When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do you decide?

tmark

This is a serious question from a newbie. It seems there are at least 20 watches that appeal to me. How the hell do you experienced rep buyers decide what to buy? Do you have criteria that you think about, like compare to gen, when and where I would wear it, bling factor, chick magnet etc??? If I had unlimited fun money I would be sending some big bucks to Ed, Josh and Andrew. So seriously how do you narrow it down?

sometimes is a difficult decision...but sometimes it depends on funds...sometimes i see a watch that "I HAVE TO HAVE" and sometimes it is just a moment of inspiration...and in the end sometimes it is just the special occasion or special offer that makes me choos "the one" that i buy!

and just for the info...you are not the only one that has a 20 (or more) watch wishlist!

everyone on the forum has the same problem

First, ask yourself if you could only have one watch, which would it be? I'd consider lifestyle and appropriateness to a wide variety of occasions.

Planning to buy more than one? Sort them by style. If several are scuba style, which is the best/favorite scuba? Same for dress watches, chronos, etc. Then you can decide which niche in your collection you want to fill first, second, and so on. Your favorites by style, and your purchase priorities will probably change, but it's worthwhile to at least establish priorities.

Eval the movements and the dealers who offer that watches you are interested in.

You have to decide how important accuracy to the real watch is to you.

How much are you willing/able to pay? Nobody can answer that but you.

For myself, I have watches that I consider part of a longer-term purchase strategy, and others that are "what the f**k" impulse purchases. I try to stick to the former, but have been tempted more than a few times by the latter.

You are correct to ask the questions you raised. Take your time studying pictures and reading reviews -- and even browsing watch shops before you purchase. Better to purchase thoughtfully than to purchase fast.

Cheers.

... don't buy watches that are "almost as good as the one I reaaaaaaaally want" because you're just wasting money that you will eventually put toward the one you reaaaaaaaally want anyway.

Amen to that . The corollary is to resist the temptation to buy a new model when it first comes out. I bit on a first generation Planet Ocean (one of my "wtf" moments), and overall I am happy with it. But I would have been even happier for the long term with a more recent, higher quality version.

Good advice from all above. I especially like the "If you could only have one watch" approach. From there, sorting them out in order of preference. Also, you'll be amazed at how much your preferences evolve. I didn't know anything about Panerai when I stumbled upon RWG, but I love them. Now, there are certain watches that seem too small to me, so your top 20 may change over time.

Finally, I echo the advice of going for quality, evaluating the movements and not skimping. If you do the latter, everytime you look at it you say "I should have ponied up." My approach has been better to have a few nice reps than a bunch of mediocre reps.

Good luck. Climb on.

Finally, I echo the advice of going for quality, evaluating the movements and not skimping. If you do the latter, everytime you look at it you say "I should have ponied up." My approach has been better to have a few nice reps than a bunch of mediocre reps.

Good luck. Climb on.

I will second that notion...concentrate on the quality of the reps versus quantity...for me, i am drawn to the Panerai reps more than anything...so for me, its the brand. :3a:

Others might be drawn to a style of watch...i.e., dress, sport, diver..etc. That could be another way to narrow down your choices. :g:

good luck and happy hunting with your new addiction B)

Guest sub4me
tech you are right it is an ADDICTION-- do they have and AARWG branch---

but tech your posts are so confusing can't take my eyes off your avatar!

LOL I like his avatar too and want to see the rest. B)

A word of warning, this is a severe addiction.

Almost all my money has been going on watches the past few months.

Don't fall into the trap. Take your time, sleep on a decision and if you still like the watch, think some more and then decide.

I'd say it goes like this:

First decide what you want the watch for. Do you want it for everyday show?

Do you want to only wear it on special occasions?

Do you want it to be a big chick magnet mofo of a watch?

Once you decide what you want from your FIRST watch act accordingly.

Spend your time finding the best quality for the price you can afford (or can't afford, lol).

Once you have this First watch out of the way everything becomes much more easy.

The rest of the watches will actually fall more easily into place after this.

In other words, don't buy a watch that you want to wear at your grandsons wedding tomorrow, buy the one you are going to wear to work to make your friends sick with envy or to smooch every chick in the club!

Thats what i did anyways and i'm happy so far.

And as everyone has said. Patience is key. Research is key and never be afraid to ask a dealer any question. Even if it makes you sound as about as intelligent as a carrot. Just ask it.

Jaymoi

It's very hard just to buy one. You just have to ask yourself wish ones you like the most and make a list including prices. This will be your "got to have list". Give it some thinking to that list and place them in some kind of order. You can arange them by preference or by prices for example, it's up to you. After you have that list you can start buying, buy the first in your list. Then you can crossout the ones that you get and add the ones that catch your heart.

You will see that it will become an endless list but at least it will bring some order to your new addiction. Welcome to this insane hobby.

Diego

For me ..its better to go ...Quality over quantity..I dont buy jsut any watch I like..I will think over it for days..weeks or months...during that time..I will do a lot of research ..here and there...and sometimes..Im lucky to get to see the watch that I like face to face...thenn...I will try to strike ..the best out of it ....quality ..is the precious thing to have ...A QUALITY TIME ..:):)

you have a lot of times in this world....but how many can you get a QUALITY TIMES??

:)

This is a serious question from a newbie. It seems there are at least 20 watches that appeal to me. How the hell do you experienced rep buyers decide what to buy? Do you have criteria that you think about, like compare to gen, when and where I would wear it, bling factor, chick magnet etc??? If I had unlimited fun money I would be sending some big bucks to Ed, Josh and Andrew. So seriously how do you narrow it down?

I narrow it down by trying to focus on a series. For example, I am trying to complete a collection of vintage sport rollies. So far, I've got a 1665 (sea dweller), 6263 (daytona) and 1680 (submariner). I'll pick up a genuine vintage dress rollie to round out the set, such as an early Oyster Perpetual or even Precision. And, all black dial, of course. First and foremost, however, is sticking to quality - not quantity. That's my view, anyway.

42883-37842.jpg

42883-37843.jpg

42883-37844.jpg

Then, I'll try to build a similar set in Panerai. I've already picked up the first piece for that series, a 217. I will pick up a 212 and a Militare with brevet crown.

42883-37845.jpg

In short, try to come up with a theme for a series and build your collection around the chosen theme. You might try such categories as chronographs, dress watches, or stick to particular brands. Hope that helps.

Guest sub4me

Its always a hard decsion. I buy ones that I plan on keeping and try to get the best movement I can. I think its best to buy quality reps that you can enjoy for a long period.

Thanks all for your insite- It seems like a common thread is have a plan, think how and when you will use watch, take your time -- try not to impulse buy---. Finally, and perhaps most important-- go for quality.

Which brings my next question and a plug for my link at The Zigmeister zone. How do you determine what movements are OK and what aren't. For example it sounds like if yo want a Daytona virtualy all the movements are problematic. And how do we define quality? Should I expect a watch to run continuosly for 5 years then service then another 5 years or what??? Take a look at my attempt to rank various movements here:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=4312

I want to buy watches that I can use and enjoy, not ones that are sitting on The Zigmeisters table waiting to be fixed!!

thanks

mark