When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 029 GMT - Debunking the Myth and My Finished Product

Watchmeister

For all those skeptics who said there never was a 29 L Swiss L here is the first listing I have ever come upon for sale -

and it is a B series. ;)

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353390/thre...rmal+attire----

Here are the pics from the sale below superimposed with my 029. Mine is fully loaded with Watchmaster Cyclops, Lello Date wheel, Jimmy Crown Guard, Genuine Crown and Relume. Big thanks to Ziggy who has put up with my sending it back and forth for more than 2 years. I hope you agree it was worth it. My pics aren't great (a combination of my photo skills and my kid's camera) but you get the picture. :lol:

Gen:

296936-1123.jpg

296936-1124.jpg

Rep:

296936-1125.jpg

296936-1126.jpg

296936-1127.jpg

Gen:

296936-1128.jpg

Rep:

296936-1129.jpg

Gen:

296936-1130.jpg

Rep:

296936-1131.jpg

A couple of sidenotes:

Ziggys lume is perfect. It looks off in the pictures as a result of shrinking the picture.

The differential in the angle of the bezel on the rep versus the gen is not as big either. It is a result of the camera angle.

Where'd you get the cyclops. I have one for my 63 that is the right size (~6mm) but isn't that clear... looks like there is a little one inside the big one, and you get a bad reflection coming off the smaller of the two, if that makes any sense...

Those particular cyclops were made explicitly for the GMT by a group for forum members. They are the proper 6mm size and good magnification. But their is a limited viewing angle and they can have reflection as is the case with the gen. Panerai has significantly improved its crystal/cyclops combination over the ensuing years. With lenses that small and tolerances tight installation can have a huge impact. You may be talking about the gen though as none of the rep pics show the date. The cyclops you have may be the same one as what is on mine. Here are some pics of the date with that cyclops on a pair of GMT's.

297097-1002.jpg

297097-1003.jpg

By the way, if you look closely on the gen pics you can see pics in the background which show the date and the gen cyclops are better but have the same issue. Sssurfer may have a better version out now. PM him. If you like what you see on mine let me know and I will go look and see if I have any left.

The hands are a little long. But you tell me - are the gen hands worth $300 or more now?

297325-900.jpg

One of them has the gen set (but bought when they were $199). ;) And while we are at it the one on the left has the Palp crown versus the gen on the right. That watch is back with Ziggy for the crown swap..

Thanks for the pics Kruzer..... my 029 is with Ziggy now ,,, after being viciously modded.... it will have to be stripped of all lume and redone ...

out of respect for this forum i will not get into the party that did the first lume and mod's or what i paid, let's just say it was like a mechanic fabricating shortcuts and claiming quality work .. all i will say is i know ziggy will care for it like his own

members having their watches modded for the first time .... how can we be sure of quality and charges ???? Well I guess lessons are to be learned and patience to wait for honest ,... trustworthy ,... Modders .... you may have to wait a while to get an appointment .. but believe me it will be worth it ..in the long run..

I will Man up and keep what happen to my 029 the first time i had it modded to myself... but if any other members are taken advantage of and i know about it .. i will not hesitate to post the pics ... that will show the proof of the work that was claimed to be done on my 029 and the kind of work and shortcuts that were actually taken..

So be forwarned ...... do not take advantage of members ie. overcharging ... unless you have a law Degree...LOL

I hope the person that did my 029 the first time will ammend his way's.... and the way to set this right is ... DON'T DO IT AGAIN

lanikai

Edited by lanikai

I dunno, man. The gen hands must be on the one on the right, they look shorter, but you'd have to be doing a side by side comparison with a VERY knowledgeable person (an AD or Panerai nut probably) to have anyone notice. If I were that nuts about it, I'd pony oup the big $ and get a gen. I don't think its worth it.

What are you doing with the crowns? Are you getting rid of the palp crown for the gen, or the other way around? I think the 2mm looks closer to the gen, even given the extra wide CG...

I dunno, man. The gen hands must be on the one on the right, they look shorter, but you'd have to be doing a side by side comparison with a VERY knowledgeable person (an AD or Panerai nut probably) to have anyone notice. If I were that nuts about it, I'd pony oup the big $ and get a gen. I don't think its worth it.

What are you doing with the crowns? Are you getting rid of the palp crown for the gen, or the other way around? I think the 2mm looks closer to the gen, even given the extra wide CG...

Lanikai-

Sorry to hear of your issues and kudos for you for bringing it up. I am sure Ziggy will "reinvigorate" it. Hopefully the person who did it will read this and be mindful. If you hear of others having problems I hope you will reveal who it is.

JMT-

The gen hands are on the left. ;) On the crowns I am swapping the Palp for a gen. The reason is that both watches have Jimmy CG's and the Jimmy CG is properly proportioned (right size hole) such that the Palp crown looks way too big (IMHO). I will use it on a standard CG where the size of the crown will better fill the larger hole. :)

I am swapping the Palp for a gen. The reason is that both watches have Jimmy CG's and the Jimmy CG is properly proportioned (right size hole) such that the Palp crown looks way too big (IMHO). I will use it on a standard CG where the size of the crown will better fill the larger hole. :)

I keep hearing about these Jimmy CGs. Where do you get them?

Lanikai-

Sorry to hear of your issues and kudos for you for bringing it up. I am sure Ziggy will "reinvigorate" it. Hopefully the person who did it will read this and be mindful. If you hear of others having problems I hope you will reveal who it is.

JMT-

The gen hands are on the left. ;) On the crowns I am swapping the Palp for a gen. The reason is that both watches have Jimmy CG's and the Jimmy CG is properly proportioned (right size hole) such that the Palp crown looks way too big (IMHO). I will use it on a standard CG where the size of the crown will better fill the larger hole. :)

Kruzer,

Thank you for your concern,... yes I too hope the person who did the so called "mod work" on my 029 then charged me 355 usd and told me that it took over a full day's work .. All i can say is I am not going to cry "over spilt milk" .. and i believe in redemption ... make amends by never doing this again ..

I would like to think that this Forum is a place where members can trust others and are here for the passion and HOBBY of watch collecting .. I believe this is such a place..

So with that being said .. I will move on and again, I hope to NEVER hear of anything like this ... I never make threats... JUST PROMISES

Beautiful watch Kruzer :)

Unfortunately, mine, with the same mods/parts (relume, jimmy fu, palp crown) are still with Finepics... haven't heard from him in a month now since sending him my watch in February :(

Ubi-

Between the Daytonas and some other watches I have seen in your collection I don't think I would be kicking myself too hard. :lol: But thanks for the sentiment.

Getting back to the debunking topic there is now a second L Swiss L on Risti:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353390/thre...iamonds.........

It is just too funny that I have been searching for this evidence for 2-3 years and in the space of two days we see two of them.