When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

16600 Sea-Dweller just in from Andrew

predfan2001

I've never even really considered purchasing a Sea-Dweller, I just like Submariners better. This watch was actually the result of a deal gone bad. I've been looking for a 5512 or a 5513 for months but it's just never worked out. It seems the vintage models must be out of production because nobody has them. I ordered a 5513 from Trustytime without making sure it was available. Turned out it wasn't so Andrew emailed me and asked if I wanted a refund. I said no, I'll just pick something else. Lord only knows why, but the next email I got from him he offered me a "perfect" Sea-Dweller for the $$ I had already paided him for the out of stock watch (btw...there is quite a bit of $$ difference between the two, that's just the kind of guy Andrew is...A+) . I said ok since I don't have a 16600. It just arrived today and I am very pleased. The rehaut is deep and the cgs look good. I like the way the thicker back sits the watch up higher on the wrist. Needless to say, my first MBW purchase will most likely be a 1665. Thanks Andrew! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

290430-5811.jpg

Edited by predfan2001

so if the rehaut on this case is good why dont people buy it and swap Noobmariner parts into it?? cheap good sub?

The 16600 has a HE valve in the side. That makes it a Sea-Dweller case only. And it wouldn't be cheap. The "perfect" SD lists for $328.00 usd.

The one I'd like to do is mod a Noob into a modern nodate if I had a 27mm dial that was accurate. I just love the nodates.

Edited by predfan2001

stupid me i didnt even think about the HE lol...i knew about that too! hehe

Don't worry, we all miss things from time to time. I ordered a 5517 thinking I was going to put an oyster band on it....duh. I knew better but got ahead of myself. Still wanting a vintage nodate 5512 or 5513 :wacko:

Edited by predfan2001

ok, thats where im lost....i was looking at a 5517 (thats the military sub right?) i like those funky hands..... it doesnt fit on any bracelet?

i noticed it comes with the nato only....

wanna explain that one? =)

There are no spring bars. On the 5517 they are "soldered" in place so a NATO is the only option. I just think the 5517 is one of the better (and more accurate) looking mid line ETA reps.

Of course many people here will preach to buy a MBW for quality, I have hesitations about spending that much on a rep till I really know which one I want. Right know I feel it would be a 1665 or a 1680.

I am excited about the new Silix models even though the bezel is wrong. I figure in time the guys here that mod will let us know how to correct that. I do know that about $200 will get you the correct style bezel, wheather it will fit or not is another question. I have the ROL223 on the way along with a riveted band. Can't wait to get it!

I don't really expect to pull off wearing a rep that represents a $10000+ gen, I'm just a fan of Rolex and I will never be able to afford a gen "Bond". I have owned a gen 5513 and I kick myself everyday for getting rid of it years ago. At the time I considered that a "Bond" because of the Roger Moore era of 007 movies.

Edited by predfan2001

The 'springbars' in the 5517 are solid & permanently welded between the lugs (they cannot be removed), so there is no way to fit the end pieces required to attach a bracelet to the case. Straps like the Nato are weaved in between the case and the bars, which is why they fit and why you never see these watches with a bracelet (unless someone drilled out the lugs, removed the bars and fit standard springbars in their place).

The 'springbars' in the 5517 are solid & permanently welded between the lugs (they cannot be removed), so there is no way to fit the end pieces required to attach a bracelet to the case. Straps like the Nato are weaved in between the case and the bars, which is why they fit and why you never see these watches with a bracelet (unless someone drilled out the lugs, removed the bars and fit standard springbars in their place).

I actually thought getting a 5517 (since the dial looks pretty accurate) and attempting to remove the "T" very carefully. If that was successful I would then swap the movement into a standard vintage rep case with an oyster band and install a new set of Mercedes style Sub hands. Viola, a 5513. Just kind of pricey but what are the options. A MBW 5513s dial is a little too yellow in my opinion. If I went that route the vintage case would require cg mods and a gen tube/crown. Sounds pretty drastic I know, but I'm running out of options.

Edited by predfan2001