When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Getting a Date Just got easier ...

freddy333

Sometimes, best laid plans go astray ...

What began as a simple idea to fit a gen dial into a standard rep has turned into something considerably more involved & rather quite magical (not to mention educational).

For years, I have been tossing all of my old/worn out gen parts into a 'junk' box, never actually intending to do anything with them (I just did not have the heart to throw them away). But while I was working on my Datejust project I realized I had alot of parts rusting away in that junk box. So, in the midst of 2 other projects (in case you missed it, here is an update on the 6239 project), I set about gathering & sorting all the parts into small piles on my work table to see exactly what I had collected over the course of 20 or so years. I was surprised to find that I had almost enough to put together a watch. A badly scratched, dented & dinged watch, but a watch none the less. In fact, I had the makings for one of my remaining grail watches -- a mid-80s stainless Datejust, and most of it was sitting there on the table in front of me.

So, in between my Daytona projects, I started sanding, buffing & polishing and then did some more sanding, buffing & polishing to see what I could come up with. And what I came up with amazed even me. I still have a bit more to do before this project is ready for public display, but here is a 'before' shot of the work in progress to give you an idea

296160-1653.jpg

Can you tell what I have ticking away inside this case?

BINGO.

And not just a 3035, but a NOS 3035. It is a long story, but the movement crossed my path completely unexpectedly & by total chance. Had the timing not been exactly right, I would have missed it. And I got it for a song..........ok, a little more than a song, but not much more.

I am not quite sure what to call it since it will consist of 100% gen parts, but collected from different watches, sources & over the space of 20 years. I think it probably falls into a narrow category between gen & franken..

well if its 100% gen parts then its 100% gen!! cant wait to see the finished product!

Not unless it has a serial number that ties the movement to the case. If it's made of gen parts, it's a Frankenstein Watch, but a real one. You couldn't sell it as a gen for gen prices, for instance.

ps. I can't wait to see it.

I will post before and after photos when the watch is complete. Just waiting for 1 key component that I am expecting any day now, then it will be done. It is quite a handsome compliment to the 2 Newmans. While the differences (in fit & finish) between the gen & a good rep are minimal, they are quite apparent, even when viewed from the distance of across a room. Like Ubi found with his gen 16520 dials, white gold shimmers and reflects light in a way that polished steel just cannot match. I think that if I had the original Rolex box & packaging, it would look like one of those rare NOS finds that collectors come across on rare occasions when older watchmakers close their shop and sell off their stock. This is definitely the best salvage work I have done to date (tapping self on shoulder)

296726-1281.jpg