When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Victoria Beckham

jfreeman420

Okay, here's the latest tally of the Cold War-esque celebrity swap:

TRADING: 1 Madonna + Guy Ritchie for 2 Beckhams

TRADING: 4 Teletubbies for 1 Paltrow and all of Coldplay

TRADING: 1 Tom Cruise for all the kryptonite on his home planet

Did I miss anyone? :p

Paris Hilton :whistling:

They're all poofs....not like the good old days when men were men with c o c k s like tottie mashers....and sheep were nervous!

Edited by TTK

Ok, will you be willing to bet on their failure? I'll take that bet. You lot are going to start to become Soccer fans and the Spice Girls reunion will cause a mini-resurgence of Spice Fever in the US.

Shame, but that's the way of things. :D

"One piece of advice, make the nets smaller" - Dan Rydell, Sports Night.

\

PUGS IS A SPICEGIRLS FAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) probably still has his backstreet boys poster up to.

JK

DOOD TTK - you want the strap?

Guy,

Back to your corners.............now!

Did anyone notice she went to a lot of effort (bait & switch the paps with a sex doll!!!) to get David a very special Chopard, She may be a bimbo,but she shops in the right places :rolleyes:

Rob

Did anyone notice she went to a lot of effort (bait & switch the paps with a sex doll!!!) to get David a very special Chopard, She may be a bimbo,but she shops in the right places :rolleyes:

Anyone here catch Beckham's 15 minute 2H debut with the LA Galaxy, Saturday? My boyfriend alerted me, and as a curiosity piece we watched it "together" (over the phone...).

You'd think it was the second coming of Pele, instead of the fifth reincarnation of David Beckham...but if this makes people in this country more likely to be interested in soccer, all power to him.

P.S.: Tommy Smyth has aged enormously, and put on at least 2 stone since last I saw him. And Lalas has cleaned up well for a hippie.

• 4 weeks later...

... looks like David still has it. I love the look on the goalie's face. It's like "Well, what was I supposed to do?" Not one his fellow goalies are going to take the mickey out of him for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMDAUhKzu1Q

Damn, sweet, sweet precision. Like Shakespeare the way it's meant to be done. Like Tiger on the tee, Marino in the pocket, Fogarty at Assen, etc.

Okay, here's the latest tally of the Cold War-esque celebrity swap:

TRADING: 1 Madonna + Guy Ritchie for 2 Beckhams

TRADING: 4 Teletubbies for 1 Paltrow and all of Coldplay

TRADING: 1 Tom Cruise for all the kryptonite on his home planet

Did I miss anyone? :p

Please, please, please keep Katie Price, aka Jordan. Her voice makes me want to commit hari kari with with a spork. I would be willing to give up a Selma, two Baldwin brothers and a Beil if it guarantees our safety here in the states. Also, someone check on her kid, I'm worried about him. :g:

As far as Soccer, I hope the bet pays off. I would love to see Beckham be the one to finally get the sport off the ground in the pros. I'm a huge American football fan but there is always room for more games to enjoy.

Please, please, please keep Katie Price, aka Jordan. Her voice makes me want to commit hari kari with with a spork. I would be willing to give up a Selma, two Baldwin brothers and a Beil if it guarantees our safety here in the states. Also, someone check on her kid, I'm worried about him. :g:

What about Jordan's new baby. Princess Tiaamii

"We've put an accent over the first A to make it more exotic and two Is at the end just to make it look a bit different,"

You can't make this stuff up. :rolleyes:

I think the jury is still out on soccer in the states. True, it is a fast growing sport with the American youth, as it has been for at least 20 years. In fact that is the point. For some reason, the kids seem to lose interest when they get into their middle teens. Not sure why.

If there is a niche interest in the sport, it is probably with American girls. Mia Hiam has done more for girls' soccer than Pele ever did or than Beckham ever will do. And that is a good thing ... it is nice to see young girls looking up to a positive female athletic role model.

The jury is certainly NOT out on the Spice Girls. Stick a fork in them, they're done.

I hate to admit it, but I think Soccer is growing in the states.

A certain someone I know bought the team in Kansas City Missouri....

Soccer will definitely take off in the US. Too much money behind it. Most popular sport in the world, and the money to be made with US leagues is tremendous. What is truly ironic is that soccer is among the most popular sports for youth in the US who go to summer camp--and grade school. But for whatever reason, it never seemed to go beyond high school interest. No question it will be big. Bringing B to the US was a genius move IMO.

Add to the equation the number of South American immigrants in the US; football is very popular in Mexico & Latin America.

Soccer will definitely take off in the US. Too much money behind it. Most popular sport in the world, and the money to be made with US leagues is tremendous. What is truly ironic is that soccer is among the most popular sports for youth in the US who go to summer camp--and grade school. But for whatever reason, it never seemed to go beyond high school interest. No question it will be big. Bringing B to the US was a genius move IMO.

Being a veteran of many sport forums, I just have to disagree with regret, Kollektor.

The time for soccer to have taken off in the US was in the 1930s, after the USA came in third in the very first World Cup ever (winning the "bronze" if you will, after perennial powerhouses, Uruguay and Argentina!).

It didn't. It remained a niche sport, which oddly until recently was always seen as either a "daggum foreigner" sport, as it was also seen in Canada and Australia, or a sport played by the upper-class elite in prep schools and ivy league, private Universities.

Highly ironic, given soccer's universal working-class status. But there we are.

There were two other occasions when soccer could've REALLY taken off in the US (in the 1950s, as the US transitioned from baseball to gridiron football), and perhaps in the 1970s (with the NASL and Pele-mania).

WC 1994 really helped, but even so, it comes a distant...7th? behind:

NFL

MLB

NBA

NASCAR

College Ball (football, basketball, sometimes baseball)

NHL

...MLS??

Add to the equation the number of South American immigrants in the US; football is very popular in Mexico & Latin America.

The problem with this is that people have been predicting this "immigrant" impetus for soccer's growth since the 1920s.

And it's always the case that the immigrants EVENTUALLY adapt to the cultural environment, how ever slowly it may seem these days.

This is why third-generation Greeks in Australia love Aussie Rules over soccer, whereas their parents may not have as much (debateable).

It is said that my hero, Lou Gehrig, could play some mean soccer which his German parents still found discomfitting (they wanted him to become an engineer, like his uncle, that's why he went to Columbia), but at least they understood the impulse better than playing that bizarre baseball of his.

So, with regret, I don't think soccer will ever be the national obsession it is in England, or Brazil.

I think the rest of the world likes that a lot, because when Americans put their whole mind, spirit, and body into ANYTHING, you might as well go home. Like the US women, they'd probably win a World Cup like THAT.