When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can Neo or YOU identify this person

gran

I see some great possibilities for a pyramid scheme with this new money thingy...

Anyone see what I mean?

Now I start to understand your choice for AVATAR :bangin: you like fiction more than facts...with me its the other wayround :p

39627-38366.jpg

Nest question will come within the hour..be patient :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now I start to understand your choice for AVATAR :bangin: you like fiction more than facts...with me its the other wayround :p

Maybe so.

But at least I'd know what to do with a giant Galapagos turtle if I found one in my bed, gran.

Cast not the first stone...

Gran:

Back in Dec. 2004, Neo (aka Max) he and I were discussing Progress Watch Co. being absent after all the press. Here was his PM:

"Hi Omni,

It looks like Progress Watch AG has ended its activities in June 2001 after their glorious start in August 1998.

Looks they had some fraudulent problems within the company and the stock exchange committee (Nasdaq) had suspended them from not fulfilling their obligations.

I found a series of articles in German, but you can have it Google translated to at least be able to understand the basic significances.

Here is the last article from a series of Progress Watch AG.

I have tried to translate it the best I could. The original in German is included.

Progress Watch AG

"Progress Watch Finished"

In 1986 Elmar Mock made himself independant with its own "idea tank" under the name "Createc", later renamed into "Creaholic". The Bieler company does not want to be a general engineer's office, but to point out new ways and to realize unusual concepts.

The Creaholic AG employs 25 persons with a turnover of four millions SF. Before a next development step the strong growth of the two last years must be retained according to Mock. Todate the company belongs to six partners of which Mock still possesses 47 per cent of the share capital. Creaholic won already three times the price "Technology Standard Switzerland".

Elmar Mock had made headlines in addition with the publicly delivered controversy over the Bieler progress Watch. As a member of the board of directors, Mock had discovered financial irregularities in the last autumn. After he demanded an inquiry, he was dismissed. Still emotional Mock now admits to be relieved of the many court procedures and his disconnection with Progresses Watch. Retrospectively he said to be impressed by the creativity of his business partners, but disappointed about their ethical conduct.

---

Progress Watch AG

«Mit Progress Watch abgeschlossen»

Elmar Mock hat sich 1986 mit seiner eigenen «Ideenschmiede» selbständig gemacht - erst unter dem Namen «Createc», später folgte die Umbenennung in «Creaholic». Die Bieler Firma will kein gewöhnliches Ingenieurbüro sein, sondern neue Wege aufzeigen und ungewöhnliche Konzepte realisieren. Die Creaholic AG beschäftigt 25 Personen und erzielt einen Umsatz von vier Mio. Franken. Vor einem nächsten Ausbauschritt muss laut Mock das starke Wachstum der beiden letzten Jahre verarbeitet werden. Die Firma gehört heute sechs Partnern, Mock besitzt noch 47 Prozent des Aktienkapitals. Creaholic hat bereits dreimal den Preis «Technologiestandort Schweiz» gewonnen.

Schlagzeilen gemacht hatte Elmar Mock zuletzt aber auch mit dem öffentlich ausgetragenen Streit um die Bieler Progress Watch. Als Mitglied des Verwaltungsrats will Mock im letzten Herbst finanzielle Unregelmässigkeiten entdeckt haben. Nachdem er Aufklärung verlangt hatte, wurde er abgesetzt. Emotional noch immer aufgewühlt erklärt Mock nun, durch die verschiedenen Gerichtsurteile entlastet zu sein - und mit der Progress Watch abgeschlossen zu haben. Rückblickend bilanziert er, von der Kreativität der Geschäftspartner begeistert gewesen zu sein. Enttäuscht habe ihn aber deren ethisches Verhalten.

http://www.bielertagblatt.ch/dossier.cfm?s...261&dos=aktuell

Although their main web site is already non-active (http://www.progresswatch.com), it is very odd to see they still are noted on Nasdaq (their handle is: PROW). See for example http://quotes.barchart.com/quote.asp?sym=PROW&code=BUSFNLN

Maybe it was taken over...

Anyway, here is the link with a history of Progress Watch AG.

http://www.bielertagblatt.ch/dossier.cfm?s...261&dos=aktuell

I hope this will shed some light for their market absence the last years.

Cheers.

Max ;)"

:lol:

This thread is turning out quite differently than intended but its more fun this way

g. :)

ZURICH, Switzerland, Sep 23, 2005 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Progress Watch Corp (PROW) announces that it has developed and filed a patent application for yet another revolutionary watch movement complementing the "Triple Tourbillon Movement" Progress Watch announced on August 9th, 2005. The company has coined the name STAR for the new "See-through triple axes rotary" tourbillon movement.

The Company continues to develop radically new, unique, and innovative precision watch technology. STAR, their newest creation features a movement with a single, three axes rotary tourbillon, indicating time directly from the tourbillon's position, without the need for additional hands.

