 to compare when I am done with all the works.

Gen 217 owner !? :victory: Congrats !

So can we see some pics of your ulti-Fiddy in its current condition ?

cheers,

babola

CONGRATULATIONS! That's a romancing the stone procedure still to come for me. ;)

Confirmation?

when my ar crystal scratched... used aluminum mag rim polish .. if you don't have a dremel .. a rag will do .. took the scratch right out... works well on deep scatches on the metal too, for this you need a dremel .. after the dremel take out the fine swirls with a polishing rag and more Aluminum mag polish.. this works better than jewelers rouge... fine scatches in metal, just the polishing rag and some mag polish works great, ... get it at auto stores ...took out some of the ar coating too :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by lanikai

when my ar crystal scratched... used aluminum mag rim polish .. if you don't have a dremel .. a rag will do .. took the scratch right out... works well on deep scatches on the metal too, for this you need a dremel .. after the dremel take out the fine swirls with a polishing rag and more Aluminum mag polish.. this works better than jewelers rouge... fine scatches in metal, just the polishing rag and some mag polish works great, ... get it at auto stores ...took out some of the ar coating too :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks alot for the advice! Will do so asap when I get my caseback opener! :-)

Gen 217 owner !? :victory: Congrats !

So can we see some pics of your ulti-Fiddy in its current condition ?

cheers,

babola

Most definitely! I am in office now and will do so tonight~ I will post my 217 side by side with it too. :-)

Thanks alot for the advice! Will do so asap when I get my caseback opener! :-)

would not advise you to remove ar from inside of crystal ... Do it from the outside .... check with the tech guy's REGARDING CRYSTAL PRESSURE ....( I used a vise grip pliers on my fiddy ... could not find a case back opener...LOL) sssurfer ..watchmeister ... delta ... flav.. ziggy ... chieftang.. et all ...LIVE STRONG WEAR IT WELL

Edited by lanikai