When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to cut stem?

mojo2001

After installing a gen crown and tube on my MBW 1665, it appears the stem is too long.

I can't get the crown to screw down and the cause appears to be that the crown will not push in deeply enough to engage the threads on the tube. Need to get the crown in by few more mm.

My question: What is the best way to cut a threaded stem to least distort the threads?

Any hints appreciated

mojo

New stems must be cut to the correct length for your watch. I use wire cutters, which are similar to pliers except that their jaws are made to cut instead of grip. I would strongly recommend that you cut a bit and then test it with the crown just snugged onto the stem. You will probably need to cut and test several times before hitting the right length. Just be careful not to rush and cut too much off. If you cut it too short, you are out of luck. Once you have it just a bit beyond the right length, you might file the end down to a flat so it screws into the crown easier. You will need a pin vise to tighten it finger-tight. Do not use a tool to tighten it more than that or you will shear the stem off.

If you have the old stem, you can use that as a guide. Just start a little longer and cut a couple of threads at a time until you get it right.

Not to hijack the thread but, I have a related question. I ordered a replacement 2824-2 stem from a well known supplier by part number. What I got was just the portion of the stem that fits into the keyless works. I called and explained that I needed a stem with the post or threaded portion also. I received the post or threaded half only. I never realized that the stem came in two parts which I can't figure how they can be put together anyway. :g: Can someone tell me how I can use these two parts or do I simply need to locate a one piece stem?