You got the correct person :thumbsupsmileyanim: but we need some more detalis about his life :g: and what he has done for watches..why is he wearing 6 or so watches at the same time? :bicycle:

Go do your homework properly

Horologist

Gunnar Gran :)

He doesn't have a GMT watch with 6 time zones? :huh:

He doesn't have a GMT watch with 6 time zones? :huh:

Answer = he controled all those brands.....he wanted to show that he cares equally about all of them......in fact the conmglomerate of a company he led now controls 18 major watch brands :o

"Today, Swatch employs 20,000 staff in 157 factories, and accounts for around 25% of the world's watch production. With nearly 20 brands in its stable, the company's portfolio covers practically all segments of the market, from low-end brands like Swatch to mid-segment Tissot and Calvin Klein, to exclusive, luxury brands like Omega, Blancpain and Balmain and Breguet. . Nicolas Hayek has always been a showman, often wearing three watches on each arm from wrist to elbow, and mystifying his interviewers with obtuse comments; "If I am desperate, unhappy, unsuccessful, I sleep one night and the next day I remind myself that a real entrepreneur is an artist that creates new things, new jobs and overcomes obstacles." Dismiss him at your peril though-his success is unquestionable."

You got the correct person :thumbsupsmileyanim: but we need some more detalis about his life :g: and what he has done for watches..why is he wearing 6 or so watches at the same time? :bicycle:

Go do your homework properly

Horologist

Gunnar Gran :)

Greatest Achievement: Being father of Salma... I can't stop watching her ;)

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

Answer = he controled all those brands.....he wanted to show that he cares equally about all of them......in fact the conmglomerate of a company he led now controls 18 major watch brands :o

"Today, Swatch employs 20,000 staff in 157 factories, and accounts for around 25% of the world's watch production. With nearly 20 brands in its stable, the company's portfolio covers practically all segments of the market, from low-end brands like Swatch to mid-segment Tissot and Calvin Klein, to exclusive, luxury brands like Omega, Blancpain and Balmain and Breguet. . Nicolas Hayek has always been a showman, often wearing three watches on each arm from wrist to elbow, and mystifying his interviewers with obtuse comments; "If I am desperate, unhappy, unsuccessful, I sleep one night and the next day I remind myself that a real entrepreneur is an artist that creates new things, new jobs and overcomes obstacles." Dismiss him at your peril though-his success is unquestionable."

I know, just adding some levity.

:D

Fell asleep in the middle of my last reply last night and just added that now. Gonna have last nights dinner at 8am now :Jumpy:

This is the NEW task to solve!!!

This man had a vision of a more reliable wristwatch without the opening for the windingstem (windingstem = an entrance place for dust and moisture). For this reason he set out to improve the wrist watch..he was not Swiss....there is a not very well know watch Brand barely in existence today carrying his English last name..

Who is the man and what did he do and was he the first to do it?

post-1519-1147161327_thumb.jpg

:3a: You win cornerstone :3a:

But was he really the first to invent the automatic winding apparatus? dig and you shall find.

g. :)

I wasn't sure, which is why I hedged my bets with 'patented'! :lol:

But you did ask the question if it was true.... :g:

Safe way to answer :) but who invented automatic winding?....I guess one has to go way back -_-

Safe way to answer :) but who invented automatic winding?....I guess one has to go way back -_-

Wasnt this Patek Philippe?

Abraham-Louis Perrelet?

I think so.....I wrote at length about this back at the oild RWG maybe someone should dig that up and transfer here..I cant do it myself too busy

Abraham-Louis Perrelet?

Actually you're right, so much for my shots in the dark :Jumpy:

It says so here:

http://www.worldtempus.com/wt/1/6791/

Look under "1750-1850 : The birth of the modern watch"

Should have searched beforehand :bangin:

Great to know that the automatic movement is that old (1780+) :)

This is the new question

Who is this horologist and what wonder did he invent?

40683-38168.jpg

I guess it was not very common to take photograps or daguerreotypes back in those days..so here is a byst of him ^_^

Abraham Louis Breguet!

Yes :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The name is not enough..we need more about his invention, year make etc..lets learn some solid Horology iwhile we are at it :p

What didn't he do?

"He studied watchmaking in France and in England and invented different escapement methods, including the tourbillon, and re-winding mechanisms. His watches and clocks are widely regarded as some of the most beautiful and technically-accomplished."

That pictured bust is on his grave. Unless, someone else wanted his face on their grave....

Thanks Gunnar! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Been enjoying myself!

Yes :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The name is not enough..we need more about his invention, year make etc..lets learn some solid Horology iwhile we are at it :p

Back from work, he invented the Tourbillon. It was in the link I gave earlier.

1795 Abraham-Louis Breguet invented the tourbillon, which he patented in 1801