When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Richard Lawton's solid gold Day-Date

By-Tor

I was searching the old RWG (ssh, don't tell anyone)... and found this picture of Richard Lawton's solid 18K gold Day-Date. It was purchased from Paul in 2004, and I recall the price was something around $2.5K. Yes, it IS real solild gold.

Personally, I'm not a fan of DayDate/DJ line, but this is quite amazing rep if you ask me. I hope you don't mind Richard, but this watch deserves a thread here as well. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

289600-6180.jpg

Picture by Richard Lawton of course.

That sure is a lot of gold to try to float thru Customs! But when you consider that you see solid gold Day-Date cases on ebay for $3.4K, it's not too bad a deal. Personally, I'd buy a gen 16800 or 16610 instead with the money. I'm just not a gold DD type of person.

There are pro's and con's...some will say dropping that kind of dough on a rep is foolish and I have to agree with that but... :whistling:

I really love the gold day-date president! A new one is too pricey while a used one will yeild a floopy band with lots of play...basically the more you spend the nicer the watch. I bought a used President several years ago and spent 6,800.00 USD. I loved the watch but the band was extremely stretched. I sold the watch for roughly what I spent...I miss it :wounded1:

I often consider Paul's all gold President. First and formost you really have to love the watch (which I do) and accept the fact that you are married to it for a long time. It is in no way a investment and the resale market is small...very small. I would mod the watch by adding a genuine tube and crown and possibly a genuine dial. By adding a genuine crown/ tube you eliminate the weakest leak point and you have a watch that would withstand swimming. I wonder what the clasp is made from...I believe my gen was a rose gold but I might be wrong...

Another pro I consider is that I work on my own movements...ETA are great to work on and parts are abundant! No dealing with Rolex AD's and the outragous prices they charge. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The only thing I would be leary of is Paul should the watch be confiscated by Customs. Paul's site states that he will re-ship if that happens but Paul is Paul...it's

not like he's replacing a noob-mariner...you know what I'm getting at?